News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Mac Tonight

Can we copy the Honeypot: Skyliner thread idea for SW:GE... I know I have likely got caught up in discussing the land myself, but this thread is for talking about construction, and for the reviews of people who have gone to SW:GE! Thank you!
Actually, there is a whole separate thread for reviews. I believe its pinned at the top of the DL sub-forum. Trying to get this thread to stay on topic of construction (especially since its all pretty much done) is kind of a fruitless endeavor.

SuddenStorm

This thread is about construction and now that the project is constructed I think it has run its course, jumped the shark and now deviated into a circle of arguments that belong in some other thread.

Changing the title of the thread is an unfortunate attempt to keep this thread filled with bitter people that haven’t even and may never even enter the land.

Impressions from afar are about as useful to the historical construction story of SWGE as a secondhand description of someone else’s Instagramed dinner is to my understanding of how the meal was actually created.

I’ve lurked on this thread for a very long time but now I’m out. Y’all have fun while we go live our Star Wars adventures.

I love when the lurkers get mad that the conversation doesn't keep them entertained anymore.

shambolicdefending

I see 'it should have been Tatooine' come up a lot in discussions about the park here and elsewhere. Is it just me then that has no interest in a Tatooine theme park land? It's a great place on film, but man I think it'd make for a boring experience in a park. I think Batuu makes for a much better looking theme park expansion, with it's abundance of greenery and petrified tree-style visuals. If I wanted to wander around concrete made to look like sand, with little shade in the ever-increasing southern heat, I'd visit Toy Story Land.

They're obviously just saving a Tatooine-themed land for when they finally get around to building that third domestic resort in Texas.

fctiger

I see 'it should have been Tatooine' come up a lot in discussions about the park here and elsewhere. Is it just me then that has no interest in a Tatooine theme park land? It's a great place on film, but man I think it'd make for a boring experience in a park. I think Batuu makes for a much better looking theme park expansion, with it's abundance of greenery and petrified tree-style visuals. If I wanted to wander around concrete made to look like sand, with little shade in the ever-increasing southern heat, I'd visit Toy Story Land.

Exactly! There is nothing actually interesting or exciting about Tatooine in itself. Its just mostly flat desert land. The only thing that is vaguely interesting about it is the little town and the Cantina which Batuu has already taken both from.

And Batuu just looks beautiful. It looks a bit primitive and old like Tatooine but it feels like an inviting place at the same time, sort of like an old historical city.

George Lucas on a Bench

They should have built Coruscant.

22hf8ynpzlk01.jpg

Okay, maybe not feasible. It's one of the reasons I prefer the prequels. The alien planets in the Star Wars movies typically look very Earthly. Desert, snow, California forest. Endor looks like the Challenge Creek Trail.

DanielBB8

Aside from Cantina and hangar where Han met Jabba the Hutt, there’s Luke’s Aunt and Uncle underground place (where blue milk should be served), Ben Kenobi’s hideout, the Sandwalkers, the Sandcrawler, Jabba’s Palace, Jundland Wastes.

There’s a whole world there and there’s absolutely nothing about Batuu.

solidyne

Read this in the MiceChat update, and thought @TP2000 would find this amusing:

"When we asked where the best spot to watch the fireworks inside the new land would be, we were alternately told “What are these fireworks you speak of,” or “We hear that a battle may take place above Batuu at 9:30.” All this fake ‘we are on another planet’ stuff is really starting to get old. We’re in a theme park folks, stop frustrating the guests and just answer their questions! "

I expect a lot of the play acting by CMs to end come Labour Day if they won't answer basic questions.
Exactly. The play-acting works well in HM and ToT because it's in the attraction. Guests know whether they're in or out of an attraction. With GE (for better or worse) the land is the attraction, moving that boundary outward. That doesn't sit right with most parkgoers' sensibilities

Professortango1

Construction completed. Nothing else to talk about except what we’re seeing. I see Batuu, a remake of Tatooine.

A combination of Tatooine and Takodana. Ancient temples and structures, desert landscapes with forests and waterfalls. It works because newer fans don't really care about Mos Eisley and older fans don't care about Takodana and Maz. But if this land plays into both settings, both fans feel like it fits their version of Star Wars.

DanielBB8

A combination of Tatooine and Takodana. Ancient temples and structures, desert landscapes with forests and waterfalls. It works because newer fans don't really care about Mos Eisley and older fans don't care about Takodana and Maz. But if this land plays into both settings, both fans feel like it fits their version of Star Wars.
whether newer fans don’t care for Mos Eisley is not evident at how they devoured the new incarnation of the Cantina. Tatooine is where the origins of Luke Skywalker took place. Takodana is a mere nowhere land like Batuu. This is not an good example of why Disney decided to do this. They already made their plans clear. Perhaps Rian Johnson looked at the plans and said Luke is dead. Haha.

Bleed0range

I didn't think imagination means plagiarize.

I pasted this 2 pages ago. "How The Force Awakens is a remake of A New Hope"

Read More: https://www.looper.com/6702/ways-force-awakens-remake-new-hope/?utm_campaign=clip

It's so funny that we are back to my original argument again. Batuu is a remake of Tatooine that they should have done it right the first time.

News flash. Most of SW expanded universe gaming and what not featured building designs/architecture and ideas lifted from the stuff that originated on Tatooine. Tatooine even had such a strong influence that Jedi robes were basically lifted from the general wardrobe on the planet when the prequels came around. It has decidedly just become that “Star Wars feel.” Plagiarize is such an over dramatic term.

Bleed0range

Exactly. The play-acting works well in HM and ToT because it's in the attraction. Guests know whether they're in or out of an attraction. With GE (for better or worse) the land is the attraction, moving that boundary outward. That doesn't sit right with most parkgoers' sensibilities

It doesn’t make any sense to pretend to not know what fireworks are in the SW universe since they fire off fireworks over multiple planets at the end of ROTJ.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

There are definitely storylines to trace through Batuu. Blaster marks from a bar fight with Padme. The rebel spy (from Star Tours) is being tracked by Kylo
There is no way the firs order is looking for some random rebel from 30 years ago that has info for the EMPIRE which is not connected to the first order. his info would be meaningless and out dated. AGAIN, that type of logic is ABSURED! Oh and Natalie Portman's Padme would never get in a bar fight. she is too classy for that.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Star Tours was always canon. I believe Indiana Jones is too. This is not something new.
Star Tours is not cannon(original STAR TOURS that is, I don't care at all about awful new Star Tours). They claim it takes place after RETURN OF THE JEDI but there is no waay that would make sense since the EMPIRE is still around and they have a fully built Death Star which NEGATES EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED IN RETURN OF THE JEDI! No, Star Tours is not cannon but a random adventure that is set in the star wars universe that allows you to visit some of it's greatest hits like the Death Star. it is more of the feeling of Star Wars and the sense of adventure it gives that made it a great ride.

Last edited:

Professortango1

whether newer fans don’t care for Mos Eisley is not evident at how they devoured the new incarnation of the Cantina. Tatooine is where the origins of Luke Skywalker took place. Takodana is a mere nowhere land like Batuu. This is not an good example of why Disney decided to do this. They already made their plans clear. Perhaps Rian Johnson looked at the plans and said Luke is dead. Haha.

You do realize that the major scene in Takodana took place in....a Cantina.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom