Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Marc Davis Fan

Not that I mind spending Iger's money, but if all they do is add SWL and TSL, while sprucing up other areas of the park, well that is a disappointment. I think that the park will feel weird, especially Animation Courtyard and the Indiana Jones areas. Certain sections of this park will be incredible, with others seeming oddly underwhelming. Kind of how USF feels. Specific areas are great, but other parts of that park are just not that good. The differences in quality from one section of USF to the next is striking at times.

I couldn't agree more. A Disney park should have a holistic impact, and a sense of "place" in every area. No area should pull you out of the experience of being "somewhere else" from your everyday life. With the current plans, Animation Courtyard and the Indiana Jones / Star Tours sections of Echo Lake will still lack a true sense of place. I hope Disney puts up (or puts aside) the budget to finally make those areas into "places."

Slowjack

Not that I mind spending Iger's money, but if all they do is add SWL and TSL, while sprucing up other areas of the park, well that is a disappointment. I think that the park will feel weird, especially Animation Courtyard and the Indiana Jones areas. Certain sections of this park will be incredible, with others seeming oddly underwhelming. Kind of how USF feels. Specific areas are great, but other parts of that park are just not that good. The differences in quality from one section of USF to the next is striking at times.
I have to figure there are loose plans to retheme/rework Star Tours and Indy down the road. The latter is showing its age, and the former would be a relatively easy retheme. With as much work and money as is being poured into Star Wars and Toy Story lands, I can't fault Disney for letting Star Tours and Indy slide for now, but I would be disappointed if these didn't get some serious attention after one or both of the new lands open.

Mike S

I can understand that short and maybe mid term plans have changed for DHS - especially that it now seems as though everyone's sights are set on building out Epcot - but long range there will probably be more changes made. Who knows though? As I have learned following these forums the past 5 years or so, WDW plans are forever in flux. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens with a changing of the guard after Iger departs.
Hopefully DHS sees continued change like USF is. All we need is fix ups for Production Central, Indy, Animation, and both parks will shine more brightly.

DaBears81

Not sure if this was mentioned regarding "The Last Jedi" remember the plural of Jedi is Jedi. It could mean, Luke, Rey, Kyle/Ben, Finn, Leia or Poe.

doctornick

Precisely. It's only a true "waste of space" if the end result isn't quality. It's "inefficient" if there is a lack of quantity. More problematic from a menu perspective for DHS, which barely has anything on the menu to begin with.

Rivers of America is an inefficient use of space, but absolutely vital to the atmosphere of all the castle parks it occupies. In no way is it a "waste of space".

Stacking 4 garbage attractions on a single acre is a waste of space, but efficient.

There probably will be no better case series of inefficiency and quality differentials than Toy Story versus Star Wars.

I don't disagree (though Star Wars could have used at least an additional smaller scale attraction, like the planned Bantha peoplemover) in regards to it depends on what is built. Quality is more important that efficiently using land. But DHS needs both and it's crazy how much space is being devoted to TSL and SW with only 4 new attractions coming out of it -- while losing the Backlot Tour, LMA, HISTK, Jack Sparrow, Osborne Lights, the Premiere Theater, and reportedly One Man's Dream in that space. In a park desperate for attractions, they needed to build an area akin to DL's Fantasyland with multiple densely packed attractions to fill out the park and compliment the large scale Star Wars offerings.

Of course, it would also help if the Mickey Mouse ride were a new build, not replacing GMR.

BrianLo

I don't disagree (though Star Wars could have used at least an additional smaller scale attraction, like the planned Bantha peoplemover) in regards to it depends on what is built. Quality is more important that efficiently using land. But DHS needs both and it's crazy how much space is being devoted to TSL and SW with only 4 new attractions coming out of it -- while losing the Backlot Tour, LMA, HISTK, Jack Sparrow, Osborne Lights, the Premiere Theater, and reportedly One Man's Dream in that space. In a park desperate for attractions, they needed to build an area akin to DL's Fantasyland with multiple densely packed attractions to fill out the park and compliment the large scale Star Wars offerings.

Of course, it would also help if the Mickey Mouse ride were a new build, not replacing GMR.

I agree. The problem comes back to Star Wars being inevitably developed to meet the needs of Disneyland and not DHS. It's a trade off because a solution developed specifically for DHS would have featured more attractions, but only one headliner... inevitably that would have lead to envy over the cut attraction and complaints that DHS got the lesser version.

It's odd that Epcot sounds like it will experience a far bigger net gain that DHS now.

Last edited:

Mike S

I agree. The problem comes back to Star Wars being inevitably developed to meet the needs of Disneyland and not DHS. It's a trade off because a solution developed specifically for DHS would have featured more attractions, but only one headliner... inevitably that would have lead to envy over the cur attraction and complaints that DHS got the lesser version.

It's odd that Epcot sounds like it will experience a far bigger net gain that DHS now.
TSL should've been the thing that met more of DHS's needs.

doctornick

TSL should've been the thing that met more of DHS's needs.

Agreed. A proper Pixar Place with multiple rides (including family friendly dark rides) would have been the more ideal solution than what we are getting.

I understand the desire to go with a more Universal-esque "taking you into the movie" concept which is what they are doing with TSL and Star Wars. And if they had to go with that model, they should have gone with a smaller TSL and 1-2 additional Pixar lands (like the oft mentioned Monstropolis that was on the table before it was cut).

Speaking of which... since it seems to have now been cut and won't happen, doesn't anyone want to spill the beans about what was planned for the "third land" of Monstropolis? @marni1971 @MansionButler84

roj2323

Speaking of which... since it seems to have now been cut and won't happen, doesn't anyone want to spill the beans about what was planned for the "third land" of Monstropolis? @marni1971 @MansionButler84

It wasn't a land. It was a ride using sound stage 2 (now TSMM 2nd track) as an entry point for a rollercoaster ride that would have been built behind the soundstage building. It never got past some drawings and soil sampling however. As I understand it this was being looked at just prior (or just after - not sure which) to the 2007 market crash which is why it ultimately got scrapped.

The Land thing came up in 2014 ish just after Monsters University came out. It was nothing more than a some fan imagineering. ( a good idea I think, but unlikely to ever happen)

doctornick

It wasn't a land. It was a ride using sound stage 2 (now TSMM 2nd track) as an entry point for a rollercoaster ride that would have been built behind the soundstage building. It never got past some drawings and soil sampling however. As I understand it this was being looked at just prior (or just after - not sure which) to the 2007 market crash which is why it ultimately got scrapped.

The Land thing came up in 2014 ish just after Monsters University came out. It was nothing more than a some fan imagineering. ( a good idea I think, but unlikely to ever happen)

While this is true, there was very specific plans for a Monsters Inc land in DHS as "Phase 3" (after Toy Story being Phase 1 and Star Wars Phase 2). The plan was for Star Wars to go in the front of the park (Echo Lake area and into the parking lot) and the corner where LMA/Catastrophe Canyon was -- now going to be home to Star Wars -- was going to feature a Monstropolis land. A couple of insiders clearly indicate that Monsters Inc was the plan or at least the frontrunner for Phase 3, but Phase 3 was taken off the table when Star Wars moved to that location.

Perhaps @marni1971 could correct me if I am wrong.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
While this is true, there was very specific plans for a Monsters Inc land in DHS as "Phase 3" (after Toy Story being Phase 1 and Star Wars Phase 2). The plan was for Star Wars to go in the front of the park (Echo Lake area and into the parking lot) and the corner where LMA/Catastrophe Canyon was -- now going to be home to Star Wars -- was going to feature a Monstropolis land. A couple of insiders clearly indicate that Monsters Inc was the plan or at least the frontrunner for Phase 3, but Phase 3 was taken off the table when Star Wars moved to that location.

Perhaps @marni1971 could correct me if I am wrong.
Pretty much. Pixar "land" would still be "place" at least initially with more IP expansion towards the Cat Can area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom