News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

tikiphil

A part of the Galaxy's Edge model is on display in the Star Wars Launch Bay in Disneyland.
starwars.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

I like how Captain Rex from Star Tours makes a return as a DJ. While it's not news that SW:GE won't be your typical theme park experience I'm continually impressed by LucasFilm's approach to retail in the new land. From the article:

“You’re gonna go to Batuu [the fictional outpost planet where Galaxy’s Edge is set] and you are not gonna see T-shirts with the Star Wars logo on it. You are going to be in an authentic Star Wars environment, and the things that you can eat and things that you can buy and things that you can see, all are within the world of Star Wars — not baseball caps with Star Wars all over it. You’re gonna have that, because fans are gonna bring what they bring to the experience, but from what the park gives to the fans, it’s going to be authentic in universe.”

mickEblu

I like how Captain Rex from Star Tours makes a return as a DJ. While it's not news that SW:GE won't be your typical theme park experience I'm continually impressed by LucasFilm's approach to retail in the new land. From the article:

“You’re gonna go to Batuu [the fictional outpost planet where Galaxy’s Edge is set] and you are not gonna see T-shirts with the Star Wars logo on it. You are going to be in an authentic Star Wars environment, and the things that you can eat and things that you can buy and things that you can see, all are within the world of Star Wars — not baseball caps with Star Wars all over it. You’re gonna have that, because fans are gonna bring what they bring to the experience, but from what the park gives to the fans, it’s going to be authentic in universe.”

“...but if you are looking for Galaxies Edge
T- shirts please visit the Star Trader or The Emporium but be sure to take them off before you set foot into Batuu. Also, to help ensure full immersion Inside Star Wars Land, please do your best to ignore all of the Mickey balloons, Mickey ice cream bars and Mickey ears.”

All jokes aside, I do appreciate the effort they are putting into this. Love that Captain Rex is making a comeback. Hopefully voiced by Pee Wee again.

Last edited:

Cameron1529

I can't believe all that is for two rides with mediocre capacity and (presumably) a height limit.

It will undoubtedly we a very busy place upon opening and I believe capacity will be poor for the attraction involving the millennium falcon (I don’t know the name of it) However on the positive it will be a very unique and immersive experience, one I think no one will have experienced

Old Mouseketeer

Disagree. The Falcon."Big Bird" ride should have a capacity of at least 1200 per hour. Each of the four carousels are rumored to have 7 cockpits, each holding up to six passengers. Let's call it an average of five passengers with a ride and loading time of 7 minutes for a total of 1200. A theoritical maximum with full cockpits and a ride and load time of five minutes equals 2016. I think the most optimistic we can expect when full operation is achieved is more like 5.5 average occupancy and ride/load time of 6 minutes, which comes out to 1540.

In short, I would guess we are looking at 1200-1500 hourly.

For the Battle Escape/"Alcatraz" attraction I would look to Mystic Manor in Hong Kong and Ratatouille in Paris for comparative figures, as well as the Transformers and Harry Potter Gringotts rides (for different points of comparison). But bear in mind this attraction is on a scale not seen before.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

It's a very fancy land with a dress code: Flack Tie And Jacket Required.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Disagree. The Falcon."Big Bird" ride should have a capacity of at least 1200 per hour. Each of the four carousels are rumored to have 7 cockpits, each holding up to six passengers. Let's call it an average of five passengers with a ride and loading time of 7 minutes for a total of 1200. A theoritical maximum with full cockpits and a ride and load time of five minutes equals 2016. I think the most optimistic we can expect when full operation is achieved is more like 5.5 average occupancy and ride/load time of 6 minutes, which comes out to 1540.

In short, I would guess we are looking at 1200-1500 hourly.

For the Battle Escape/"Alcatraz" attraction I would look to Mystic Manor in Hong Kong and Ratatouille in Paris for comparative figures, as well as the Transformers and Harry Potter Gringotts rides (for different points of comparison). But bear in mind this attraction is on a scale not seen before.

There is actually a pretty big capacity discrepancy between Rat and Mystic Manor. Rat is >2k in real world execution and Mystic Manor in the lower teens. Rat boats discrete seats, duo loading platforms and duplicated show scenes.

All of which is to say I really don't know what the Battle Escape ride will end up being. But I think @marni1971 's stance has been mid to low teens. Unless there is loading platform duplication, show scene duplication or more than 2 vehicles dispatched, I'd expect the ride capacity to come out on the Mystic Manor side of things.

Which, reliably at least... is slightly better than original Soarin'/TSMM/Flight of Passage/SDMT. But unfortunately, just slightly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How long will the "authentic" merch last before they replace it with Star Wars action figures and t-shirts?

Depends whether guests will buy the authentic immersive merch. If they don't....

BWAHAHAHA... couldn't keep a straight face. Star Wars fans will clear out the overpriced immersive merch.

Tatooine Traders and every other WDW store carries the touristy SW merch.

BrianLo

Original Poster
How long will the "authentic" merch last before they replace it with Star Wars action figures and t-shirts?

If it sells, a long, long time. I think Potter has remained relatively 'authentic'.

I guess it depends on what is truly deemed authentic though. There are still going to be toys that you likely wouldn't 'actually' find on Batuu. Just like some of the Potter stuff wouldn't actually be for sale in Hogsmeade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom