News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Steph15251

It’s not part of the Disney “brand” for average guests who associate Disney with animation, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel.

Muppets and Indiana Jones, less obvious parts of the Disney empire, are low too.

I don’t know how to account for Aerosmith! People like upside down coasters? Personally, I’d have it at the bottom of the list.
I am an average guest and I could careless about Star Wars and marvel ,but I do not do attractions because of what ,there IP is.

erasure fan1

@mikejs78 says that their isn't franchise fatigue, but just from a personal standpoint, it is a major factor for me. I have seen every SW movie in the theater up too and including Rogue One. I just couldn't bring myself to care at all about seeing TLJ or Solo. I have completely lost interest. To be honest, I really only liked Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. I kinda liked Return of the Jedi. I found the PT mildly interesting, but no where close to liking them. TFA was shallow and formulaic. And Rogue One finally beat that horse to death for me. I couldn't even sit through TLJ on Netflix
Is it fatigue, or you just don't care that much about star wars? I don't see all that much fatigue really. The fatigue that I mostly see has to do with Disney, and their handling of the brand. You said yourself you haven't liked anything Disney has done with it.

Rogue1138

Is it fatigue, or you just don't care that much about star wars? I don't see all that much fatigue really. The fatigue that I mostly see has to do with Disney, and their handling of the brand. You said yourself you haven't liked anything Disney has done with it.

There's no such thing as franchise fatigue. If there was, Marvel would've been seeing diminishing returns for year since they release 2-3 very formulaic movies a year. The problem Star Wars has is Disney assumed that the name alone is enough to carry the brand and have been very lazy with marketing and building excitement. There hasn't been a public roadmap for the franchise in year, outside of the vague "stuff is coming" we got for three years out. Solo was a monster of their own making. 90 day marketing blitz, no trailer in front of The Last Jedi, pushing the date to compete with Infinity War instead of Dec where they've had success and letting the clickbait media run with the sky is falling articles for cash that Star Wars hates fans/is SJW nonsense/etc. The retail releases for Star Wars have been terrible. One big release a year that gets picked over by scalpers quickly and the rest sits empty until the next release.

Even the stuff like Kenobi feels less "look at all the awesome new Star Wars" than "please sign up for Disney+ and we will throw anything to get you to buy in". I have a personal feeling that the MCU will be taking a hit since they're throwing all the established characters to D+ and have some very lackluster films slated for theaters.

SW:GE has that problem too. They went for full immersion and cut the budget to a little immersion with very little "live the saga" type marketing.

n2hifi

Yup while I no longer go on tower or terror for a few reasons ,it imo is one of the best attractions at Hollywood studios.imo

That's the funny thing about TOT. I agree it is one of the best rides in the park, but I can no longer ride it. No one in my family will ride it either (mostly since I don't) and they consistently give it low numbers in Touring Plan reviews because of the 'stomach' factor.

Steph15251

That's the funny thing about TOT. I agree it is one of the best rides in the park, but I can no longer ride it. No one in my family will ride it either (mostly since I don't) and they consistently give it low numbers in Touring Plan reviews because of the 'stomach' factor.
The stomach factor is not why I do not ride it anymore

Awakening

Diagon Alley is the same situation and only has one attraction when SWGE will soon have two. But nobody minds when it's Potter because they weren't positioning themselves to hate it beforehand like with Star Wars.

Or it's because the one ride is supported with an immersive land you can walk around and enjoy without having to spend hundreds of dollars in upcharge experiences to feel like you truly got your value out of it.

A small group people were poised to dislike Star Wars land, sure. But people wouldn't be disappointed if they hadn't been "positioned" to enjoy it in the first place.

CinematicFusion

Diagon Alley is the same situation and only has one attraction when SWGE will soon have two. But nobody minds when it's Potter because they weren't positioning themselves to hate it beforehand like with Star Wars.
Not sure I follow?
Last time I went to Potter world, they had a dueling dragon ride, a ride in the castle, a train ride and another ride in a bank.
Cool place to walk and explore with solid rides.

People come for the rides... ROTR isn’t open yet and that’s what is causing the problems.
The ride that opened at Star Wars land isn’t as good as the two main rides in toy story land.... that’s another problem.

UNCgolf

Not sure I follow?
Last time I went to Potter world, they had a dueling dragon ride, a ride in the castle, a train ride and another ride in a bank.

People come for the rides... ROTR isn’t open yet and that’s what is causing the problems.
The ride that opened at Star Wars land isn’t as good as the two main rides in toy story land.... that’s another problem.

Those are in two different lands, though. Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are in separate parks. Diagon Alley only has the Gringotts ride -- the Hogwarts Express is actually outside Diagon Alley itself, and you can only ride it if you have a park hopper ticket.

With that said, I don't think comparing Diagon Alley to Batuu is a great comparison. Diagon Alley is an iconic location for HP fans; Batuu itself doesn't really mean anything to any Star Wars fans. That was a problem they'd have in general, though, because Tatooine is really the only iconic location that would lend itself to a theme park land (it wouldn't make sense for places like Endor and Hoth to have restaurants and shops, and Bespin is all indoors). The prequels have at least two planets that would make for a great theme park land (Coruscant and Naboo) but I'm sure Disney did not want to center their new Star Wars land on an area from the prequels.

It's a little unfortunate, though, because those two planets are tremendously suitable for building an elaborately themed, immersive land. Naboo would have been gorgeous and Coruscant impressive.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yes, but as it has been said before, that is a little too much like pay to play.

All of the experiences at the hotel are locked behind a $1000 per person pay wall and were originally promised as core experiences of the new land. As budget cuts took hold, those experiences were shifted to the hotel. I do understand that they need to make special experiences to make the hotel work, but it should not be at the expense of the overall experience of SWGE.
6a00d8341d20cd53ef0223c84b21db200c-800wi.jpg

Tom Morrow

Or it's because the one ride is supported with an immersive land you can walk around and enjoy without having to spend hundreds of dollars in upcharge experiences to feel like you truly got your value out of it.

A small group people were poised to dislike Star Wars land, sure. But people wouldn't be disappointed if they hadn't been "positioned" to enjoy it in the first place.
I walked around SWGE and felt it was immersive and I didn't spend a dime. What is it about Diagon Alley that makes it so much better other than the fact that the shops are famous from the books and films?

Not sure I follow?

It isn't fair to count both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley as one land because they require a two park pass or two one-day tickets to enjoy both. I'm under the impression that Galaxy's Edge is most closely being compared to Diagon Alley for 1. having one ride (but soon two, unlike Diagon), and 2. having the rest of the experiences more or less involve spending money. In terms of quality of rides alone, currently Hogsmeade blows the other two away, of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom