Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Donaldfan1934

It's a structural issue, particularly the outdoor portion. Think about the energy that is released/created/whatever by a car going that speed when it passes you on a highway, and how you can feel the air that's displaced if you're standing on the side of the road.

Then imagine trying to compress that so that the car can travel inside a small tunnel throughout the whole outdoor run and what issues that could potentially cause, and you've got an idea for why that'd be difficult. Is it possible? I'm sure there's some way to make it happen. Will it? I doubt it. I think if there was a solution that kept the ride entirely indoors, they would've taken that route from the beginning.
Ok, that makes sense now that I think of the science of it. How about instead on tunnels, the show building for the back part of the track wraps around the front of the building? Then that might work.

Jones14

Ok, that makes sense now that I think of the science of it. How about instead on tunnels, the show building for the back part of the track wraps around the front of the building? Then that might work.
I don't want to keep cluttering the thread, so just PM me if you want to continue discussing, but what you've mentioned is technically possible, but armchair imagineering at best. They don't feel a need to change it (and I don't think they should at this point), and it'd require some major structural changes and a whole lot of cash.

Donaldfan1934

I don't want to keep cluttering the thread, so just PM me if you want to continue discussing, but what you've mentioned is technically possible, but armchair imagineering at best. They don't feel a need to change it (and I don't think they should at this point), and it'd require some major structural changes and a whole lot of cash.
I don't feel a need for it to change either. I was just questioning why they didn't do it if having RSR is allegedly such a big issue in Florida. Anyways, enough of this conversation, I'm sick of it as well.

*Q*

It won't be. Think more.... intimate.

We're going to get intimate with Han Solo?? :eek:

It wouldn't.

The way it was explained to me is it would reuse, part use, or use a version of the existing Indy grandstand berm as a natural looking wall. Entry would be around either side of this. The echo lake side foliage would blend into the more manufactured landscaping of SWL.

That makes a lot more sense to me than trying to shoehorn some kind of a berm into the tight space between the hub and Echo Lake/Star Wars Land.

HauntedMansionFLA

We know a number of insiders have said that Star Wars is probably going in Echo Lake, but I thought I would put together a list of what I see as the pros and cons of each location...

LMA:
- Easier to hide from the park entrance
- Attractions are already closed or scheduled to close, does not require even more to close
- Fairly open space to work in

Echo Lake:
- Direct connection to Star Tours
- Allows for back of the park to be used for staging
- Develops the front of the park before the back, making construction easier
- Can easily expand into the parking lot to increase the park footprint
It does make sense to build something toward the front (echo lake) and work your way back. It would be a nightmare if they started at LMA and worked toward the front.

po1998

I apologize in advance as I don't keep up with these threads daily. Has there been any confirmation from WDW that there will only be two new attractions in SWL, or is the project still in flux to the point where a smaller 3rd attraction could be added?

Thx.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I apologize in advance as I don't keep up with these threads daily. Has there been any confirmation from WDW that there will only be two new attractions in SWL, or is the project still in flux to the point where a smaller 3rd attraction could be added?

Thx.

They have only talked about two rides. Of course there could be other things beyond rides that could be classified as attractions.

mm52200

I'm sorry it's so hard to keep up with all of this cause these plans seem so fluid, but where do we think SWL will be located currently?

roj2323

Prevailing rumor is that is will be in the Echo Lake area, but there is a chance that plans have changed and it will be in the LMA area.

Perhaps it will be both in the echo lake area and SOA area. It would make some sense. There's nothing saying Star Tours can't be in the middle of the land.

jt04

Yeah, if Muppets was going I could see that as a possibility, but not with Muppets there.

I am now of the thought SWL is going in the echo lake/Indy/parking lot scenario. Muppets stay and that leaves more room for future Pixar and Star Wars.

Back to THe original scenario with Kermit added. The fans spoke. Similar to FotLK.

This is just my opinion. Never been an insider nor claimed to be.

Happy Easter. :)

roj2323

Yeah, if Muppets was going I could see that as a possibility, but not with Muppets there.
The issue I see is if they were going to go the echo lake / parking lot route why are they ripping out Streets of America and LMA? Toystoryland would fit nicely behind the sound stages with a path back to streets of america where grottos and the Tram turnaround are currently and that footprint fits the acreage they have told us the land will be. This is what I'm trying to make sense of. There's about 20-30 acres of land that's going to be bulldozed (BLT, LMA, HISTK, SOA,Writer's Stop, premiere theater, cars meet & greet and studio catering company) without anything announced that's going on it.

Edit: Thought of something. If they are indeed going the parking lot route perhaps they are going to use the LMA area for cast services and cast parking. It would solve some logistical problems for the park and give cast a separate entrance & exit from the park which has been needed for a long long time. The only way this works however is if they build parking garages for guest parking as they need to increase capacity already without all of these new lands.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The issue I see is if they were going to go the echo lake / parking lot route why are they ripping out Streets of America and LMA? Toystoryland would fit nicely behind the sound stages with a path back to streets of america where grottos and the Tram turnaround are currently and that footprint fits the acreage they have told us the land will be. This is what I'm trying to make sense of. There's about 20-30 acres of land that's going to be bulldozed (BLT, LMA, HISTK, SOA,Writer's Stop, premiere theater, cars meet & greet and studio catering company) without anything announced that's going on it.

Edit: Thought of something. If they are indeed going the parking lot route perhaps they are going to use the LMA area for cast services and cast parking. It would solve some logistical problems for the park and give cast a separate entrance & exit from the park which has been needed for a long long time. The only way this works however is if they build parking garages for guest parking as they need to increase capacity already without all of these new lands.

Most likely theory is that this area is going to be used as a staging area for the construction of TSL and SWL. The new construction access road is going to come in right behind LMA.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Part of me hopes that plans have changed and that SWL is going in the LMA area because the Echo Lake plan would likely lead to a longer construction timeline. The Echo Lake plan has SWL going out into the parking lot. I would assume that they would want to build new parking, whether it be surface lot or garage, before taking away that old parking. The new parking is going to go on the wetlands on the other side of the entrance road which mean that the new retention pond on the other side of world drive would need to be completed before the parking could be built. The new pond is still in the permitting process so we could be a few months from that even starting.

roj2323

Most likely theory is that this area is going to be used as a staging area for the construction of TSL and SWL. The new construction access road is going to come in right behind LMA.

I'm aware of that but that's the short term use. What's the long term use?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom