Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ismael Flores

Moved my last post over to the right thread.... is it too far fetched to hold out hope that an extended exit from star tours would "transport" you to then new star wars land (after the ride is over, you walk through a cue to a back entrance to the land? I'd just hate to see Start Tours leave :(

I would think that it would be quite easy to link the existing Star Tours attraction with the Star Wars addition.

I'm just guessing here, i couldn't find a picture that showed exactly what land might be used for Starwars. Lets say that the red area is the approximate area being used by Star Wars land. The blue is Star Tours building and area also themed to tattooine as well as a green area with Star Wars props. The yellow is Muppet courtyard.

Right now when standing inside muppet courtyard and you look towards one of the exits of the muppet courtyard you clearly see tattooine. the other side, facing green side, is a brick wall with the very tall backsides of the fake facades behind it.

If they want to include Star Tours with the existing Star Wars land and keep an existing popular attraction all they really need to do is remove the facades in the green area and re-theme it with rockwork and or even an extension of tattooine.

The muppet courtyard would remain as a separate mini land. the entrance facing the Star Wars transition area would be themed to Star Wars and the facade facing the courtyard would be themed to the Muppets. WDI has done a great job doing these transitions with large landscaped areas if necessary. similar to the transition from TOT courtyard in DCA to bugsland.

I think something like that might work.

Starwars.jpg

bunnyman

I was at the Studios last week and was amazed at the snails pace it seems to be going in Florida vs. pictures I've seen of the Disneyland Star Wars land construction (i.e. they're already going vertical). I realize that in DL they're under the gun time wise based on the number of attractions they had to temporarily close (i.e. the Rivers of America and Railroad), but when you look through gaps in the construction walls at the Studios there does not seem to be a lot of action. You see more going on from the adjacent roads with the clearing of stunt show and canyon areas, etc., but not much else. DL finished all their demo already and concrete is being poured and steel is going up, but in Florida they haven't even finished up demo.

ginadee

Ive been anxiously awaiting to hear an estimated opening time. Now I am anxiously awaiting for an announcement of when they may be able to announce an estimated opening time. LOL.

BrianLo

Theres a LOT more to Demo compared to DL. In Florida they're having to rip up sidewalks, streets, a 5000 person theatre, multiple warehouse style buildings, etc. DL had to bulldoze a few buildings and a petting zoo.

Ah - nope. The demo for DHS is the far easier job.

Multiple backstage facilities (whose purpose needed to be shifted offsite), a river, the rail and most importantly a large section of the berm had to be torn down with trees transplanted. DHS just needs to flatten everything, DL required a ton of careful removal, repurposing, shifting of facilities and storage of everything from 60 year old ride elements to mature trees. All without the benefit of ample space WDW has. In the midst of the 60th anniversary.

TDO is slothful, nothing more, nothing less.

bunnyman

Still no excuse for the slow pace, even with more to demo in Florida. In my neck of the woods a local school district sold a 1938 era concrete, brick and steel 43,000 sq. ft. elementary school on 5.66 acres to a developer in September 2015. They started to demolish the school in January of this year (including asbestos abatement), and they’re more than half way done putting up 112 townhouse/condo units, a clubhouse, etc., with occupancy on some units shortly. Meanwhile at WDW, they haven’t gotten past the demo phase.

bunnyman

Ah - nope. The demo for DHS is the far easier job.

Multiple backstage facilities (whose purpose needed to be shifted offsite), a river, the rail and most importantly a large section of the berm had to be torn down with trees transplanted. DHS just needs to flatten everything, DL required a ton of careful removal, repurposing, shifting of facilities and storage of everything from 60 year old ride elements to mature trees. All without the benefit of ample space WDW has. In the midst of the 60th anniversary.

TDO is slothful, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, my family was a long-time in the commercial construction business. The DHS buildings were basically structural steel shells with panel facades; very easy to demolish. Even the grandstands for the stunt show should have come down quickly, and some sections were still standing last week when I drove by. It took six months to tear down Yankee Stadium a few years ago; they started on DHS about 4 months ago and they still have a long way to go.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Theres a LOT more to Demo compared to DL. In Florida they're having to rip up sidewalks, streets, a 5000 person theatre, multiple warehouse style buildings, etc. DL had to bulldoze a few buildings and a petting zoo.
In all fairness the TSL plot could have been cleared a lot quicker. Even with rehousing departments that needed it.

This is after all the company who built a city in a swamp in 3 years.

Rodan75

In all fairness the TSL plot could have been cleared a lot quicker. Even with rehousing departments that needed it.

Is the slow-rolling of TSL potentially due to re-thinking the plans? Seems like when they want to start moving, they get moving. The money was allocated last October based on the rumors and there doesn't seem to be any reason (unless Shanghai and Avatar needed the CapEx) for things not to start moving sooner. There has to be more to that story than just 'Disney is slow'.

roj2323

Yep. If they really wanted to they could have severed the utility connections and had the entire area cleared of above ground structures in a week. It would have taken a fleet of trucks, 200 workers and an epic pile of demolition equipment but a 24hr around the clock crew could have done it. That said, I believe what is happening here is the Demo crew is making most of their money off the recycle value of the structures (a very common payment method for big demo) and that requires the careful deconstruction of the buildings so the materials can be sorted before leaving the site. They are also pushing all the concrete into a huge pile on the LMA site which tells me they will be processing it into gravel for fill and likely the sub base for the new parking areas. October / November this year should be about when we start seeing a pickup in the work speed and when we should start seeing the installation of new above ground footings and foundations although that work will take 6 months in all likelihood due to the poor soil conditions of florida and the required deep footing installation requirements.

Siren

OMG. Rogue One looks so amazing -- there's no BB8 but whatever. I can't wait to see this.

I imagine that one of the Star Wars rides will feature some kind of story line from Rogue One. And, I really like that beach scene with the palm trees, so hopefully this part will be featured on one of the rides.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
OMG. Rogue One looks so amazing -- there's no BB8 but whatever. I can't wait to see this.

I imagine that one of the Star Wars rides will feature some kind of story line from Rogue One. And, I really like that beach scene with the palm trees, so hopefully this part will be featured on one of the rides.

While I can't say for certain I think the new rides will focus on the new trilogy. I believe Star Wars Land had been planned for years ago but was held off and redesigned because the company wanted to tie in the new trilogy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom