Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is there a way to search and filter the thread to just your posts? I will if I can - otherwise sifting through 500+ pages is rather time-consuming.

Top of every thread is a search box. Click it. You can choose a poster's name and click on "search in this thread."

upload_2017-7-1_20-40-19.png

Capsin4

They've made it pretty clear that the ride is set on a First Order star destroyer. The preshow is presumably us on the rebel transport (we're the rebels) that leaves the base planet and is intercepted by the bad guys/caught in the ship's tractor beam. So, battle breaks out on the ship while we're making our escape in the R5 droid-piloted RV (a prisoner transport we've hikacked). We escape....somehow....and land back on terra firma.

Still don't understand how the walkers fit into all this. They could just be scenery, that you make your way past them in the hangar bay before you leave the ship. But they seem more important given that they're there and too huge (occupying the whole height of the building) to be anything but a major set piece.
If this is on a star destroyer, it makes perfect sense for the walkers to be there. "Parked" has been used to describe them and they're transported on star destroyers so maybe we'll see them in their storage bays. I wonder if they're just awesome details to the story or if they play a role...like the mission guests are on is to infiltrate the star destroyer and sabotage the ability to deploy the walkers to the surface.

BrianLo

SWL looks like it's still running well on pace! Currently about 3.5 months behind.

Next check points to keep an eye out for:
1. MF should go vertical the second last week of August.
2. Alcatraz should have the last vertical corner of the main rectangular show-building by the first week of October.

If either of those occur earlier it's a good sign!

roj2323

SWL looks like it's still running well on pace! Currently about 3.5 months behind.

Next check points to keep an eye out for:
1. MF should go vertical the second last week of August.
2. Alcatraz should have the last vertical corner of the main rectangular show-building by the first week of October.

If either of those occur earlier it's a good sign!

Everything you have said sounds right on point to me. Alcatraz in particular seems to be a slightly modified design from the California version so It's likely that it will go together a little quicker than California's version did.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Everything you have said sounds right on point to me. Alcatraz in particular seems to be a slightly modified design from the California version so It's likely that it will go together a little quicker than California's version did.

What differences have you seen from California?

roj2323

What differences have you seen from California?

Much heavier steel. A full basement under the round concrete portion too whereas in the florida version it seems like it will only be a half basement. Speaking of basements, the rectangular portion of the buildings was also constructed differently. In California they used the steel pilings to hold back the dirt while they framed the forms and poured the basement while in the florida version they used the steel pilings as half of the forms and poured the concrete walls against them.
Also the different assembly order will speed things up a bit as California's version waited until a majority of the steel was up before they started laying flooring and roof decking. There's a lot of little differences to be honest but they all add up. The down side is Alcatraz seems to be getting the most attention while the falcon ride construction seems to be somewhat slow by comparison. To be fair however a lot of that has to do with the rain that we have gotten a lot of in the last month after an unusually dry winter and spring which makes it difficult to pour concrete.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Much heavier steel. A full basement under the round concrete portion too whereas in the florida version it seems like it will only be a half basement. Speaking of basements, the rectangular portion of the buildings was also constructed differently. In California they used the steel pilings to hold back the dirt while they framed the forms and poured the basement while in the florida version they used the steel pilings as half of the forms and poured the concrete walls against them.
Also the different assembly order will speed things up a bit as California's version waited until a majority of the steel was up before they started laying flooring and roof decking. There's a lot of little differences to be honest but they all add up. The down side is Alcatraz seems to be getting the most attention while the falcon ride construction seems to be somewhat slow by comparison. To be fair however a lot of that has to do with the rain that we have gotten a lot of in the last month after an unusually dry winter and spring which makes it difficult to pour concrete.

Some one else brought up the steel thing, but comparing the two I don't see it. Also, the circular area doesn't go the full depth of the basement at DL either.

DL:

upload_2017-7-4_19-4-27.png

DHS:

upload_2017-7-4_19-4-56.png

Goofyernmost

Some one else brought up the steel thing, but comparing the two I don't see it. Also, the circular area doesn't go the full depth of the basement at DL either.

DL:

View attachment 213666

DHS:

View attachment 213667
Just thinking out loud here, but, even if it is a heavier gauge steel it might be to conform with California Earthquake Codes. Something not needed in Florida with anywhere near that much priority. The Basement thing might also be that they are going to build up the land around it so that when completed it will be a full basement set up, but, have reached the limit in the depth they can go in the swamp. Back-filling is always done when the wall is complete and it is easier to get access.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just thinking out loud here, but, even if it is a heavier gauge steel it might be to conform with California Earthquake Codes. Something not needed in Florida with anywhere near that much priority. The Basement thing might also be that they are going to build up the land around it so that when completed it will be a full basement set up, but, have reached the limit in the depth they can go in the swamp. Back-filling is always done when the wall is complete and it is easier to get access.

I was expecting DHS's basement to be shallower, but it doesn't appear that it is.

Ralf

I tried searching the forum and threads for the answer as i can't imagine this hasn't been adressed yet, but i'm afraid i missed it.

Can anyone explain the differences in the 'groundwork' (circular shapes and boomerang shapes) for the Falcon attraction in DL and DHS? Is it because of the water level/final elevation of the land and attractions?

In DL: 1 boomerang shape (right behind Battle Escape) and 2 circles)
in DHS: 2 boomerang shapes

I'm confused... ;)

Shot from the Fox broadcast of Disneyland (Freshbaked Disney)
DD4JYM0XsAAMBkX.jpg

One of the latest shots of DHS by @Bioreconstruct (the yellow arrow is not of any importance in this question)
DD4JYH4W0AAIFP2.jpg

UPDATE... from this view you can see the second 'boomerang' in DL... but the question remains... why the differences?
Schermafbeelding 2017-07-06 om 13.09.53.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom