• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

Advertisement
um no. disney chose to set the land in their sequel trilogy era by choice. how dare you blame Mr. Ford.
I wasn’t talking about choice of timeline, I was talking about having Han in the ride. He was still alive during a point in the sequels. You really think Disney would’ve said no if he actually wanted to be part of anything to do with Star Wars?

Marc Davis Fan

I’ve had the opportunity to spend a good deal of time in GE recently, and have come to the following conclusions:

(1) The quality of the land’s design is among the very best at any theme park, anywhere. (I was lucky enough to visit DisneySea a few years ago, and this is right up there with those lands). They’ve taken everything they’ve learned/improved over the years and put it together - architecture, theatrical aging of exteriors, interior design, landscaping, rockwork...

(2) The emotional appeal of the land differs from most Disney environments. Generally, Disney considers emotional comfort/reassurance prominently in land design. This results in “human-scale” doors and windows, etc. They didn’t do so here, instead going in the opposite direction by making things oversized and foreboding, so it doesn’t have the ethereal sense of “Disney” that we have come to expect. I think this is the main reason it doesn’t “feel” right. Nonetheless, the quality is so incredible that it’s difficult to fault them for trying this new direction.

(3) THE attraction isn’t open. RotR was meant to be THE REASON to visit the land. Everything else was basically a supporting role. As has been said before, this is somewhat like opening Pandora without FoP, Cars Land without RSR, or Hogsmeade without FJ. We’re past the bygone era of theme parks being such a new concept that lands without their anchor attractions would be well-received on their own (e.g., NOS). This is undoubtedly the main issue with the land, and honestly the significance of opening the land without the main reason to visit the land cannot be overstated. They absolutely should have called the opening a “sneak preview.”

(4) The drones would have been amazing, and added the kinetic energy that’s currently lacking. It would have felt like a real spaceport, and the experience of standing in it all would have been truly unique in the theme park world. Let’s hope Disney adds this in before somebody else does it first. Hopefully the insiders can keep us posted on whether this is part of what they’re considering to add back in...

pdude81

Of course you can. And anyone who is not being a Disney apologist should be able to see that too. It really isn't as hard as some seem to want to make it out to be.
There is one major problem with Tatooine and that is it rains a LOT in Florida. If they weren't so stuck on making them nearly identical and you could have worked in Tatooine out west and the Forest Moon of Endor in Florida. Or if they absolutely had to put them in the newest Trilogy then Jaaku and Ahch-To but then the rides AND locations might have to be different. The horror!

Piebald

I’ve had the opportunity to spend a good deal of time in GE recently, and have come to the following conclusions:

(4) The drones would have been amazing, and added the kinetic energy that’s currently lacking. It would have felt like a real spaceport, and the experience of standing in it all would have been truly unique in the theme park world. Let’s hope Disney adds this in before somebody else does it first. Hopefully the insiders can keep us posted on whether this is part of what they’re considering to add back in...

In regards to this I dont like the idea of settling, however, I can buy the argument that this was a very bold idea even for Disney but the fact that the average guest at WDW is just short of neanderthal prevents them from really executing it.

However, the fact they cant just add jawas or some other aliens in lieu of droids is mind boggling and just shows them being cheap and careless.

While the characters currently available are cool, I think they need more than just 4 stormtroopers roaming around.

erasure fan1

There is one major problem with Tatooine and that is it rains a LOT in Florida. If they weren't so stuck on making them nearly identical and you could have worked in Tatooine out west and the Forest Moon of Endor in Florida. Or if they absolutely had to put them in the newest Trilogy then Jaaku and Ahch-To but then the rides AND locations might have to be different. The horror!
I get the rain aspect, but at some point common sense needs to take over. No one actually believes they went to space and aren't in Florida. I get the immersion aspect, but when push comes to shove, we are still in a theme park. The forest moon would have been good too. Bright tree village could have been part as well as a new first order base and resistance outpost.

pdude81

I get the rain aspect, but at some point common sense needs to take over. No one actually believes they went to space and aren't in Florida. I get the immersion aspect, but when push comes to shove, we are still in a theme park. The forest moon would have been good too. Bright tree village could have been part as well as a new first order base and resistance outpost.
I agree that the consumer can get past the fake immersion and just enjoy the land. But with the money they spent on these things, couldn't we get a different location on each coast with similar attractions instead of near clones? I'd fly out to California just to buy junk from Watto if that's the only place it could be done. But now that I've been to SWGE at DHS I'll avoid it in California to go on things that are different or special.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I wasn’t talking about choice of timeline, I was talking about having Han in the ride. He was still alive during a point in the sequels. You really think Disney would’ve said no if he actually wanted to be part of anything to do with Star Wars?
The land is set between the Force Awakens and The Last Jedi when Han was dead. this was disney decision and had nothing to do with Harrison Ford. so i dont get where you are getting this theory of yours from.

Mike S

The land is set between the Force Awakens and The Last Jedi when Han was dead. this was disney decision and had nothing to do with Harrison Ford. so i dont get where you are getting this theory of yours from.
They could’ve easily set it whenever that wanted in the sequels. They could’ve set it before he died if they wanted. That’s all I’m saying. If Harrison said “yeah, I want to do this” I’m sure disney would’ve happily obliged.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

They could’ve easily set it whenever that wanted in the sequels. They could’ve set it before he died if they wanted. That’s all I’m saying. If Harrison said “yeah, I want to do this” I’m sure disney would’ve happily obliged.
and you are wrong for having that line of thought. that was never on the table. they made a choice to set it after the last jedi. if Harrison Ford had asked them to do what you said he would do, the answer would be a resounding "NO". Your logic is extremly flawed especially when you spout it as being a FACT of what they would have done.

RSoxNo1

Or that. Like Harry Potter.
Hogsmeade originally was set on or around the day of the Tri Wizard Tournament. Similarly Cars Land was technically set between the two movies (biggest tell here is the addition to Flo's). I'm all for thematic integrity, but I think in a Universe as expansive as this you need to be flexible with the timeline.

Sure, don't have Kylo and Vader out at the same time, but you've got elevated areas throughout the land where characters around the Star Wars Universe can appear.

Top Bottom