News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
I thought it was only a year? Didn't it close late late 2014? So, a year and a few months due to last minute delays?

It was actually only a year and 19 days... but why not just round up to 2 years for added effect? :p

It was supposed to be about 9 months, they ran into some issues though.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Not quite as drastic this week from the parking garage. That will change as soon as some of these buildings leave as @Old Mouseketeer mentioned. Seems lots of work this week was in Big Thunder itself and progressively clearing the berm.

i-Pf8b2SB-O.png

Only about half the expected berm has been cleared to the point of dirt, but you can see everything to the very right of this frame will eventually go. It's getting there.

i-v7kBHdL-O.png

Big Thunder Ranch...

i-stVSn6x-O.png

Equipment is now making its way further down.

(Credit Mint Crocodile)

D

Deleted member 107043

Not quite as drastic this week from the parking garage.

But still pretty dramatic. It's getting to the point now where it's beginning to become unrecognizable from what it looked like before.

I find Disney construction pics fascinating. Looking up close at the images of the ROA side of the demolition reveals how most of DL is just set dressing and show.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianLo

Original Poster
With groundbreaking starting next month on both coasts, is WDW's version really going to open years after Disneyland's?

No, it's going to open about 12 months later (more or less). Just in terms of calendar years though and with Disneyland's internally projected to open December 2018, it's quite easy for people to spin it as 'years' to suit whatever agenda they may be currently on.

I don't think they are actually breaking ground on Star Wars at DHS in April, more just a general kick off to the DHS redo (starting with Toy Story and construction staging).

Sped2424

wednesday.jpg

You have taken the land which is rightfully ours. Years from now, my Audio-Animatronic people will be forced to live on a smaller waterfront. Your people will wear bad See-Threepio hats and ride the Millennium Falcon. We will provide amusement to the railroad and riverboats. You will play with lightsabers and enjoy blue milk.
My people will have pain and degradation, your people will have new 2 new e tickets. The Gods of my tribe have spoken they have said do not trust Burbank, especially Bob Iger. And for all these reasons I have decided to scalp you, and burn your village to the ground.
tumblr_myvsm6crFm1sqhz11o1_500-1435702221.gif

Andrew M

My favorite part of renovations/demolition of historic places is the uncovering of old features during the work. I love that in this picture you can clearly see the original 1955 path of the railroad through the two tunnels straight back to the old roundhouse at the bottom right. They haven't seen a train in over 50 years and yet there it is once you clear everything else away..
IMG_0489.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

I came across this old photo that I'd never seen of the DLRR taken in 1955 passing by the ROA along the exact spot where the berm is currently being leveled for SW Land. DL has changed so much since it opened.

2011softfocus1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom