CDF03E7F-7ACA-4675-9420-3BE025F13EAA.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 423B8A12-6884-472F-AE77-222E96AC4F25.jpeg
    423B8A12-6884-472F-AE77-222E96AC4F25.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 163

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Having combat skill through streetfighting is one thing, figuring out Mind Tricks after like 10 minutes into being imprisoned is another. An escape scene could have just as easily played off of her abilities as a junker/mechanic.
You need to go no further than Snoke's line "There has been an awakening".

For whatever reason, Rey's force abilities have been suppressed for her entire life until they suddenly come back. It would follow that the ability to use them would start to emerge as will. I have never had my hands on an Heckler & Koch MP5, but put one in my hands and I can probably take out an evil minion.

It is also not like she suddenly became Yoda incarnate. It took her 2 tries to mind trick a stormtrooper (that stromtrooper was 007, but still). Had she pulled a Star Destroyer out of the sky then that would have been a bit much.

bclane

It simultaneously relies on Original Trilogy nostalgia and going "Look at how much better our version of that thing you loved from the old movies is" to such a degree that the Era feels lacking in its own identity.
"Remember how the Death Star could blow up a planet? Ours blows up five planets at once and has lightspeed beams! You know how Luke took three movies of training to get good? Well Rey sped through the basic curriculum in a single movie! Our Yoda's a thousand years old and runs a super-Cantina! And if you liked the evil old man, we got an eviler and older looking man! You guys hated the politics of the prequels right? Well now you have no real context for what's going on and we blow up the New Republic without ever elaborating on it!"

The Last Jedi looks to be mixing some things up, but its starting on an awkward foundation and while it's probably going to be great if they're confident enough in what Johnson has done to give him a spinoff trilogy, it's still gonna have a JJ Abrams movie coming in afterwards.
I remember having this discussion right after seeing VII with some friends about whether the fact that Force Awakens rehashes some of the major plot points from Star Wars weakens the movie to the point of ruining it or if it was actually a necessary evil and enjoyable in it's own right. Basically what I concluded was that it was necessary (and quite enjoyable for me) due to how a lot of fans of the OT were disenfranchised by the prequels. I think they felt that VII needed to basically soft reboot the entire Star Wars saga, while simultaneously moving the story forward. I think they accomplished that in spades. If all we were getting was VII then I would be disappointed as well, but when I consider that it was just the beginning of what will be an annual Star Wars party going forward, I am really pleased with what they accomplished. I am actually very excited to see what JJ can so with IX since he will no longer feel the need to soft reboot the franchise.

britain

I remember having this discussion right after seeing VII with some friends about whether the fact that Force Awakens rehashes some of the major plot points from Star Wars weakens the movie to the point of ruining it or if it was actually a necessary evil and enjoyable in it's own right. Basically what I concluded was that it was necessary (and quite enjoyable for me) due to how a lot of fans of the OT were disenfranchised by the prequels. I think they felt that VII needed to basically soft reboot the entire Star Wars saga, while simultaneously moving the story forward. I think they accomplished that in spades. If all we were getting was VII then I would be disappointed as well, but when I consider that it was just the beginning of what will be an annual Star Wars party going forward, I am really pleased with what they accomplished. I am actually very excited to see what JJ can so with IX since he will no longer feel the need to soft reboot the franchise.

Exactly. Episode 7 was a vaccination against any temptation to hard reboot the franchise.

bclane

You need to go no further than Snoke's line "There has been an awakening".

For whatever reason, Rey's force abilities have been suppressed for her entire life until they suddenly come back. It would follow that the ability to use them would start to emerge as will. I have never had my hands on an Heckler & Koch MP5, but put one in my hands and I can probably take out an evil minion.

It is also not like she suddenly became Yoda incarnate. It took her 2 tries to mind trick a stormtrooper (that stromtrooper was 007, but still). Had she pulled a Star Destroyer out of the sky then that would have been a bit much.
I agree with all of that. I also think that Rey is going to turn out to be something quite special and unique in regards to her ability to use the Force. Just based on the look on Luke's face in the trailer, I think that she's gonna turn out to be scary powerful.

alias8703

This^^^

I have been a Star Wars geek since I first saw it in the theaters in 1977 at the ripe old age of 6. That movie grabbed me and still holds a firm grip 40 years later.

Was Episode 7 fan service? Absolutely.

Regardless of that, I still felt just like the guys from Big Bang Theory at the end.

big-bang-star-wars.jpg

This is the first time I'm encountering someone who actually watches The Big Bang Theory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom