News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SSG

I haven't been to GE yet, so my opinion is based only on videos I've seen, but one disappointing thing is much of the interactivity that was promised for GE isn't happening. You have walk-around characters interacting with the guests and that looks alright, but Disney itself set higher expectations than just being able to talk to Rey or Chewie.

Not long before opening day Bob Chapek said Galaxy’s Edge visitors who opt in to the immersive experiences can have “persistent interaction” with characters and attractions throughout the land. "Not only will we be able to remember that and then interact with the guests accordingly, but over the course of several visits we’ll remember what they did the previous visit,” Chapek said.

Imagineering executive creative director Wendy Anderson talked about how your performance on the Millennium Falcon mission would important. Your reputation as a smuggler will follow you around Galaxy’s Edge:

“There are places in the land that will respond to you, It will know you went on the Millennium Falcon and maybe you didn’t do so good. You go in the cantina and you order a drink and you know what, that bartender’s going to be like, ‘Oh, you might owe some credits to Hondo at this point.’ And all I’ve done is walk into the land, stand in a queue and ride a ride. And then suddenly the land starts getting you to engage.”

Scott Trowbridge talked about how Vi would enlist your help with a Resistance mission, and Harkos the bounty hunter would come after you if you banged up the Falcon.

So did this stuff get cut? Has Disney not figured out how do it? Or are they waiting for Rise to open? Disney talked up the 'immersion' factor but seems to have backed off on much of it.

britain

I haven't been to GE yet, so my opinion is based only on videos I've seen, but one disappointing thing is much of the interactivity that was promised for GE isn't happening. You have walk-around characters interacting with the guests and that looks alright, but Disney itself set higher expectations than just being able to talk to Rey or Chewie.

Not long before opening day Bob Chapek said Galaxy’s Edge visitors who opt in to the immersive experiences can have “persistent interaction” with characters and attractions throughout the land. "Not only will we be able to remember that and then interact with the guests accordingly, but over the course of several visits we’ll remember what they did the previous visit,” Chapek said.

Imagineering executive creative director Wendy Anderson talked about how your performance on the Millennium Falcon mission would important. Your reputation as a smuggler will follow you around Galaxy’s Edge:

“There are places in the land that will respond to you, It will know you went on the Millennium Falcon and maybe you didn’t do so good. You go in the cantina and you order a drink and you know what, that bartender’s going to be like, ‘Oh, you might owe some credits to Hondo at this point.’ And all I’ve done is walk into the land, stand in a queue and ride a ride. And then suddenly the land starts getting you to engage.”

Scott Trowbridge talked about how Vi would enlist your help with a Resistance mission, and Harkos the bounty hunter would come after you if you banged up the Falcon.

So did this stuff get cut? Has Disney not figured out how do it? Or are they waiting for Rise to open? Disney talked up the 'immersion' factor but seems to have backed off on much of it.

I've only heard like one person on these boards say that it happened to them but only because they had their Disney PLAY app running when they went on the Falcon.

I suspect it will happen a lot more with Magic Bands in Florida.

drod1985

The new Rex looks like it was designed by the Chinese artists at the Looney Tunes restaurant across the street.

Original Rex looks more like Tiger's 2-XL than a Star Wars droid. I dig Rex's upgrades.

SSG

I've only heard like one person on these boards say that it happened to them but only because they had their Disney PLAY app running when they went on the Falcon.

I suspect it will happen a lot more with Magic Bands in Florida.
Could be. But why talk up the interactivity if it wasn't going to a big thing in the DL version as well?

socalifornian

I saw a pair of stormtroopers twice. The first time they were leading around a kid who was dressed like a stormtrooper, and pretending to train him by asking people about Resistance sightings. The second time was like Tomorrowland. Saw Chewie once from a distance, it was obvious he just walked onstage from somewhere near RoTR

Figments Friend

If touched on this same topic some time ago, noting the lack of 'interactive' experiences that were so trumpeted by Disney during construction.
So far, nothing seems to have come to light.

Perhaps this is a element that will be more present at WDW's version?
The 'Mouse Arrest Bands'....cough...sorry..'MAGICBands' make it easier to do....but then again, even those were hyped as being the key to experienced amazing interactive elements in the WDW Parks and Atractions.
That never happened in the scope originally presented either, to justify the insane expensive of the tech / system.

Blowin' a lotta smoke.....

We shall see if anything develops.
A bit disappointing thus far.

-

TP2000

Exactly! It's obvious all that stuff got cut. I can only surmise the bean counters thought the dumb tourists weren't worth the expense.

My visit last night was super successful because the land was dead and I never waited more than 15 minutes to ride the Falcon and the land is aesthetically extremely impressive to look at. But the land felt lifeless and lacked energy and soul. And none of that interactive stuff appeared anywhere for me, even though I have an iPhoneX with the Disneyland App and Play App downloaded and the land was nearly empty.

I just said this in another thread, but it fits here even more...

This dud of a land needs a live band on the big dining patio, it needs a lone musician playing a weird instrument down a back alley so the music wafts around corners, it needs droids zipping around making beep-boop noises, it needs bad guys trash talking good guys, it needs a creepy looking three eyed green alien coming up to you and trying to steal your churro or digging through your diaper bag, etc., etc.

All those rooftops and empty baclonies needs this stunt show that Imagineering said the land would have back in 2017.

None of that is happening, and the land feels lifeless and lacking energy because of it.

The crabby hostesses on the verge of nervous breakdowns at the modestly-busy Cantina entrance and the CM's in the empty Droid Depot chatting with each other about being scheduled to work the 4th of July wasn't cutting it for me last night. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Exactly! It's obvious all that stuff got cut. I can only surmise the bean counters thought the dumb tourists weren't worth the expense.

My visit last night was super successful because the land was dead and I never waited more than 15 minutes to ride the Falcon and the land is aesthetically extremely impressive to look at. But the land felt lifeless and lacked energy and soul. And none of that interactive stuff appeared anywhere for me, even though I have an iPhoneX with the Disneyland App and Play App downloaded and the land was nearly empty.

I just said this in another thread, but it fits here even more...

This dud of a land needs a live band on the big dining patio, it needs a lone musician playing a weird instrument down a back alley so the music wafts around corners, it needs droids zipping around making beep-boop noises, it needs bad guys trash talking good guys, it needs a creepy looking three eyed green alien coming up to you and trying to steal your churro or digging through your diaper bag, etc., etc.

All those rooftops and empty baclonies needs this stunt show that Imagineering said the land would have back in 2017.

I love your posts with their bolded out statements. Lol Next time I come, we’ve gotta get together. Maybe by then Tipples and Topples will be open and we can meet up there. I’ll have my first drink in years and we can see what happens together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom