News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SWGalaxysEdge

Also, there are 7 pods per turntable, 4 turntables for 28 pods, BUT there are 2 additional ADA compliant pods as well for a total of 30 pods.

Last edited by a moderator:

NobodyElse

Hi guys. I'm kinda new here, but I gotta say something.

Standing in line with hundreds of people in front of and behind me, knowing we are all somehow going to be running the same mission in the same ship is going to wreck me for life. You can try to persuade me otherwise, but I'm firmly stuck in this mindset.

;):banghead:

PB Watermelon

Hi guys. I'm kinda new here, but I gotta say something.

Standing in line with hundreds of people in front of and behind me, knowing we are all somehow going to be running the same mission in the same ship is going to wreck me for life. You can try to persuade me otherwise, but I'm firmly stuck in this mindset.

;):banghead:

You fiend. How darest thou break the illusion you're on a ride at a theme park!

Ismael Flores

this whole conversation has me intrigued. i ahve never been on the Harry Potter ride so this conversation has me wondering about the aproach for that ride.
Does the ride story line take place inside the Hogsworth Castle?

if it does how do they accomplish the illusion of entering at the base of what looks like a rock cliff and then out you in the castle that is perched up in the roof of the show building?

or does the ride story take place on the property of Howgsworth but not necessarily the castle itself?

BasiltheBatLord

this whole conversation has me intrigued. i ahve never been on the Harry Potter ride so this conversation has me wondering about the aproach for that ride.
Does the ride story line take place inside the Hogsworth Castle?

if it does how do they accomplish the illusion of entering at the base of what looks like a rock cliff and then out you in the castle that is perched up in the roof of the show building?

or does the ride story take place on the property of Howgsworth but not necessarily the castle itself?
Yes the attraction begins (and ends) inside of Hogwarts Castle. IIRC you enter in through a dungeon-ish entrance in the side of the castle and then work your way up through the castle.

Now that you mention that, one of the worst things about Forbidden Journey is their vision of The Great Hall (the loading area). It's literally just some lights with a bunch of mirrors trying to make it look like infinite candles.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

But how could they do that without screwing up what we know the inside of the Falcon to be like?

There's no canonical layout for the Haunted Mansion - so they can do things like take up the whole Mansion facade with two stretching rooms without ruining the story.

Not so with the Falcon.

As you see below, the only way to do what you're suggesting would be to seriously stretch the circular path around the core of the ship over to the game table. Doing it this way would really make it feel out of scale. This solution would also require only one turntable - that's awful capacity.

And you wouldn't be able to walk around the full ship exterior. It would be obvious that it's a prop stuck to a show building (a trick they are already doing their best to hide at the Rise of the Resistance entrance).

View attachment 330697
I am not a imagineer. they could design in this day and age to walk on the falcon. even if it meant coming up with a ride re-design and que re-design. I don't know why you are thinking I feel they should use the current design layout. start over and design a better ride from the get go to solve all the problems. this minor nitpick is my thing I get that it is not yours, but I do guarantee you will hear in line for the ride people complain they are not walking on that giant falcon you are standing next to in the que.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Haha, any evidence to back up the statement you said? I backed my argument. And Walt himself had several incarnations of the Haunted Mansion looking spooky and dilapidated. Even when it was proposed to Main Street. In almost all of the artwork put out to the public to advertise the house, it was worn with broken shutters and such. Yes, Walt ultimately decided that he thought the public would look down on a disheveled building in the middle of a theme park. And for guests in the early 60's who were used to visiting amusement parks with run down facades and attractions, he was probably right. However, the public is much more educated now. This isn't a new concept in some brand new unknown park. We know Disney is quality and we are used to seeing distressed areas of themeing for a more immersive feel. We see it in Animal Kingdom, Adventureland, Phantom Manor, Tower of Terror, Diagon Alley, etc etc etc.
WRONG. Walt himself did not have several incarnations of a spooky or dilapidated haunted house. read up on your mansion history. he wanted a haunted house and he had his animators and imagineers come up with several designs but he never liked the dilapidated look and he made the call to have the outside look prestine and upkept from the get go. he did not think the public would look down on it. he didn't want a dilapidated building in his park at all. it had nothing to do with public perception.

Sharon&Susan

In almost all of the artwork put out to the public to advertise the house, it was worn with broken shutters and such.
The only pieces of concept art released pre-1969 and approved by Walt to the public for the Haunted Mansion (and not in E Ticket Magazine or one of Disney’s own books) are the Mansion in a fun map from 1958:
AB801A90-7357-41A5-9249-B06DBD8D8103.jpeg

And a illustration in Walt Disney’s Guide to Disneyland:
A17B9931-5953-454E-818A-DAA93AC83096.jpeg

Such concept art as of the Main Street Haunted House were not released to the public years after the Haunted Mansion opened.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The only pieces of concept art released pre-1969 to the public for the Haunted Mansion (and not in E Ticket Magazine or one of Disney’s own books) are the Mansion in a fun map from 1958:
View attachment 330930
And a illustration in Walt Disney’s Guide to Disneyland:
View attachment 330931
Such concept art as of the Main Street Haunted House were not released to the public years after the Haunted Mansion opened.
again that is promo material that was used which were the original designs the imagineers came up with during the design phase that was never going to be what the actual mansion looked like(AND BY THAT I MEAN THE RUN DOWN CONDITION NOT THE ACTUAL BUILDING DESIGN). it was concept art they used for promotional material to let the public know the haunted house attraction was coming but it was never going to be dilapidated. walt never wanted a run down mansion in his park and he told them that after the initial designs. walt would hate the exterior to the mansion in florida and phantom mannor. If he was around today they both would be as prestine as the mansion façade in Disneyland. guaranteed.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

TO BACK UP MY CLAIMS I SUBMIT THIS LINK FROM DOOMBUGGIES.COM http://www.doombuggies.com/history3.php
HERE IS A COPY OF SOME OF THE TEXT: While the many treatments that Ken Anderson and other Imagineers proposed for the park's "Haunted House" were being discussed and debated, the look of the attraction's facade was being honed. Though early treatments by Harper Goff, Sam McKim and Anderson tended to lean on the standard ramshackle neglect generally attributed to possessed architecture, Walt Disney didn't like the direction the concepts were taking, as he didn't wish to have his park sullied with the look of decaying buildings. At the same time, WED Imagineers were beginning to research other "haunted" abodes for ideas related to the interior design of the Mansion - such as the reclusive widow Sarah Winchester's mansion up in San Jose, CA, or the fictional house in Robert Wise's 1963 film "The Haunting." I SUGGEST READING THE WHOLE PAGE. FASCINATING READ

DanielBB8

I am not a imagineer. they could design in this day and age to walk on the falcon. even if it meant coming up with a ride re-design and que re-design. I don't know why you are thinking I feel they should use the current design layout. start over and design a better ride from the get go to solve all the problems. this minor nitpick is my thing I get that it is not yours, but I do guarantee you will hear in line for the ride people complain they are not walking on that giant falcon you are standing next to in the que.
The movie makes the Falcon seem larger than what an actual spaceship will be. Does a 737 seem cramped as you walk down the aisle? A Falcon will be many times smaller than a 737. Imagineers can barely fit a small party, never mind a queue of people, to enter the Falcon.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The movie makes the Falcon seem larger than what an actual spaceship will be. Does a 737 seem cramped as you walk down the aisle? A Falcon will be many times smaller than a 737. Imagineers can barely fit a small party, never mind a queue of people, to enter the Falcon.
There was plenty of room for all those left over from the resistance plus a giant wookie and they all looked comfy in there at the end of the last jedi. plus if Anthony daniels in his very limited movement c-3p0 costume could constantly walk up and down the ramp then those in wheelchairs can do it too. Kenny baker in the r2-d2 robot that was motorized went up and down the ramp no problem.

DanielBB8

There was plenty of room for all those left over from the resistance plus a giant wookie and they all looked comfy in there at the end of the last jedi. plus if Anthony daniels in his very limited movement c-3p0 costume could constantly walk up and down the ramp then those in wheelchairs can do it too. Kenny baker in the r2-d2 robot that was motorized went up and down the ramp no problem.
Movie magic.

BD-Anaheim

TO BACK UP MY CLAIMS I SUBMIT THIS LINK FROM DOOMBUGGIES.COM http://www.doombuggies.com/history3.php
HERE IS A COPY OF SOME OF THE TEXT: While the many treatments that Ken Anderson and other Imagineers proposed for the park's "Haunted House" were being discussed and debated, the look of the attraction's facade was being honed. Though early treatments by Harper Goff, Sam McKim and Anderson tended to lean on the standard ramshackle neglect generally attributed to possessed architecture, Walt Disney didn't like the direction the concepts were taking, as he didn't wish to have his park sullied with the look of decaying buildings. At the same time, WED Imagineers were beginning to research other "haunted" abodes for ideas related to the interior design of the Mansion - such as the reclusive widow Sarah Winchester's mansion up in San Jose, CA, or the fictional house in Robert Wise's 1963 film "The Haunting." I SUGGEST READING THE WHOLE PAGE. FASCINATING READ

I fail to see how the Dutch Revival MK mansion looks dilapidated.

DanielBB8

Imagineer Ken Anderson’s concept art for the pristine Haunted Mansion was used as well.
its not movie magic when you see the barley able to walk Anthony daniels in full costume being able to walk up the ramp.
The ramp already is a steep climb. It isn’t ADA compliant. The interiors are clearly filmed on a soundstage. Not at all realistic for an attraction.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

not the style of the mansion but how it looks. it looks run down, it has vegetation growing wildly. looks like no one has mowed the lawn in decades. compare that to the original in Disneyland that looks very well kept and looks brand new.

D.Silentu

Now that you mention that, one of the worst things about Forbidden Journey is their vision of The Great Hall (the loading area). It's literally just some lights with a bunch of mirrors trying to make it look like infinite candles.
Pardon, but by way of clarification, the loading area is meant to be the Room of Requirement. Why it has the Great Hall's floating candles is anyones guess. I've always supposed that it was iconography that they had no other place for.

DanielBB8

you can design it so the ramp is compliant.
Yes, but everything will be out of scale. You walk up the hilariously low ramp with one turn and into a building that looks like the Falcon parked in front, but it’s a fake front. Maybe half the Falcon is shown. The Falcon facade is inside a hangar that has a mirror effect so it looks like a Falcon on the outside. Of course, it doesn’t fool too many people regardless. All this for walking up a ramp?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom