Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kamikaze

I don't know if TDO has any say in the timeline though.

They most certainly can delay things (or get entire third attractions dropped from the initial build). Obviously they don't influence the DLR construction, but they did sit for quite a long time with nothing going on when they could have at the very least done demo on the area.

DrewmanS

Depends on the Kink.

It most likely will not help a huge design flaw flaw but there tons of little issues that can be worked out if the 2 crews are communicating with each other.
Agreed. On a project this size there are likely hundreds of engineering change orders as the project progresses. It could be anything from changes in bolt hole sizes, position of drains, significant structural modifications or even paint colors or lighting placement. Any changes or issue encountered at DL could be incorporated in DHS before pieces are fabricated or installed helping to minimize impact or rework.

Kman101

Sure. Like if the fish look like they are performing unspeakable acts on the water or if Ariel's hair frightens the 3-year olds.

Any word on that supposed updated ending? Mermaid is such a mess. I'd be OK with it if I didn't see the ceiling, and I didn't see black walls at times. Just immerse me! It's NOT hard. I could look past the plastic of it all if some things were fixed. Why not projections on the ceiling to make you actually feel, you know, under the sea. I can't believe they went with what they did.

Princess Leia

There won't be any if I recall what I've read before on the DL version of this thread correctly. Strollers will be left outside the land and might actually be enforced.
Oh that should be very interesting, especially in the summer. I think we can expect to see a lot more Katiebug posts about how someone's trip was ruined because they had to hold tiny fussy Timmy in 97 degree heat while they waited an hour in line in the Florida sun for the Alcatraz queue (apologies to anyone named Timmy). All because some MEAN Cast Member said that she wasn't allowed to take the stroller into Star Wars. Ruined! The whole vacation was ruined!

;)

jmuboy

Almost as interesting as the thoughts about what Star Wars Land will contain and look like - what will the crowds be like? What does an "average trip" become? I've been down to WDW roughly 8 times in the past 5 years and it is interesting where people choose to spend their time. Based on people I know who go, what I read on forums etc, it seems right now, AK and DHS have been sort of the 1 day to half day max per 4-5 days spent in WDW parks for lots of people, myself and my trip group included. However, Pandora / Avatar Land and now Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land will GREATLY shift that dynamic. Think about a potential trip this way come 2020-2021:

Without Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, and Pandora it would go something like this for a 5 day trip:
2 days MK
1.5 days Epcot
1.5 days split between AK and DHS

However, after Pandora, SWL, and Toy Story Land, a 5 day trip becomes much more difficult to plan:

1 day MK(?)
1 day AK
2 days DHS (remember insane crowds, long waits, but hopefully amazing new rides and lands to explore)
1 day Epcot(?)

The issue is, many people (including myself) absolutely love the MK and we typically spend at minimum 2 days there in a 5 day trip, 3 for 7 day trips. This doesn't even factor in the parties during holidays. So someone like myself now needs to plan longer trips to see everything we want to see and do. Not that it's a bad thing, at least not for me, more to do, more time, more fun! (and more money :arghh:)

I will skip DHS and go to DL and the local 6 flags. I have the same experience. DL has the SWL copy and 6 Flags has the WDW service model. ;-)

roj2323

Noticed that another small building has gone vertical next to the old building they left standing ( I think someone said it was a maintenance building ) near World Drive.

The old building is maintenance base which is a call center where all maintenance issues property wide are called in. (it looks a lot like a 911 call center on the inside) The new small squareish building is a Pargo (golf cart) maintenance building. The 3rd long rectangular building they are putting up now is an off stage building of some kind but I don't know the details of that one yet.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The old building is maintenance base which is a call center where all maintenance issues property wide are called in. (it looks a lot like a 911 call center on the inside) The new small squareish building is a Pargo (golf cart) maintenance building. The 3rd long rectangular building they are putting up now is an off stage building of some kind but I don't know the details of that one yet.
The 3rd building looks like cast support or admin. Expect another smaller one south of this. And a small substation east of the pargo unit.

HarrisburgMouse

Micechat is reporting this rumor this morning about SWL at DL...

"Word is leaking out that when Star Wars Land opens Memorial Day Weekend in 2019, Disney may launch the “Summer Of Star Wars” at Disneyland and Disney World. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Star Wars Land will open to guests only with a separate ticket for the “event” priced at $95 per day."

I saw the same---it's at the end in which they state it is an April's Fools Joke. This was their gag, a day early.

Kamikaze

Thanks, I have deleted the post. Sad part is, in light of some of the recent up-charges, I didn't even think for a minute that this might be an Aprils fool joke.

Obviously they are going to do tons of nighttime upcharge events when the lands are ready.
I'd pay the regular upcharge fee to be able to experience the lands with minimal crowds.

Kman101

I wouldn't pay for that kind of access, but I have no doubt Disney is salivating at the opportunities and the millions of guests who would pay that. I wouldn't be opposed as long as it doesn't affect day guests. It should be an after the park closes at 9/10pm event.

I'm just hopeful for a passholder preview like they're doing with Pandora. I don't see how they wouldn't. They know the demand is going to be insane. And considering we're two years out still, that demand is only going to grow as the kids now get a bit older and more kids come into this world. Star Wars has lasted in pop culture for over three decades.

Should we expect worse than Potter?

michmousefan

I wouldn't pay for that kind of access, but I have no doubt Disney is salivating at the opportunities and the millions of guests who would pay that. I wouldn't be opposed as long as it doesn't affect day guests. It should be an after the park closes at 9/10pm event.

I'm just hopeful for a passholder preview like they're doing with Pandora. I don't see how they wouldn't. They know the demand is going to be insane. And considering we're two years out still, that demand is only going to grow as the kids now get a bit older and more kids come into this world. Star Wars has lasted in pop culture for over three decades.

Should we expect worse than Potter?
As long as the quality of the new films — Episode 8, the Han Solo standalone — remain high, I think that the rush might be something that WDW or Orlando has never seen. Perhaps if the DL version opens a few months earlier then it will take a good chunk of the rabid fans out of the mix, but I wouldn't count on that. You think DAK is staying open late for Avatar... I can only imagine how early and late SW Experience will be open (although good chunks of those timeframes may well be just for on-site resort guests).

Kman101

As long as the quality of the new films — Episode 8, the Han Solo standalone — remain high, I think that the rush might be something that WDW or Orlando has never seen. Perhaps if the DL version opens a few months earlier then it will take a good chunk of the rabid fans out of the mix, but I wouldn't count on that. You think DAK is staying open late for Avatar... I can only imagine how early and late SW Experience will be open (although good chunks of those timeframes may well be just for on-site resort guests).

Agreed. I for one can't wait to see what the line will be like for Disneyland. I do think they will do what they can, but they're going to get slammed when it opens first. I know some argue they're more able to handle it but I argue Orlando should have opened first, for various reasons, or they really should open on the same day to spread it out.

Can't wait to see it all unfold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom