Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

flyerjab

I just went and listened to the recording and I was incorrect, he said "next month we break ground on our first Star Wars themed lands they will be at Disneyland and at Disney World."

What I wonder about is the ground breaking in DHS. It was stated that ground breaking for SWL will be happening at both parks in April. Does the ground breaking in DHS also include TSL aw well?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What I wonder about is the ground breaking in DHS. It was stated that ground breaking for SWL will be happening at both parks in April. Does the ground breaking in DHS also include TSL aw well?

Also what is meant by "ground breaking". DL has already stared the land prep for SWL, so technically they have broken ground already. He might just be refereeing to a ceremonial ground breaking.

HauntedMansionFLA

image.jpg
yeah, you know a dumpload of dirt placed where they wont get their shoes dirty, so they can learn how to hold a shovel
They kind of did that with AvatarLand a little while back.

HauntedMansionFLA

I will add that I'm very excited that at least they are breaking ground. Hoping we will get a little more information about where in the park it will be built. And will both TSL and SWL be built at the same time?

Brian Swan

The Pizza Planet space is between Muppets and Star Tours, and they clearly don't have plans to remove that in the near future.
We know it's closed for renovations. I don't remember reading anything "official" as to what the retheming will be. We've been assuming Muppets based on it's location and the "assumption" that SWL was going in the Echo Lake/IJSP/parking lot areas. There's nothing to say that it "couldn't" be getting a SW makeover...

Brian Swan

It's worth noting that having Star Tours separate from the rest of the Star Wars land actually solves the issue of it being set in a different time as the setting of the new land. Not sure that matters all that much to WDI, but if they want the new land to be totally "immersive", it could be a factor.
But all it would take would be some new films and a bit of retheming and the ride system could be used for any time/location in the SW Universe...

No Name

It's worth noting that having Star Tours separate from the rest of the Star Wars land actually solves the issue of it being set in a different time as the setting of the new land. Not sure that matters all that much to WDI, but if they want the new land to be totally "immersive", it could be a factor.
I know many disagree but I don't think it should be strictly set in one time period. Sure, it needs to feel cohesive and not a complete jumble, but with 9 movies (and more when they decide three sagas isn't enough), it will be impossible to just keep it to one time period without discluding so much of what makes Star Wars what it is. I'd be fine with the setting being cohesive, but then having different characters from all times and places and sel different things, different food, etc.

I also think having Star Tours outside of Star Wars land would be odd and confusing to the average visitor.

I just went and listened to the recording and I was incorrect, he said "next month we break ground on our first Star Wars themed lands they will be at Disneyland and at Disney World."
Interesting. Disneyland started land clearing in January, but I was under the assumption that Hollywod Studios would just begin land at the start of April (when things are scheduled to close). Sure, catastrophe Canyon is being demolished, but other things need to go as well. Therefore, it would be impossible for WDW start "construction" (whatever that actualy means) at the same time as Disneyland.

Unless a ton of buildings are actually being reused as ignohipo suggested. ***shudders at the thought*** :confused:
Or unless Iger said something incorrectly, which is not rare and hard to believe.

The media is a joke when it comes to reporting to differentiating between the two resorts.
Yes. Just as bad is when they say "Disney is opening a new Avatar theme park at Walt Disney World Resort." Uugh it's not a park, it's a land. Someone said that the confusion stems from Disneyland being a park with the word "land" in it, and so when they see "Avatar Land" they just think it's also a park.

Very bad though. If you're going to write an article, you should have a basic idea of what you're talking about.

doctornick

But all it would take would be some new films and a bit of retheming and the ride system could be used for any time/location in the SW Universe...

Of course they could. I think, however, that they would be very hesitant to erase the presence of very popular aspects of the original trilogy from DHS. I think it is most likely that they leave Star Tours more or less as is and just ignore that the timeframe setting of the ride doesn't quite fit with the rest of the land. They are already playing fast and loose with the timeframe within the ride by adding Finn.

No Name

Isn't that awful? Last and only expansion in 27 years.
I mean you can't be so biased as to disclude my favorite ride in the park, TSMM!

Still though, three parks will go 10 or more years without a significant addition. That has certainly not increased capacity and attendance as much as it could've increased. WDW shouldn't be growing at a slower rate than Universal Orlando, neither resort is mature yet at all.

olie64

I mean you can't be so biased as to disclude my favorite ride in the park, TSMM!

Still though, three parks will go 10 or more years without a significant addition. That has certainly not increased capacity and attendance as much as it could've increased. WDW shouldn't be growing at a slower rate than Universal Orlando, neither resort is mature yet at all.

My two cents, not that its worth it, Im completely new to the whole Orlando theme park area, first trip was 2013. I think Disney was rolling for so long it got complacent, now they are realizing they have to kick up some, reason for the multi-Billion dollar invest. I maybe off but 27 years is crazy but if you are winning then why change? Not defending but that seems to be how large corporations work. Example Apple pre steve jobs return.

No Name

My two cents, not that its worth it, Im completely new to the whole Orlando theme park area, first trip was 2013. I think Disney was rolling for so long it got complacent, now they are realizing they have to kick up some, reason for the multi-Billion dollar invest. I maybe off but 27 years is crazy but if you are winning then why change? Not defending but that seems to be how large corporations work. Example Apple pre steve jobs return.
Yeah. Though 27 years isn't really correct.

Eisner (the former CEO) always jumped on the competition. Universal announced their first park in orlando, and then Eisner had Hollywood studios built and then opened a year before Universal opened their park. Eisner planned 4 E-tickets in 2000 (the year Islands of Adventure opened) to be built in the following two years. But they didn't come to fruition because IoA didn't bring in enough people for Disney to react that way. Lots more examples too.

If Eisner were still in charge of Disney in 2010, we would've seen massive things approved and opening soon after WWoHP. And attendance would've likely surged all around. But unfortunately, today's Disney is more complacent and willing to let the enemy succeed. And since attendance didn't drop, nobody at wall street sees the problem. Nobody sees the missing potential.

Chris82

Nit-picking, but Toy Story Mania is really more of a replacement than an expansion :p

rioriz

Well sure, a replacement for Who Wants to Be A Millionaire. Nit-picking, but technically Sunset Blvd replaced grass and dirt. :D

Though I'm sure you could find some who say Millionaire was better than TSMM.

It is not better however I loved Millionaire....I also appreciated Idol for what it was also. Never understood the hate. Last true DHS attraction that was in line with what the park was to be about

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom