Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Hatbox Ghostbuster

As a "Disneyland", let me just say that I feel no superiority one way or the other between parks. Each have their plusses and minuses.

My concern(?) was wondering if DHS would have enough space between Alcatraz and Muppets to fit in all that we've seen being built at DL so far. By quick comparison shots, the concrete queue extension in DL seems like it will be an ultra tight fit at DHS. THAT is the all I've ever wondered about.

I love both parks the same. (except Epcot slightly more). And I have to agree that DHS is the far better placing for SWL than DL. But we kinda got screwed with options out west.

Mike S

As a "Disneyland", let me just say that I feel no superiority one way or the other between parks. Each have their plusses and minuses.

My concern(?) was wondering if DHS would have enough space between Alcatraz and Muppets to fit in all that we've seen being built at DL so far. By quick comparison shots, the concrete queue extension in DL seems like it will be an ultra tight fit at DHS. THAT is the all I've ever wondered about.

I love both parks the same. (except Epcot slightly more). And I have to agree that DHS is the far better placing for SWL than DL. But we kinda got screwed with options out west.
For me it's really simple.

Disneyland is a better park than Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World is a better resort than Disneyland.

BD-Anaheim

I'll go a step further and say that especially after Star Wars opens Disneyland will be the best theme park of all based on available attractions behind a single gate.

DisneySea is a spectacular experience. And it's not resting on it's laurels either. Thematically it is not fledgling behind either park.

Kman101

DisneySea is a spectacular experience. And it's not resting on it's laurels either. Thematically it is not fledgling behind either park.

He said based on available attractions. Theme wise DisneySea knocks it out of the park. But for a castle park Disneyland is arguably better.

BD-Anaheim

He said based on available attractions. Theme wise DisneySea knocks it out of the park. But for a castle park Disneyland is arguably better.

What's the point then in splitting hairs when the land in question isn't going into two castle parks? (Btw - he didn't mention "castle" parks rather all ;) )

Turtle

I understand why Star Wars Land thematically doesn't fit in Disneyland park, but it's never really bothered me. I've thought of Disneyland as a capsule of the staples of American culture from the Western to man's fascination with space to cartoons, and Star Wars sorta fits as a huge piece of our culture. It's still a stretch, and weird to have "Tomorrowland", "Frontierland", and then an IP-driven land. But then again, Mickey's Toontown is IP as well.

matt9112

I have a distaste for DL and there elite bloggers and pixie dust snorting fanboys.

WDW built the parks and resorts into something grand. Disneyland is like a cockroach on the bottom of Disney world's shoe. sure it's alot nicer now than it ever was but remember Walt left it behind for a reason.]

Sped2424

For me it's really simple.

Disneyland is a better park than Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World is a better resort than Disneyland.
This ^ Agreed 1000 percent esp after having just visited. Disneyland is king esp over the Magic Kingdom when it comes to attractions and charm. But as a resort as a whole? WDW is a city with just that much more to do beyond the parks.

Travel Junkie

I have a distaste for DL and there elite bloggers and pixie dust snorting fanboys.

WDW built the parks and resorts into something grand. Disneyland is like a cockroach on the bottom of Disney world's shoe. sure it's alot nicer now than it ever was but remember Walt left it behind for a reason.]

one of the dumbest most ignorant comments I've read in a long time.

Travel Junkie

it's the internet simmer down :) you will be okay. there was a bit of over thee top toung and cheek in there. but the factual point is valid California fans feel like they have some holy relic of God on that coast.

I'm perfectly fine, but thanks for the concern. And you need to learn the definition of factual. It's funny because if you bothered to to talk to Disneyland fans or hang out in the DL forums, you would find that if anything they are too harsh on the park.

This is a WDW eccentric forum. Most of the praise you read is not from Californian's. It's east coasters.

matt9112

I'm perfectly fine, but thanks for the concern. And you need to learn the definition of factual. It's funny because if you bothered to to talk to Disneyland fans or hang out in the DL forums, you would find that if anything they are too harsh on the park.

This is a WDW eccentric forum. Most of the praise you read is not from Californian's. It's east coasters.

harsh like the same way this site is harsh on WDW people are harsher on things they care about.

Travel Junkie

harsh like the same way this site is harsh on WDW people are harsher on things they care about.

You called them pixie dusters previously, who are defined as people who never criticize. By all means keep contradicting yourself by continuing if you want. Each post gets funnier and more ignorant.

anyway, the discussion about the difference in transitions to GE from other lands between CA and FL is interesting. At DL on one hand it doesn't seem right to go from the frontier to the space frontier, but overall the transition should work better at DL. Also the tops of the mountains in GE should blend in nicely from the ROA. DHS or whatever it will be called soon enough will have more abrupt transitions. There isn't a lot that can be done to go from a Downtown LA street to GE. Toy Story Land may work a little better but the difference in immersion will be very noticeable.

TP2000

@marni1971 rarely do I ask you questions, but particular people on the Disneyland thread are trying to claim that DL has plenty of room for their Star Wars Land, while DHS's is grasping for space. They're using, as evidence, the fact that there's less room to the left of Alcatraz in DHS than there is in DL.
View attachment 225713
View attachment 225715

Could you give the reason for the difference? Or at least say the reason isn't that the land is "grasping for space" in DHS?

That was me who asked that question. A few other West Coasters chimed in, but it was me who started it and just me who asked the question. :D

Not understanding the "grasping for space" theory simply because the Alcatraz queue is close-up to Muppets. This is due to transition layout whereas the DL version is positioned at a different angle with no buildings immediately adjacent.

My question on the difference in acreage and layout between the two properties came from recent aerial photos that have popped up online. Mainly this one from July, 2017 of Disneyland...
20170723_111011-cropped.jpg

And then these from August, 2017 of Hollywood Studios...
DIK8kAQXsAAx3H5.jpg:large

DIK5Hy9XYAA0OtK.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct

But, you know, it stems from bias. People looking for things they want to see. They'll be proven wrong in a year or two.

I don't think we'll need to wait until 2019. When Google Earth updates their satellite image to reveal the Star Wars construction in both parks with at least the two major ride warehouses and the berms laid out, it will be easy to see if the perceived difference in size/scope is real. Or maybe it's just a trick of the camera angle from airplanes at different heights? :confused:

Tell 'em they're wrong.

SWL DHS could have been built bigger from day one within the existing park boundary.

I can't see where they could have pushed the Star Wars Land boundaries out any further at DHS, at least not from those recent aerial photos above. If anything, the Falcon ride building seems to be pushed back further at Disneyland compared to the angle it sits on at DHS. In addition to the much closer transition of Grand Avenue/Muppets and the apparently smaller village area in front of the Falcon building.

Again, this could all be a trick of the camera angles here, but I was the one who started that discussion over on the Disneyland forum after noticing differences in recent aerial photographs. No big conspiracy theory, just an interesting observation I made after we had been told repeatedly that the two lands would be "identical" on each coast. They don't appear identical to me. And as DHS construction progresses, the differences appear to be getting more noticeable. :)

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No big conspiracy theory, just an interesting observation I made after we had been told repeatedly that the two lands would be "identical" on each coast..
Identical aside from minor queue differences, as has been stated by several people. And of course the third entry.

An example; in Anaheim the two main exterior queue sections for Alcatraz are side by side. In Orlando they're one in front of the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom