Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kamikaze

As long as the quality of the new films — Episode 8, the Han Solo standalone — remain high, I think that the rush might be something that WDW or Orlando has never seen. Perhaps if the DL version opens a few months earlier then it will take a good chunk of the rabid fans out of the mix, but I wouldn't count on that. You think DAK is staying open late for Avatar... I can only imagine how early and late SW Experience will be open (although good chunks of those timeframes may well be just for on-site resort guests).

Episode 9 MIGHT be out by the time the lands open. They are still saying May 2019 for Episode 9. That could well switch to December again, but we shall see.

Agreed. I for one can't wait to see what the line will be like for Disneyland. I do think they will do what they can, but they're going to get slammed when it opens first. I know some argue they're more able to handle it but I argue Orlando should have opened first, for various reasons, or they really should open on the same day to spread it out.

Can't wait to see it all unfold.

DLR is actually in a much better position to handle the crowds, though. They have the entire DL park (plus DCA just steps away) to deal with it. I have zero doubt that DHS hits capacity on many days after the opening on SWL.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Obviously they are going to do tons of nighttime upcharge events when the lands are ready.
I'd pay the regular upcharge fee to be able to experience the lands with minimal crowds.

I'm not willing to bet on that considering what they're doing for Avatar Land:
  • Plenty of preview times for CMs, APs (though, it seems a random subset of them), and DVCers.
  • Two months of daily Evening EMHs for Disney Resort guests (though, you pay a premium for Disney resorts which covers such things)
  • Really long daily hours
So far, there isn't any special upcharge to get into Pandora. Though, I would guess that once the daily EEMHs for Disney guests end, they will probably add in a Extra Evening Hours upcharge for non-Disney resort guests, just like they have for the MK.

I'm sure they'll be looking at how the opening of Pandora, and then later, TSL, goes in order to determine the best way to open the SWLs.

Kamikaze

I'm not willing to bet on that considering what they're doing for Avatar Land:
  • Plenty of preview times for CMs, APs (though, it seems a random subset of them), and DVCers.
  • Two months of daily Evening EMHs for Disney Resort guests (though, you pay a premium for Disney resorts which covers such things)
  • Really long daily hours
So far, there isn't any special upcharge to get into Pandora. Though, I would guess that once the daily EEMHs for Disney guests end, they will probably add in a Extra Evening Hours upcharge for non-Disney resort guests, just like they have for the MK.

I'm sure they'll be looking at how the opening of Pandora, and then later, TSL, goes in order to determine the best way to open the SWLs.

If you (or Disney) think Pandora/Avatar in any way equates to SWL/Star Wars I have a bridge to sell you. There are quite literally millions of people that would visit just for SWL. How many would visit just for Pandora? I'd put that number at 100,000 or less. And I might be way overshooting on that.

I don't think they view TSL as equivalent to anything either. Much smaller scale, etc.

The 'resort guest only' plan might work for SWL too, thats true. Especially if it was TSL & SWL open to resort guests for 2 extra hours. But if they do a MK style event for $150 where most of the attractions are open and limit it to a low guest count - sign me up right now.

Last edited:

No Name

The opening of Pandora will not equate in any way to the opening of Star Wars Land. I don't see how one can be used as a comparison for the other.

Thanks, I have deleted the post. Sad part is, in light of some of the recent up-charges, I didn't even think for a minute that this might be an Aprils fool joke.

I

It's okay, I wouldn't expect an April Fool's joke on March 31st either. :confused:

And the upcharge is something that Disney may very well do. Rumor had it that they were going to do something similar for Rivers of Light (before it got delayed), and RoL doesn't hold a candle to SWL. If this joke become reality, I actually hope it's only $95.

peter11435

The opening of Pandora will not equate in any way to the opening of Star Wars Land. I don't see how one can be used as a comparison for the other.

It's okay, I wouldn't expect an April Fool's joke on March 31st either. :confused:

And the upcharge is something that Disney may very well do. Rumor had it that they were going to do something similar for Rivers of Light (before it got delayed), and RoL doesn't hold a candle to SWL. If this joke become reality, I actually hope it's only $95.

I don't believe the ROL rumor ever had merit.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, March 31. At the west end of Star Wars Land, you could see in the aerial photos a rectangular concrete pad (floor) was poured. Now structural steel has been erected over that floor. Since this is on the edge of the property, it could be a backstage utility building. Photo taken from World Drive.

IMG_9422.JPG

IMG_9422.JPG

Photo update as of Saturday, April 1. Taken from Tatooine Traders, the same steel building is in the background, with the red oval. In the foreground, some pre-cast concrete slabs have been attached to a vertical framework.

IMG_9423.JPG

In the below photo, taken from the Muppets Courtyard, another view of the pre-cast concrete slabs (red oval). Soon, the trees will leaf out and this view will largely be blocked.

IMG_9424.JPG

Last edited:

Kman101

I don't believe the ROL rumor ever had merit.

I guess they could have done a Harambe Nights (I wish they'd bring that back, actually ....) event but I just don't see how they ever could have charged for a nighttime show. I know we get on them about those kind of things but even that would be pushing it.

But aren't they doing away with the hayride at Wilderness and now charging for a meet and greet? Was the hayride a charge (I honestly don't know, never did it). So who knows what they actually think they can get away with.

TP2000

A news helicopter was hovering over Disneyland on Monday afternoon covering a non-story about a guy hurting his knee while working on Guardians of the Galaxy. At the 9:30 mark in this video the news chopper gets direction from the producer in the studio to zoom in on the construction on the north end of the park to look at Star Wars Land, and that's when the real fun begins.

Since the DHS version of Star Wars Land will be identical past the Rivers of America and Disneyland Railroad portion of this landscape, I thought this might be interesting to see what's in store for DHS maybe six months from now. Skip to the 9:30 mark for some great footage and some funny commentary from the chopper pilot speaking with the producer back in the studio.

And yeah, apparently the Millenium Falcon ride will have two separate carousel ride systems, a la' Mission: Space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom