Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Casper Gutman

If you want to opt out of interactivity.... there is always youtube

I mean, youtube's pretty interactive, too.

Some media lend themselves to constant interaction and some don't. They tried interactive film in the 90s, with audiences choosing outcomes, and it was awful. Film is a storytelling medium, and interactivity interferes with that. I tend to think of good theme park design as sharing a great deal with the philosophy of film-making, with the audience physically moving rather than the camera moving for them. It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of raft rides like Popeye - the designers give up too much control over the riders point of view. I want rides - and movies - to tell me the most amazing story they can in the most amazing way. When I want to play a game, I'll play a game.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mean, youtube's pretty interactive, too.

Some media lend themselves to constant interaction and some don't. They tried interactive film in the 90s, with audiences choosing outcomes, and it was awful. Film is a storytelling medium, and interactivity interferes with that. I tend to think of good theme park design as sharing a great deal with the philosophy of film-making, with the audience physically moving rather than the camera moving for them. It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of raft rides like Popeye - the designers give up too much control over the riders point of view. I want rides - and movies - to tell me the most amazing story they can in the most amazing way. When I want to play a game, I'll play a game.

I see it as the difference of getting on and off attractions. The entire reason we love "lands" is the experience doesn't start /stop as we enter a queue/building. It is something that builds and aims to be a continuity. Just as we have be taught to expect background noise, music, and set pieces as part of what makes those things work... now we will see human interactions be part of that.

I think too many people hang onto what they know... verse embrace what can be. If Disney fails... then they stop and move on. But don't fear the new.

Casper Gutman

I see it as the difference of getting on and off attractions. The entire reason we love "lands" is the experience doesn't start /stop as we enter a queue/building. It is something that builds and aims to be a continuity. Just as we have be taught to expect background noise, music, and set pieces as part of what makes those things work... now we will see human interactions be part of that.

I think too many people hang onto what they know... verse embrace what can be. If Disney fails... then they stop and move on. But don't fear the new.

I'm not sure interactivity is that "new" - M:S, TSMM and other dark ride shooters have been around for a while. I haven't fully worked out why I don't think interactivity will work in rides, but one problem is that, by its very nature, theme park rides must get you from a set point A to a set point B in 6 to 8 minutes or so. That doesn't offer an opportunity for much meaningful game development or variation. Riding again, you once more go from A to B - those locations are physically set and unalterable. Because of the need not to alienate guests, real, meaningful failure is virtually impossible (I don't see Disney announcing to a ride full of players that they died). Because of the range of age and skill levels of guests, any genuine challenge has to be very mild. And so on.

Each media form has things it does well and things it doesn't. I don't feel theme park attractions, as constituted now and in the foreseeable future, offer much opportunity for meaningful and satisfying interactivity.

That's individual rides - theme park LANDS actually hold some promise for intriguing LARPing experiences - look at Ghost Town Alive or Disneyland's own experiments with the form. And we know Disney has been developing a system, likely to be seen in SWL, that will allow guests to roleplay a consistent character. This isn't my cup of tea, but it offers very real possibilities. But in these larger role-playing experiences, I still believe rides will remain fairly standardized "set pieces," with the elements outside the ride experience offering the interactive variations.

Kman101

I can agree but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to opt out of being ridiculed for how you flew the Falcon. I think the immersive interaction is a fantastic idea but it's not for everyone. Don't see why you seem to be taking issue with it.

Movielover

Anyone know what is that big donut thing between Battle and Muppets?

Its forming the base for Iger's money vault. Built specifically for when Star Wars Opens...

tumblr_mslx9kWDn11rkumvuo1_400.gif

;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can agree but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to opt out of being ridiculed for how you flew the Falcon. I think the immersive interaction is a fantastic idea but it's not for everyone. Don't see why you seem to be taking issue with it.

Have you ever ridden Monsters Inc? Has anyone ever NOT found the Roz finish as something interesting/funny adding to the attraction?

It's like going to a movie.. and asking where can I take a nap? Or fearing things before you even know what they are. It's shown up over and over in the StarCruiser thread.. where people keep asking 'how do I remove XYZ'. This is so backwards. Why bother with something if you are just going to look to avoid what it is?

Why not actually experience something before deciding you don't want it? Especially when it's something new.

It's an issue because it hinders the advancement of these concepts... and sends the message to Disney "don't expand" the ideas/offerings because people don't want them.

Kman101

Have you ever ridden Monsters Inc? Has anyone ever NOT found the Roz finish as something interesting/funny adding to the attraction?

It's like going to a movie.. and asking where can I take a nap? Or fearing things before you even know what they are. It's shown up over and over in the StarCruiser thread.. where people keep asking 'how do I remove XYZ'. This is so backwards. Why bother with something if you are just going to look to avoid what it is?

Why not actually experience something before deciding you don't want it? Especially when it's something new.

It's an issue because it hinders the advancement of these concepts... and sends the message to Disney "don't expand" the ideas/offerings because people don't want them.

Personally, I said I'd be open to it. Most will take part. I've given it praise. I don't think it's the issue you do but OK.

Casper Gutman

Art forms - and theme park rides are an art form - have barriers imposed by the nature of the media, the nature of the audience, the mode of the media's production and the conditions of its ownership, etc., etc. I remained unconvinced that meaningful interactivity - something beyond the shooting rides we have now - is possible. As above, I'd give the example of an interactive film as a mismatch between media and mode of audience engagement.

The problem is deeper - logically, it seems likely attempts at interactivity will not only fail but will negatively impact a ride's ability to tell a story. The result would be neither fish nor fowl. I'd point to Mission:Space, which I consider one of the worst rides ever built, as an example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom