News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

That would have been really cool to have two separate rooms for gunners. It's still an amazing ride but would have cost a lot more for gunner stations.

You re a video game guy. Can you explain to me why they Keep bragging about the Falcon playing out in real time? Don’t all video games do this? When I was playing Super Mario 64 in 1996 he moved where I wanted him to in a 3D world and different things happened depending on where I went/ did and what buttons I pushed. I get that this is way more advanced but what am I missing? Is it just the this is happening in conjunction with the simulator moving?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

They could've built the real gunner chairs like they have in the films... and had the gunners go to a separate room. But really, your post highlights more reasons why I think this was a poorly conceived ride idea from the start.
The funny thing is...THEY BUILT THE GUNNER ROOM ITSELF WITH THE LADDER!!! IT IS THERE BEHIND YOU BEFORE YOU BOARD THE COCKPITT!!! Why build it if you are not gonna use it?! They have like a grate blocking the entrance so you cant go on the ladder but they still built it. Like a slap in the face to those stuck in the gunner role

socalifornian

You re a video game guy. Can you explain to me why they Keep bragging about the Falcon playing out in real time? Don’t all video games do this? When I was playing Super Mario 64 in 1996 he moved where I wanted him to in a 3D world and different things happened depending on where I went/ did and what buttons I pushed. I get that this is way more advanced but what am I missing? Is it just the this is happening in conjunction with the simulator moving?
To me it just sounds like they’re trying to say that you’re not sitting in front of a static video like Star Tours, but an actual game that reacts to what you do like what you’re saying with Super Mario..and every other video game in existence. ie. nothing special haha

Source: I’ve had almost every console since N64 😆

Edit: on a side note, Super Mario Odyssey on Switch feels like the closest thing since Super Mario 64 👌🏼 There’s even a surprise throwback at the end if you’re feeling nostalgic

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With Mario its a pre-rendered world that has a specific defined set of physics and game movement. For example a turtle or mushroom will only walk a certain distance and then walk back.

With Falcon the world is rendered in real time, its reacting to what the guests are doing and changing the world as the ride goes on. Modern video games are doing similar things, but this is suppose to be more advanced. We'll see as time goes on if the system adjusts more and if they introduce the additional missions.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I’m thankful there aren’t separate rooms for the gunners. Considering all the griping about the ramp - could you imagine the complaints about gunner positions that don’t re-orient gravity?!
I for one would not gripe about that. In fact I would praise that and thank them for having the cahones to actually allow you to sit in the gunner seats because it would be film accurate. It would be cool if 4 members of your party go to the cockpitt while the 2 gunners head to the gunner seats in the other room and you all share the same ride except they control the simulator flight movements from the cockpitt and you control the guns from another room and have the headsets to communicate with the cockpitt. That would be sooo much bettet and entertaining than having to push a button on the side that forces you to take your eyes off the screen ahead and makes you turn your body in am uncomfortable way. With the gunner seats the screen is always in front of you amd you can sway the seat. That would be better than what is currently on the ride now. And I would applaud it

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

There's no need to indulge someone's unrealistic expectation of hyper-verisimilitude.

None of the 'mountain rides' are real mountains.
But none of the mountain rides are trying to make you think you are on real life mountains where Smuggler's Run wants to make you BELIEVE you are on the one and only Mellenium Flacon

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But none of the mountain rides are trying to make you think you are on real life mountains where Smuggler's Run wants to make you BELIEVE you are on the one and only Mellenium Flacon
Sure they are. Big Thunder is trying to make you believe you’re in a runaway mine car. Matterhorn is trying to make you believe you’re sliding down the Swiss Alps in a bobsled. Splash Mountain is trying to make you believe you’re going through the backwoods of the Deep South. Space Mountain is trying to make you believe you’re in a ship in space.

They all have different levels of immersion, but immersion nonetheless. It’s what separates a theme park from an amusement park. How well you accept and play into that immersion is up to you. You’re still in the real world with real world physics and surroundings. So at some point you just have to accept certain things from the movies are either not logistically possible or not physically possible due to constraints of the real world.

Stripes

Premium Member
GC0bzQd.jpg

From Reddit
Would you just look at that?! At present, this is the most innovative ride in the world. Now, we wait for ROTR.

Sharon&Susan

With Mario its a pre-rendered world that has a specific defined set of physics and game movement. For example a turtle or mushroom will only walk a certain distance and then walk back.

With Falcon the world is rendered in real time, its reacting to what the guests are doing and changing the world as the ride goes on. Modern video games are doing similar things, but this is suppose to be more advanced. We'll see as time goes on if the system adjusts more and if they introduce the additional missions.
All the Mario games are rendered in real time, otherwise the physics and the game engine would not be able to react to your button presses in real time that the console itself processes.

Jubs

To me it just sounds like they’re trying to say that you’re not sitting in front of a static video like Star Tours, but an actual game that reacts to what you do like what you’re saying with Super Mario..and every other video game in existence. ie. nothing special haha

Source: I’ve had almost every console since N64 😆

Edit: on a side note, Super Mario Odyssey on Switch feels like the closest thing since Super Mario 64 👌🏼 There’s even a surprise throwback at the end if you’re feeling nostalgic

To add to this, what they're 'bragging' about is basically that they have the technology now to create in real-time a game that looks as good or almost as good as Star Tours does as a pre-rendered film. If they tried to build an attraction like this ten years ago, it would have looked blatantly low-quality compared to Star Tours, due to being in real-time instead of pre-rendered.

The technology in this case is an array of eight of the highest end graphic cards available used together. (well, they were the highest end in 2016 when they were developing this, not anymore, impressive nonetheless) No gaming console on the market right now has the power of even one of these graphics cards, let alone eight of then, so this really can't be compared to console games at all.

I haven't been on the ride though, so I don't know if they actually achieved a level of quality comparable to Star Tours. What's the consensus from anyone who's actually been on it?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
All the Mario games are rendered in real time, otherwise the physics and the game engine would not be able to react to your button presses in real time that the console itself processes.
I guess I'm looking at from the perspective of the original Mario games. I can see your point with the N64 and beyond versions. But with the earlier versions the consoles didn't have enough power or the graphics capability to render real time, especially in the way Falcon does.

Sharon&Susan

I guess I'm looking at from the perspective of the original Mario games. I can see your point with the N64 and beyond versions. But with the earlier versions the consoles didn't have enough power or the graphics capability to render real time, especially in the way Falcon does.
NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. all rendered all their games in real time. If all the prerendered glitches would be impossible and tricks like making the background black to hide the fact that the big bosses characters were part of the background layer (due to the size limitations of sprites) in games like Blaster Master or faking reflections would be unneeded.

This video explains fairly well how the NES (and C64) rendered its graphics:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. all rendered all their games in real time. If all the prerendered glitches would be impossible and tricks like making the background black to hide the fact that the big bosses characters were part of the background layer (due to the size limitations of sprites) in games like Blaster Master or faking reflections would be unneeded.

This video explains fairly well how the NES (and C64) rendered its graphics:

Ok, so basically you’re saying that the original Super Mario and the Falcon are both the same because they both render real time. I’m sorry but the 8bit and 16bit (and in some respects even 64bit systems have some issues with it) systems didn’t have the capability to do this. I think what you’re confusing is interaction with specific object versus a complete real time rendered world. For example the backgrounds of Mario never get rendered real time, thus the world itself is all pre-rendered. It is only specific object that get rendered real time, and thus the action you see when Mario throws a shell for example. Otherwise if Mario was rendered entirely real time you’d be able to interact more with the world which is not possible.

Edit - Starfox, which used polygons, is a better example of a more real time rendering but it too had a lot of of pre-rendered object to save memory. It also required an extra graphic chip in order to do it which is why the game costed more than other NES games.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member

There are two different angles here..

How elements behave.. either as a dynamic program that reacts to feedback.. vs fixed behavior
How the visuals are constructed... either as playback of pre-rendered stuff, or stuff that is rendered in real-time

Most modern games will do both in real-time to a degree. But what is different about Smugglers run is the resolution and potentially number of dynamic elements.

The more detail, the more elements, the higher the resolution... all bump up what it takes to render the stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom