News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

lifeisgoodboy

I don't know why you had the assumption that a passive viewer experience would offer the more tame motions than the one where you are actively involved pusing buttons, steering, etc. In the more extreme moments in Star Tours you can grab at the hand-rests. In the Falcon ride, your hands should be busy, so I wouldn't expect to be thrown violently about while doing so.

I wonder if they are going to do foot pedals too. I saw it in the YT-1300 millennium falcon blue book.
Haynespage-33-768x494.png

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
I haven’t rode it but it’s also a huge screen with amazing imagery right? Not video game graphics and a much smaller screen

Flight of Passage is pre-rendered, yes. Smuggler's Run is rendered on the fly.

But both are just different intersections of technology.

Based on the tech they are using Smuggler's Run is firmly well beyond anything the not even announced next generation of video game consoles will be. It is also using 5 projectors per pod, despite the screen size that compares well to Flight of Passage.

So Smugglers run on the intersection of technology is not a consumer level video game.

mickEblu

Flight of Passage is pre-rendered, yes. Smuggler's Run is rendered on the fly.

But both are just different intersections of technology.

Based on the tech they are using Smuggler's Run is firmly well beyond anything the not even announced next generation of video game consoles will be. It is also using 5 projectors per pod, despite the screen size that compares well to Flight of Passage.

So Smugglers run on the intersection of technology is not a consumer level video game.

I didn’t mean to imply it’s a video game that you could pick up at a store but my point still stands as far as thrills. Their may be less movement in FOJ than Star Tours but the fact that you are in front of a huge screen with amazing imagery makes it feel that much more thrilling when/if the banshee swoops down. I don’t see how the Falcon ride can make up for the limited motion with the smaller screens.

In the end I’m sure it’ll be fun but probably not something I’ll waste a Fastpass on or wait more than an hour for after the first time. Judging by the reports, it sounds like their may still be a place for Star Tours after all. To me it doesn’t sound like the Falcon ride is making Star Tours obsolete.

Last edited:

bshah365

Just got home from the parks and saw and heard a few cool things

MUSIC: There's been scattered videos on youtube but I had to check it out for myself. The land's music is pretty loud and can be heard through the walls near the trail.. even a loud showing of Fantasmic next door couldn't mask the new John Williams score. Many guests were in the area listening too.

LIGHTING PACKAGE: Tonight seemed like a full official dress rehearsal for the entire lands lighting.... and I'm... so impressed. I was very curious for a while and worried the land would have a very dark feel with only some scattered lanterns glowing to light the paths (similar to Frontierland). While on thunder, the entire market looked very well lit with cool nighttime touches. There are cool red lights on top of Docking Bay 7 where the ship is parked that almost resemble the lights found on an airplane runway. The blue color scheme across the mountains looks beautiful and not too crazy bright.. its subtle and wasn't an eyesore when looking at the range from the river..

The path from hungry bear and near thunder are dark with scattered lanterns to make for a dramatic reveal as you enter the land.

I filmed a shaky video on thunder with my crappy iPhone but the screenshots just don't give it justice at all.

Phroobar

I remember when the land was just a pile of dirt. Look where it is now! I am amazed.
Don't forget about the improvements to the river. Everybody thought it was destroying the river and island. Instead it enhanced it and gave it a new lease on life.

You all hate the idea when it is presented and starting to be built. Once done, you typically love it. (unless it's GOTG:MB or Pixar Pier)

Phroobar

I hear Disney is still having staffing issues with the new land. Cast members don't want to give up their comfortable rides for the mayhem of a new ride. That is the main reason ROTR won't open early. HR's hiring process is taking too long. It seems to take 2-3 months from the time you stumble in HR to when you are standing in front of a ride.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I hear Disney is still having staffing issues with the new land. Cast members don't want to give up their comfortable rides for the mayhem of a new ride. That is the main reason ROTR won't open early. HR's hiring process is taking too long. It seems to take 2-3 months from the time you stumble in HR to when you are standing in front of a ride.

Doubtful. Disney would solve that with incentives if that was what was really holding them back. Labor shifts can be fixed with simple dollars.. you don't stop the entire juggernaut over something you control like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom