News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SSG

Could that concrete enclosure in front of the Green Cross sign possibly be a loading platform for Columbia during Fantasmic? It would sure improve things for the cast and crew, assuming they could add some kind of removeable/concealable gangway.
Interesting idea.

TP2000

Can I express how NOT impressed I am with the size of that hole they've dug? It looks like half the size of the Haunted Mansion show building. I know that it's just the basement, and maybe the upper levels will probably be much larger. But so far, this is not close to the record-breaking size Miceage was making it out to be.

This isn't Disney bashing. This is questioning the validity of Miceage's rumor.

Just quoting these for posterity, and for further commentary in a year or so when the exterior of the ride warehouses will be basically completed. :cool:

TP2000

Here's a video taken Monday, September 26th. This was the height of the season's first heatwave, with mild Santa Anas. (For those outside of SoCal, September/October are when we generally get our hottest days of the year) It topped out at 105 in Anaheim, with humidity at 9%, enough to make you thirsty within seconds. But the very nice lady who does these videos weekly trekked up to the roof anyway to get the latest shots. Talk about dedication!

And just think of all those workmen down there in that heat! Luckily it's cooling off the next few days, and by the weekend highs will be in the 70's again.

britain

Just quoting these for posterity, and for further commentary in a year or so when the exterior of the ride warehouses will be basically completed. :cool:

Thanks for also including for posterity the part in the middle where I say the rest of the building will probably be larger.

britain

Here's a video taken Monday, September 26th. This was the height of the season's first heatwave, with mild Santa Anas. (For those outside of SoCal, September/October are when we generally get our hottest days of the year) It topped out at 105 in Anaheim, with humidity at 9%, enough to make you thirsty within seconds. But the very nice lady who does these videos weekly trekked up to the roof anyway to get the latest shots. Talk about dedication!

And just think of all those workmen down there in that heat! Luckily it's cooling off the next few days, and by the weekend highs will be in the 70's again.

Neat to see what appears to be the top edge of some wall theming at 4:06!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Ok, taking it down a level, let me make a less controversial observation about that hole: It seems awfully deep for how not amazingly wide it is. It gives the impression that when you're in the space below, it will feel rather claustrophobic.

Having said that, set design works wonders. You could probably fit Toad and Pan down in there and not feel any claustrobobia at all. And obviously there will be plenty of ride that's above ground.

If I had to guess I would say the hole Is to accommodate some component of the ride system. I definitely think the show building will be bigger then the hole, and I also wouldn't be surprised it the ride path did NOT go into the hole.

britain

So it looks like my comments took this whole thread and buried it, but allow me to dig it up for another observation. :)

If Disneyland is using such a deep hole for battle escape, how will the same attraction look / work in Florida where you can't go down very far. There aren't utilidors at the Studios, are there?

I point this out as a potential for come creative variety between the two versions of the attraction, which should be a good thing.

Mike S

So it looks like my comments took this whole thread and buried it, but allow me to dig it up for another observation. :)

If Disneyland is using such a deep hole for battle escape, how will the same attraction look / work in Florida where you can't go down very far. There aren't utilidors at the Studios, are there?

I point this out as a potential for come creative variety between the two versions of the attraction, which should be a good thing.
I've read before that the only reason they're being "buried" in DL is sightlines. In WDW they're just building up from the ground.

Mawg

If I had to guess I would say the hole Is to accommodate some component of the ride system. I definitely think the show building will be bigger then the hole, and I also wouldn't be surprised it the ride path did NOT go into the hole.
yeah, I would guess some hydraulic lifts of some kind.

truecoat

They'll be more or less exactly the same.

SSG

Just saw this on Twitter
AdrianDisney ‏@Adrianpuente18 20m20 minutes agoAnaheim, CA
Disney is working on Star Wars land right now!!!!!!!!!!! At 8:45

SW night.jpg

TP2000

Man, you can't catch a break in this thread

I know. I feel badly for @britain :( Let's just assume the difficulty of expressing tone and nuance on the Internet is to blame.

To get back to @britain and his valid question... Much like Haunted Mansion, I would expect that once you get inside the Star Wars rides that the experience will be identical or nearly identical between the coasts. But from the exterior the look and scale and scope may noticeably differ. The high water table of central Florida is almost always the reason why that has to happen.

It has yet to be seen whether the aesthetics and showmanships of Star Wars Land will benefit from basements or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom