Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

I agree. They should build a proper land set for the OT timeframe as well. I like the firm timeline idea myself but would welcome OT representation in the proper setting.

But my point about Launch Bay is just that the reason for Mando and Baby Yoda not being in the parks has nothing to do with the timeline of Galaxy's Edge.
I doubt they’re building another $1 Billion land.
Changing RotR to Rebellion-era characters would be a waste of resources that wouldn’t improve the successful ride by any means. Also I doubt it’ll happen. Most people who aren't blinded by nostalgia recognize that the sequel trilogy is actually better than the original. Which doesn’t impact the ride either way.

Better effects maybe.

doctornick

Changing RotR to Rebellion-era characters would be a waste of resources that wouldn’t improve the successful ride by any means. Also I doubt it’ll happen. Most people who aren't blinded by nostalgia recognize that the sequel trilogy is actually better than the original. Which doesn’t impact the ride either way.

It would be an utter waste to convert RotR to OT characters. Much better to spend any such money on building a new attraction.

In general, replacement attractions are a stupid use of resources especially for WDW which has an abundance of land and needs more attractions.

Mickeyboof

I was in Hollywood Studios park the night before grand opening.

I said to my friend “I’m just so happy this means that awful stage show that obscures the gorgeous view down Hollywood Boulevard will be gone!”

Wow what a surprise the next day when I roll up and the damn parade float stages are primed and ready to go... especially as countless integrated performance spaces sit bare and empty in the flagship land.

Mike S

It would be an utter waste to convert RotR to OT characters. Much better to spend any such money on building a new attraction.

In general, replacement attractions are a stupid use of resources especially for WDW which has an abundance of land and needs more attractions.
For the same cost as the overlay we wouldn’t get anything nearly as ambitious and I doubt Disney would approve something new that was.

doctornick

I doubt they’re building another $1 Billion land.

Sure. But they don't need to spend $1B. Personally, I'd look at Echo Lake, dedicate Star Tours to OT timeline, change Backlot Express to a SW theme (needs to go anyway if they ever do anything with that area) and replace the I theater with an OT E-ticket. They can even use the Sounds Dangerous theater for a Jedi (Yoda?) show.

erasure fan1

Personally, I'd look at Echo Lake, dedicate Star Tours to OT timeline, change Backlot Express to a SW theme
Sinse we're spit balling, turn echo lake into Dagoba swamp with a crashed xwing and a advanced Yoda AA meet and greet with R2 out in front of Yodas hut!

Oh wait, never mind, OT fans are in the minority now so no one would care about that. I totally forgot.

Tom Morrow

Pretty much everything that doesn’t take place in the Disney Trilogy not being able to ever be included. What if people love something new that comes out like maybe whatever movie Kevin Feige is working on? Can’t do it. Oh well. Not to mention the currently popular Mandalorian.

Some people here go a bit overboard but this is something I agree on. The land should not have been locked to a specific Trilogy. Characters from all over should’ve been walking around the land but obviously no mixing of having different eras out at the exact same time. Different times of day you could see either Vader walking around or Kylo Ren. Pretty simple stuff. First Order flags could easily just flip around to the Empire or something or disappear completely when it’s the Prequel era going around. It’s no secret I’m very in favor of @marni1971 ’s rumor of an OT overlay of RotR but I wouldn’t change the Falcon’s story except for adding more missions maybe involving more characters from the sequel era and doing something a bit more exciting. A third attraction, should it be built, should be based on the Prequels.

Disney is not going to commit to another $1 Billion land for multiple parks so imo if these changes ever come I’d applaud them.
Though it doesn't bother me, I recognize this as a valid complaint and kind of agree that the land should be less specific to the timeline. I think in time, as this trilogy fades from memory, we will likely see this happen, albeit gradually.

I was responding to his complaints though about "why isn't Kylo's mask cracked?" and other stuff that is revealed in episode 9.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Some people seem to forget that Star Wars isn't science fiction, it's a space opera. Therefore, the time and space theories that we know and understand, don't apply. For example, lightsabers are impossible, according to science.

I visited GE with that in mind, and got to enjoy my time in there, without going crazy trying to tie timelines. Just my 2 cents.

RSoxNo1

Sinse we're spit balling, turn echo lake into Dagoba swamp with a crashed xwing and a advanced Yoda AA meet and greet with R2 out in front of Yodas hut!

Oh wait, never mind, OT fans are in the minority now so no one would care about that. I totally forgot.
How about this...

m-1337879038-SWW-XWing-Ad.jpg

RobWDW1971

I gotta say I miss Star Wars Weekends. Yes it got silly but it was also fun. It’s not like it was treated as canon anyway, just a fun celebration.
And that's what is so sad - Star Wars Land should have been a larger, over the top celebration of the Star Wars universe like the weekends, but fully realized with attractions, restaurants, shops, etc.. How they could go from the fun of those weekends to the boring, abandoned, dead space of SWGE is truly beyond me.

(Oh, and glad Luke parked in the lake as he's not allowed to land his X-Wing in Batuu - because, um, reasons.)

No Name

The question I still haven’t gotten a good answer to is why “reimagine” Rise of the Resistance instead of Smuggler’s Run to OT? SR is the ride that hasn’t exactly struck a chord in the way the imagineers expected, whereas RotR has been successful. Spend money where there’s more room for improvement.

rowrbazzle

Though it doesn't bother me, I recognize this as a valid complaint and kind of agree that the land should be less specific to the timeline. I think in time, as this trilogy fades from memory, we will likely see this happen, albeit gradually.

I was responding to his complaints though about "why isn't Kylo's mask cracked?" and other stuff that is revealed in episode 9.

I don't think the timeline would matter if they'd delivered on all the elements they promised.

The new timeline can help grow interest. Anecdotally, two of my kids became very interested in Rey and Kylo after visiting the land. They knew of Vader, Luke, etc. already, but they talk about the new characters regularly since we returned.

Mike S

The question I still haven’t gotten a good answer to is why “reimagine” Rise of the Resistance instead of Smuggler’s Run to OT? SR is the ride that hasn’t exactly struck a chord in the way the imagineers expected, whereas RotR has been successful. Spend money where there’s more room for improvement.
Ask Disney. The rumor is that’s it’s an idea from them.

Imo I’m happy if that’s the plan. The best deserves the best.

rsm

I've been wrong before, but I just can't imagine them closing down a massively popular new attraction for a lengthy expensive overhaul which would "admit" they "got it wrong the first time".

Agree about MFSR. Not massively popular. Can be "rethemed" over email, just like Star Tours. Minimal down time. And once its done it can be randomized and spun that they plussed the ride by adding some OT content as opposed to "fixed" it.

No Name

The idea that more popular characters deserve more popular attractions goes against the very idea of themed entertainment as it’s own product of storytelling. You view this very much the same way as corporate Disney, which has made a number of decisions based on questionable thinking over the last few years. If I “ask Disney” I’ll get the same non-answer. Maybe they’ll tell me to ask @Mike S !

DonaldDoleWhip

Rise of the Resistance is the best part of Galaxy's Edge, and I don't feel it would be a better attraction if set in the age of the OT. Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo have a spark and dynamism that suits the attraction's pace; you don't need to be invested in their characters or trilogy at all (I know I'm not). Besides, the real stars of the attraction are General Beck (love him), R5, and the cast members.

The attraction works (when it’s working), and it’s one part of Batuu that unquestionably does. Here’s hoping some of the smaller kinks in the land get addressed, and that Smuggler’s Run gets a new mission or two.

Mike S

Rise of the Resistance is the best part of Galaxy's Edge, and I don't feel it would be a better attraction if set in the age of the OT. Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo have a spark and dynamism that suits the attraction's pace; you don't need to be invested in their characters or trilogy at all (I know I'm not). Besides, the real stars of the attraction are General Beck (love him), R5, and the cast members.

The attraction works (when it’s working), and it’s one part of Batuu that unquestionably does. Here’s hoping some of the smaller kinks in the land get addressed, and that Smuggler’s Run gets a new mission or two.
Lieutenant* Beck.

Some fan you are 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom