News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

captveg

To be fair, it often feels that way in the films, too.

See, for example, at 3 mins in this clip of the RotJ battle. Also, later in the clip when they are inside the Death Star 2 and their viewing angle is identical to X-Wing ones.

This is arguably the greatest space battle in cinematic history, and it has this spacial flaw. It's okay to let some things go.

TROR

To be fair, it often feels that way in the films itself, too.

See, for example, at 3 mins in this clip of the RotJ battle.

There's still a large distance between the Mon Cali ship and the Falcon.

Here's a link to the ride-through. At about 1:30 the Falcon goes through a tunnel that is certainly not wide enough for it to fit through. This problem is consistent throughout the ride.

captveg

Seems a lot like the journey through Death Star 2 in the RotJ clip. (I realize I edited my statement to include that comment while you were writing your response). It doesn't make any sense that the Falcon POV would match the X-Wing's, but it does.

It's a space fantasy. At a certain point you gotta accept some stretches from reality.

SuddenStorm

Here's a link to the ride-through. At about 1:30 the Falcon goes through a tunnel that is certainly not wide enough for it to fit through. This problem is consistent throughout the ride.

You're right... even in the first 10 seconds when it crashes into a pillar, it should've ripped apart half the ship. It doesn't get better. it definitely looks like they're piloting something the size of an escape pod.

Throughout the video, the movement seems a lot more like the comical flying/crashing seen in Star Tours 2 vs how the Falcon is in the films.

I also noticed that most of the video it feels like the Falcon's on the leash... like you're flying through a tunnel. I wonder if any of the other scenarios allow for more open space flight.

But dang does the gunner position look uninspired... the dude is literally just sitting there spamming the button.

SuddenStorm

Seems a lot like the journey through Death Star 2 in the RotJ clip. (I realize I edited my statment to include that comment while you were writing your response). It doesn't make any sense that the Falcon POV would match the X-Wing's, but it does.

It's a space fantasy. At a certain point you gotta accept some stretches from reality.

Sure... no film/video game is gonna be 100% accurate all the time, but watching the video, it doesn't look like they even tried to make it feel like there's a ship connected to that cockpit. Way to many close encounters on the left hand side. Not to sound like our resident Haunt, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a touch more effort in this regard.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Are any of those lands 14 acres though? I don’t think you can count the ROA (or TSI) as not only does it host multiple attractions but it is the centerpiece of the west side of the park and what it does for that side of the park atmospherically is immeasurable.

If you want to give out passes based on atmosphere and placemaking... you need to do the same for GE. Something like the Jungle Cruise... or autopia use MASSIVE amounts of space.

14 acres... of which housed only 2 mid to lower tier attractions previously. 14 acres... that in 50+ years.. wasn't converted to anything more valuable. So while you may get hung up on 14 acres... it's clear they didn't treat it as so valuable all these years.

It's not a convincing argument IMO to hang on how much space SW:GE is using... besides the woes over the ROA being altered... it really is expansion without tradeoff. So going on about the space used... is petty. It's space that wasn't utilized (much at all) for guests previously.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seems a lot like the journey through Death Star 2 in the RotJ clip. (I realize I edited my statement to include that comment while you were writing your response). It doesn't make any sense that the Falcon POV would match the X-Wing's, but it does.

Call it a change to make it approachable to general audiences. Most 'pilots' would not grasp the off-center cockpit position of the falcon for their flying path.. so it makes more sense to 'handicap' them and let them fly as if they were center of the ship.

NateD1226

Insider on RatChat gave some timeline info for ROTR:

Approval Monday, June 10th, the ride opens Friday, October 11th
Approval Monday, June 17th, the ride opens Friday, October 18th
Approval Monday, June 23rd, the ride opens Friday, October 25th
Approval Monday, July 1st, the ride opens Friday, November 1st
Approval Monday, July 8th, the ride opens Friday, November 8th
Approval Monday, July 15th, the ride opens Friday, November 15th
Approval Monday, July 22nd, the ride opens Friday, November 22nd
Approval Monday, July 29th, the ride opens Friday, November 29th (that's Thanksgiving weekend, so highly unlikely, probably bounced to the following week)
Approval Monday, August 5th, the ride opens Friday, December 6th
Approval Monday, August 12th, the ride opens Friday, December 13th (I dare you to open a new E Ticket on Friday The 13th. I dare you!)
Approval Monday, August 19th, the ride opens Friday, December 20th (now you are in the peak Christmas weeks, probably bounced to early January)
Approval Monday, August 26th, the ride opens Friday, December 27th (same as the previous week)
Approval Monday, September 2nd, the ride opens Friday, January 3rd 2020

JD2000

I accidentally posted this in the wrong place earlier, so...
I am not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but two insiders had a lengthy conversation on micechat, and said the earliest Rise of the Resistance could open is October, when you account for everything that must happen and the length of time required.

mickEblu

If you want to give out passes based on atmosphere and placemaking... you need to do the same for GE. Something like the Jungle Cruise... or autopia use MASSIVE amounts of space.

14 acres... of which housed only 2 mid to lower tier attractions previously. 14 acres... that in 50+ years.. wasn't converted to anything more valuable. So while you may get hung up on 14 acres... it's clear they didn't treat it as so valuable all these years.

It's not a convincing argument IMO to hang on how much space SW:GE is using... besides the woes over the ROA being altered... it really is expansion without tradeoff. So going on about the space used... is petty. It's space that wasn't utilized (much at all) for guests previously.

GEs placemaking only benefits itself. The ROA anchors 4 lands and basically the entire west side of the park. I thought I made that point clear in the last post.

I agree on Autopia which is why most of us are ok with it being replaced or at least shortened. Jungle Cruise is an authentic original Disneyland attraction and is its own ecosystem at this point. The uniqueness of being in a jungle in the middle of Anaheim is enough of a reason to validate its existence. It’s a one of the signature attractions of the park to this day. Plus it’s no 14 acres.

I don’t really remember what started the back and forth with you and the other poster. I was just responding to your inclusion of the ROA, which again, didn’t make any sense as it hosts multiple attractions and basically anchors 4 lands.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
GEs placemaking only benefits itself. The ROA anchors 4 lands and basically the entire west side of the park. I thought I made that point clear in the last post.

I agree on Autopia which is why most of us are ok with it being replaced or at least shortened. Jungle Cruise is an authentic original Disneyland attraction and is its own ecosystem at this point. The uniqueness of being in a jungle in the middle of Anaheim is enough of a reason to validate its existence. It’s a one of the signature attractions of the park to this day. Plus it’s no 14 acres.

I don’t really remember what started the back and forth with you and the other poster. I was just responding to your inclusion of the ROA, which again, didn’t make any sense as it hosts multiple attractions and basically anchors 4 lands.

The poster stated "It's strange seeing the juxtaposition between how masterfully Disneyland uses every acre possible to fit in as many attractions as possible and then you get a 14 acre land with (currently) only a simulator ride."

Effectively complaining about the lack of ride density and inferring 'waste'. For that point, ROA, Jungle, Autopia, etc are wasteful too... but as you justified them, you make the point. Density isn't the requirement... it's PAYOFF that matters. And I pointed out that the space was largely unused for guests anyway.. so density is less of an interest if you aren't giving much up. And SW:GE hasn't been short on payoff from all accounts so far.

SuddenStorm

Are any of those lands 14 acres though? I don’t think you can count the ROA (or TSI) as not only does it host multiple attractions but it is the centerpiece of the west side of the park and what it does for that side of the park atmospherically is immeasurable.

Let's look at what the ROA/TSI adds to Disneyland:

Tom Sawyer's Island with caves and other small areas for children of all ages to enjoy.
The Mark Twain and Columbia
Davy Crockett Canoes

Beautiful scenery for that whole half of the park + Railroad

And to top it all off, Fantasmic! which can entertain something like 20k people a night. Plus, it provides additional fireworks viewing adding 10k more people the fireworks can entertain per show.

I'd say that's a pretty good use of that space.

Phroobar

You're right... even in the first 10 seconds when it crashes into a pillar, it should've ripped apart half the ship. It doesn't get better. it definitely looks like they're piloting something the size of an escape pod.

Throughout the video, the movement seems a lot more like the comical flying/crashing seen in Star Tours 2 vs how the Falcon is in the films.

I also noticed that most of the video it feels like the Falcon's on the leash... like you're flying through a tunnel. I wonder if any of the other scenarios allow for more open space flight.

But dang does the gunner position look uninspired... the dude is literally just sitting there spamming the button.
The game is a rail shooter. It's not open world which is too bad since most games today are. It would have been cool to explore while piloting the Falcon. Too bad there is no aiming involved but that would take a different seating arrangement. Your controller has to be in front of the screen to move the target finder to shoot accurately. They couldn't do that here. It would take a lot more infrastructure to build a gunner chair and still see the screen.

I think it would have been cool to have two gunner pods on the left/right of the cockpit. That way everyone is in front of the screen and we would have four chairs instead of six. Everyone would have gotten a better view.

SuddenStorm

The game is a rail shooter. It's not open world which is too bad since most games today are. It would have been cool to explore while piloting the Falcon. Too bad there is no aiming involved but that would take a different seating arrangement. Your controller has to be in front of the screen to move the target finder to shoot accurately. They couldn't do that here. It would take a lot more infrastructure to build a gunner chair and still see the screen.

I think it would have been cool to have two gunner pods on the left/right of the cockpit. That way everyone is in front of the screen and we would have four chairs instead of six. Everyone would have gotten a better view.

They could've built the real gunner chairs like they have in the films... and had the gunners go to a separate room. But really, your post highlights more reasons why I think this was a poorly conceived ride idea from the start.

Phroobar

They could've built the real gunner chairs like they have in the films... and had the gunners go to a separate room. But really, your post highlights more reasons why I think this was a poorly conceived ride idea from the start.
That would have been really cool to have two separate rooms for gunners. It's still an amazing ride but would have cost a lot more for gunner stations.

solidyne

Considering that the Falcon survives being smashed multiple times into asteroids and other objects, being piloted by nine-year-olds, and being blasted by cannons non stop for a couple minutes, I'd say this is a minor infringement upon "reality."

Edit: Granted, the ride seems lame, nonetheless. IMO.

mickEblu

The poster stated "It's strange seeing the juxtaposition between how masterfully Disneyland uses every acre possible to fit in as many attractions as possible and then you get a 14 acre land with (currently) only a simulator ride."

Effectively complaining about the lack of ride density and inferring 'waste'. For that point, ROA, Jungle, Autopia, etc are wasteful too... but as you justified them, you make the point. Density isn't the requirement... it's PAYOFF that matters. And I pointed out that the space was largely unused for guests anyway.. so density is less of an interest if you aren't giving much up. And SW:GE hasn't been short on payoff from all accounts so far.

Oh ok I see what you re saying. Obvously Disneyland has shown that they are masterful at layering attractions like in TL (which was even better before) and fitting a lot of attractions in one small area - like the FL courtyard.

Right, GE was mostly backstage space so I feel that the trade off for my beloved wall of trees and Big Thunder Ranch and BBQ will be worth it in the end, especially if ROTR turns out be as great as we think it will be. GE will definitely provide a lot of payoff for many folks but I think we can agree that the amount of space they used for Falcon which in the end is a big build up to an underwhelming moderately fun video game could have been used better. A walk through attraction to give everyone the best of what the current Falcon experience offers and a family dark ride would have been a better use of space.

I agree that it is about the payoff, not about ride density per say. But I would argue more ride density = better payoff for MORE people most of the time. I personally have no interest in Building a droid or lightsaber but I’d probably have interest in a smaller scale Star Wars dark ride or a people mover that weaves through the land.

In regards to Autopia, you have to consider that it shares the space with the Subs and Monorail. So when you talk about them you have to talk about them as a package deal. The capacity/ ride experience (good or bad) all 3 provide together and what they do for the park atmospherically together. Anything under the monorail as currently configured would have to be low and sprawling like Autopia. Of course you can argue that they should and could reconfigure the monorail which I think will happen in the next decade.

Again I’m not sure how the ROA can be argued as wasteful in any rational argument. Not saying you re saying it’s wasteful but it’s apples / oranges comparing it to GE for the reasons mentioned previously.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom