Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

LukeS7

I don't know if this is a good place to post this, but I figured it'd be seen more in this thread:

If anyone is looking for a Savi's reservation or Droid Depot reservation for opening day, I'm going to drop a two-person evening reservation for each in about 30 minutes (10:30am EST). Managed to snag times that work better for us yesterday and figured it could help someone here out potentially.

EDIT: they're up for grabs now

EDIT 2: Aaaaanndddd they're gone

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

My AP preview was Saturday 11-3. They let us in at 1030 and I stayed until 4:30. I only left because it was so darn hot and I wanted to relax before AK after hours. So a planet and a moon in one day.

After watching the DL boards I expected a boring dead disaster. I was blown away and now thinking about a January trip so I can see RotR. Falcon crews 3 & 4 each had a 5-year old pilot in the right seat. The first little girl crashed into everything and the second was not bad. Even crashing was fun because of the ship's reaction. Then crew 5 had two serious looking pilots and they nailed it. Got me my high score for the day. I didn't get to pilot but I did like gunner because I could see what was going on. Engineer was fun because of the variety of buttons but it was hard to see. Yeah, pushing buttons was actually fun. One minor thing for me, the single rider line has a lot of stairs and standing still on steps is not comfortable.

Also spent some time 'hacking' and was expecting a trooper to show up but didn't happen. Seemed like CMs were guarding some of the panels and I was trying to be discreet. Did the Falcon, some doors, and a bunch of droids that all react.

Chewy and Rey were out, saw three different squads of troopers, Kylo, and a first order officer. Vi strolled by and two troopers chased her. And the CMs were great. Very organized and efficient. Didn't think they were phony or over the top and most of them were having fun with it. The other guests made it fun as well. All day was "What did you think?" I'm not that outgoing but everyone wanted to talk about the experience and so did I.

The cantina was amazing but not something I need to see again unless I go back with friends or family. You can observe the Droid Depot without having to buy anything. Didn't want to wait for Dok's. Ronto Wrap was tasty.

I'm ready to go back.

It's amazing how much the boards/twitter can be a vacuum, making you think everything sucks... Then you go and realize everyone is loving it and it's pretty darn amazing. Sure, some issues... but it's new, and they will get fixed.

Mickeyboof

It's amazing how much the boards/twitter can be a vacuum, making you think everything sucks... Then you go and realize everyone is loving it and it's pretty darn amazing. Sure, some issues... but it's new, and they will get fixed.

Everyone is loving it?

And... It will? They’re gonna fix it?

Or are they gonna just fix it for the pay to play hotel?

Magic Feather

Something fun that I just learned: the lighting on the spires is not simply an "on" switch, but instead a series of lighting packages that ease into the "moonlight" blue lights. Amongst the best example I have seen (unfortunately the picture is from the construction period, preventing me from sharing it) was the stretch of rockwork between RotR and the Marketplace being illuminated by a bright yellow/orange hue, which later shifts to the standard blue.

Rteetz

Something fun that I just learned: the lighting on the spires is not simply an "on" switch, but instead a series of lighting packages that ease into the "moonlight" blue lights. Amongst the best example I have seen (unfortunately the picture is from the construction period, preventing me from sharing it) was the stretch of rockwork between RotR and the Marketplace being illuminated by a bright yellow/orange hue, which later shifts to the standard blue.
Keying off of that there are almost 3000 different sounds throughout the land and that changes over the course of the day too like Pandora.

TrojanUSC

But but I thought there wasn't any sound in the land, and even the sounds made by the handful of guests who got tricked into showing up were magically absorbed by the design of the land....:cool:

Nobody said there wasn't sound. The complaint has been that upon entering the land you expect to hear soaring John Williams music but instead its eerily silent with some distant sound effects. It just gives it all a somewhat desolate feeling, as opposed to grand.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Nobody said there wasn't sound. The complaint has been that upon entering the land you expect to hear soaring John Williams music but instead its eerily silent with some distant sound effects. It just gives it all a somewhat desolate feeling, as opposed to grand.

That’s strange because the first thing you hear when you enter the land is the transition music. Really quite beautiful. Hearing the main John Williams theme would’ve been cheesy. Save it for the big moments in the ride.

TrojanUSC

That’s strange because the first thing you hear when you enter the land is the transition music. Really quite beautiful. Hearing the main John Williams theme would’ve been cheesy. Save it for the big moments in the ride.

It's some fine music in the tunnel but the land itself just feels kind of underwhelming in terms of liveliness. It's made worse by all the empty platforms and scaffolding that was clearly meant for production shows that got cut from the budget. Beyond that, the level of detail is very impressive and ROTR is going to be great.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The sound package is really good. Standing next to some alien tech, you hear it start up like an outdoor A/C compressor but with more alien scifi sounds. People look up when there is a stereo illusion of a space ship taking off. Lots of animal noises in the bushes.

Soaring symphonic music would have drowned it out.

Though, there could be a few places for the soundtrack, such as in a shop. Shops love to play background music...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The sound package is really good. Standing next to some alien tech, you hear it start up like an outdoor A/C compressor but with more alien scifi sounds. People look up when there is a stereo illusion of a space ship taking off. Lots of animal noises in the bushes.

Soaring symphonic music would have drowned it out.

Though, there could be a few places for the soundtrack, such as in a shop. Shops love to play background music...

There is a middle ground between "soaring symphonic music" and no music at all. They could balance some background music with the sound effects.,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom