News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Sharon&Susan

My point stands. splitting hairs there. dilapidation comes with age. guarantee you magic kingdom's mansion would not look like it is need of repair if Walt was alive when they built it.
The Haunted Mansion at WDW didn’t start to look aged at WDW until the 90’s (I think). It looked well kept like at Disneyland before that decision:
61C4E684-5D22-4753-A799-1C97E3A47820.jpeg
40084223-DBFB-4510-BA0E-57C9243F3AF4.jpeg

Today:
DDF00DF2-B272-46B3-959C-E30D36DFB53A.jpeg

Attachments

• 078BB3E9-384D-4DBF-8B1F-B44E34422F40.jpeg
    078BB3E9-384D-4DBF-8B1F-B44E34422F40.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 49

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Yes, Walt was living in a time when Amusement parks had dilapidated buildings and such and he wanted to distance himself and his park. It was a different time. The advertising for the attraction relied on a spookier and more abandoned look of the attraction. As for how Walt would feel about it now, its just conjecture. I would hope he would be smart enough to recognize the changes in the industry and public, but if he wouldn't have; then its kind of a good thing the parks aren't being ran by him. That is, if he would even be running parks considering how he was moving away from theme parks and more towards prototype communities near the end of his life.

View attachment 331034View attachment 331035View attachment 331036
oh I am not denying they used the "spooky" images for advertising at all. I am just responding to your point that Walt changed his mind about it being spooky due to him worried about public perception when that was never case.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

PB Watermelon

well it is a shame they let it end up like it did because it looks beautiful in the original pics. and the current condition ruins the vision walt had for his parks and the mansion ride itself.

Walt was unpredictable, to say the least. We really don't know how he would have evolved the parks over time. Epcot would have been different, that's for sure.

BrianLo

Original Poster
well it is a shame they let it end up like it did because it looks beautiful in the original pics. and the current condition ruins the vision walt had for his parks and the mansion ride itself.

There is no point citing Walt outside of the context of Disneyland. Walt had one park and had long moved on when the Florida project came into being. It was a board mandate to add a Magic Kingdom/Disneyland. I hate ‘What would Walt do’... because he didn’t want to do 90% of things people and Disney credit towards him. He was loonnng dead. Including the entirety of modern WDW. Especially people’s beloved original Epcot Center, which completely craps all over what Walt had planned.

Even the Haunted Mansion was built with a sole context towards the needs and wants of New Orleans Square. Walt didn’t have ‘a vision’ of Florida’s Mansion.

It’s time we actually cite the what ____ would have wanted towards the original design leads of every park that isn’t Disneyland.

mickEblu

Hi, I had been looking at this forum for a while. I just wanted to share this info.

Millennium Falcon
165,565 sq. feet (3.80 acres)
2 floors
$77,875,833
$470.00 per square foot

Battle Escape
115,206 sq feet (2.64 acres)
2 floors
$55,746,094
$483.88 square foot

Interesting. For the longest time I remember Micechat reporting that Battle Escape was going to be the bigger building.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Interesting. For the longest time I remember Micechat reporting that Battle Escape was going to be the bigger building.

I had seen another article that broke down permits and costs of each thing. And Battle Escape was certainly bigger. Unsure where that user got those stats?

Found it:

Attraction #2: $55.7 million
The city permits describe a 115,000-square-foot amusement building. It houses “Attraction #2.” The exterior of the two-story building would include a tower and antennas. The attraction interior would feature at least 20 scenes, with several “A/B scenes” suggesting multiple storylines. Scene 3 calls for a prefabricated “hero engine.”
The plans also call for the installation of a $4.4 million “iconic theme prop” in front of the attraction.
All those factors suggest that “Attraction #2” could be the Millennium Falcon flight simulator ride, codenamed “Big Bird.”

Attraction #1: $77.9 million
The city permits describe a 165,000-square-foot amusement building housing “Attraction #1.” The two-story attraction interior would feature at least 18 scenes. Exterior scenic elements would feature towers and antenna arrays.
The plans also call for a prefabricated “Escape Pod” prop vehicle.
All those factors suggest that “Attraction #1” could be the Battle Escape dark ride, codenamed “Alcatraz.”
The Battle Escape dark ride will put riders in the middle of a battle in a “race against time” to aid the Resistance.

https://blooloop.com/features/cost-of-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

lifeisgoodboy

Nice find. Yeah I think that user has them switched. I find it odd that a simulator attraction building would be larger than one where we re moving around large, elaborate sets.

No, I don't think they are switch because more people will go to the MF than the Battle Escape. They have to put 4 MF ride bays in the MF building. They need alot of square feet to put the 4 MF ride bays in. For the Battle Escape, I think the ride is going to be like Alice ride.

Disney Analyst

Why did you laugh at the end of this reply? It makes me want to not go on this forum anymore.

Oh sorry. It was to just express that I didn’t notice you had mixed up the attractions, nothing meant in a harmful or malicious way. Just trying to show the light hearted nature of the post.

But yes. You did switch them. MF is a smaller building as seen via aerial footage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom