News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Anyone find it interesting that the only thing blocking the Rise entrance was a rope. Just a thought.
Not particularly. What are you trying to imply? That you think it means the ride will open sooner than we think?

Why would they build a more permanent barrier only to have to tear it down again?

180º

the attempted trollin is not even funny. You all need a new shtick. Ignore list keeps growing...
If you’re referring to @TROR ’s post, I don’t think it’s a bad idea in theory. Overhearing characters interacting with each other is a more natural and clever way to deliver exposition, in my opinion. Hondo could have still introduced himself in the pre-boarding video (where he looks best, I might add). Anyway, if TROR is trolling then I want to be trolled! :)

mickEblu

If you’re referring to @TROR ’s post, I don’t think it’s a bad idea in theory. Overhearing characters interacting with each other is a more natural and clever way to deliver exposition, in my opinion. Hondo could have still introduced himself in the pre-boarding video (where he looks best, I might add). Anyway, if TROR is trolling then I want to be trolled! :)

I Agree. It’s way more natural and less forced. It also lends itself to more repeatability and not something that you have to get through. Stuff like pre shows serve better as background noise. It’s kind of like what Rocket is ironically complaining about in his pre show.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
I don't suppose there's any chance ROTR is open by August? I had thought maybe it would open once they stop the reservations at the end of June, but everyone seems to think it's not anywhere near opening. Anyone actually have intel on this?

DLR>WDW

I don't suppose there's any chance ROTR is open by August? I had thought maybe it would open once they stop the reservations at the end of June, but everyone seems to think it's not anywhere near opening. Anyone actually have intel on this?
Yeah. Interesting we’ve heard nothing from the hundreds of Cast Members that are supposed to be assigned to ROTR. Very odd.

ThemeParkTraveller

Another poster mentioned this a few pages back, but here's the insider post in detail.

Realistically, there's a 30 day lead time between the time the executive team pulls the trigger on the 72 Hour Test, when the ride can pass the 72 Hour Test, and finally when training of Ops CM's can begin. And that's assuming the attraction passes the 72 Hour Test. It's not unheard of to have a new ride system fail a 72 Hour Test, which sends WDI back to work to fix whatever faults were found during the test, then do more follow up, then schedule another 72 Hour Test and cross fingers.

But for the purpose of the casual readers here in this thread, and to get more OT about when this ride may open, here's the timeline that would play out for opening ROTR. This assumes a 30 day lead time between when the 72 Hour Test gets a green light, plus 90 days of Ops Training to get 200+ dues paying Union CM's trained with a 3 week scheduling lead time. Plus four days of pad time for media events, previews, whatever.

If the 72 Hour Test gets approval this Monday, June 3rd, the ride opens Friday, October 4th. That's best case scenario and the earliest date humanly possible at this time.

Here's the rest of that basic schedule through the end of calendar year 2019, based on executive approval of a 72 Hour Test and then perfect timing and a little luck thereafter:

Approval Monday, June 10th, the ride opens Friday, October 11th
Approval Monday, June 17th, the ride opens Friday, October 18th
Approval Monday, June 23rd, the ride opens Friday, October 25th
Approval Monday, July 1st, the ride opens Friday, November 1st
Approval Monday, July 8th, the ride opens Friday, November 8th
Approval Monday, July 15th, the ride opens Friday, November 15th
Approval Monday, July 22nd, the ride opens Friday, November 22nd
Approval Monday, July 29th, the ride opens Friday, November 29th (that's Thanksgiving weekend, so highly unlikely, probably bounced to the following week)
Approval Monday, August 5th, the ride opens Friday, December 6th
Approval Monday, August 12th, the ride opens Friday, December 13th (I dare you to open a new E Ticket on Friday The 13th. I dare you!)
Approval Monday, August 19th, the ride opens Friday, December 20th (now you are in the peak Christmas weeks, probably bounced to early January)
Approval Monday, August 26th, the ride opens Friday, December 27th (same as the previous week)
Approval Monday, September 2nd, the ride opens Friday, January 3rd 2020

Continue that timeline into early 2020. Rinse and repeat.

Like I said, that "Opens later this year" tagline for ROTR is not just vague, it's wildly optimistic.

And according to another insider actually working on the ride, there are no plans to schedule the aforementioned test anytime soon.

Magic Feather

Another poster mentioned this a few pages back, but here's the insider post in detail.

And according to another insider actually working on the ride, there are no plans to schedule the aforementioned test anytime soon.
I could not find the original post quoted, but wow, that is inaccurate. It gets the basics right, but then it stretches the timelines by an obscene amount.

Magic Feather

Care to update it then so its more accurate based on whatever information you know, I'm sure a lot would be interested.... :)
I'm not able to give specific dates or timelines, but, as a comparison, se the pretty highly visible Slinky as a comparison. While is much more... simple, it still gives a good idea as to the timelines they are permitted to work within in regards to mandatory testing and training.
Other than that, I would expect the RotR's to open closer together than the lands themselves.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah. Interesting we’ve heard nothing from the hundreds of Cast Members that are supposed to be assigned to ROTR. Very odd.

Generally speaking...”cast members” aren’t allowed to know anything other than they are required to report to work wearing polyester. It’s not a baseball team or a “family”

The motive behind the delayed opening has to be figured out first. I haven’t seen anything near completely compelling yet. Here are the scenarios That fit:

1. Stretching out an “opening” for a year to drive more repeat ultra retail repeats. That makes more sense with the blackouts in Disneyland...but could work in Orlando too...as Florida customers is DUMB.
2. Crowd control necessitated. Nobody can jockey a crowd better...but maybe their data said making it a “half draw” was the only way to manage it at all.
3. They got a “test track” on their hands...and banked the whole draw on a ride that they can’t get ironed out. Or it sucks. Both possibilities causing 100 spin scenarios to be written.

Whatever it is...it’s bizarre. It would make NO sense to open this thing in a busy time - particularly like the holidays in Orlando.

Spidey sense is banging on this.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not able to give specific dates or timelines, but, as a comparison, se the pretty highly visible Slinky as a comparison. While is much more... simple, it still gives a good idea as to the timelines they are permitted to work within in regards to mandatory testing and training.
Other than that, I would expect the RotR's to open closer together than the lands themselves.

Slinky didn't have to go through state inspectors tho like Cali rides do tho. I know Disney tries to keep standards up, so the delta isn't in the results... but there is a delta in the path to opening.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Loool managers and coordinators (leads) at multiple locations would always tell us that guests leave their brains at home. Felt like a resort wide running joke from my vantage point

I resemble those remarks...

The operation became so “run itself” in Florida that they canned the leads and drove the experience away...the customers only needed to be given wrong information by a sophomore from Penn State with 1.5 days training to be convinced to still reach for the credit card and buy, buy, buy

Darkbeer1

Loool managers and coordinators (leads) at multiple locations would always tell us that guests leave their brains at home. Felt like a resort wide running joke from my vantage point

Ride designers (in general, not just Disney), plus Cal DOSH's permanent amusement ride division require you to think that way.

You have to plan for the worst case scenario, they measure for the tallest, smallest, largest guests, that they don't speak English, might be drunk/high or other mental issues, etc.

The lawyers also say that you have to expect the worst from a guest, and protect yourself from law suits.

As they say, not all Pass Holders deserve to have the first letter removed, but some do!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom