News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Despite my gripes about not being able to walk on the physical Falcon, which have been well documented on this thread, I really do hope the land is a success and the rides are awesome however, does anyone else feel the land feels and looks nothing like Star Wars? I get it. They want a planet they can tie into their movies. but from a hardcore Star Wars fan as myself I feel let down. I think what the fans were expecting was a land that created some of the planets and actual locations of the OT trilogy. have the land be broken up into different sections: one for tatooine so you can go to the actual cantina and Jabba's Palace and explore Luke's home. A section for Hoth to explore the rebel base and maybe a ride where you escape from AT-ATs through the snow on a snow speeder. a section containging dagobah perhaps. a section for Endor to explore the Ewok village and go on a ride based on the speeder bike chase scene. maybe a cloud city area where you can have a experience through Disney magic of thinking you are being frozen as carbonyte. maybe a death star section to explore the actual death star. Star Wars fans consider true star wars as the OT. not the prequels or Disney films. this land does not have a timeless feel. who wants to see a AA of general hux????? a bland horribly over the top acted villain. Star Wars fans want to explore the locations of the OT films not some random outpost planet never seen on film they have no connection with. this is why the original star tours was a big hit mainly because we got to go on the death star trench run and go to light speed. I feel the land will become dated. and I think the falcon ride will seem odd because J.J. is going to blow up the falcon in the next movie. I base that on in star trek he destroyed the enterprise. and all the OT characthers are dead except Leia and JJ wont kill off chewie so he needs something to make the audience feel like they lost a long lost friend. I think having a star wars land is a interesting idea but I think the design and execution so far is disappointing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Despite my gripes about not being able to walk on the physical Falcon, which have been well documented on this thread, I really do hope the land is a success and the rides are awesome however, does anyone else feel the land feels and looks nothing like Star Wars? I get it. They want a planet they can tie into their movies. but from a hardcore Star Wars fan as myself I feel let down. I think what the fans were expecting was a land that created some of the planets and actual locations of the OT trilogy. have the land be broken up into different sections: one for tatooine so you can go to the actual cantina and Jabba's Palace and explore Luke's home. A section for Hoth to explore the rebel base and maybe a ride where you escape from AT-ATs through the snow on a snow speeder. a section containging dagobah perhaps. a section for Endor to explore the Ewok village and go on a ride based on the speeder bike chase scene. maybe a cloud city area where you can have a experience through Disney magic of thinking you are being frozen as carbonyte. maybe a death star section to explore the actual death star. Star Wars fans consider true star wars as the OT. not the prequels or Disney films. this land does not have a timeless feel. who wants to see a AA of general hux????? a bland horribly over the top acted villain. Star Wars fans want to explore the locations of the OT films not some random outpost planet never seen on film they have no connection with. this is why the original star tours was a big hit mainly because we got to go on the death star trench run and go to light speed. I feel the land will become dated. and I think the falcon ride will seem odd because J.J. is going to blow up the falcon in the next movie. I base that on in star trek he destroyed the enterprise. and all the OT characthers are dead except Leia and JJ wont kill off chewie so he needs something to make the audience feel like they lost a long lost friend. I think having a star wars land is a interesting idea but I think the design and execution so far is disappointing.

I completely disagree. Hardcore SW fans and even the casual fan are both likely to eat this up. Not only because of the content, but because of how immersive the land will be, at least initially. There is a whole large sub-culture of SW fans that read the books, write fan fiction, play the games, collect the figurines and sets, and even cosplay. It is these fans that Disney is counting on. Not just those that only watch the movies.

The reason they went with a new land was not so they could tie it into their movies, as so far there has been no actual movie tie-in. And I'm betting their won't be in Ep9 either. They went with a new land so there is no preconceived notion of what the land should look like and what experience you would have there. Basically to start with a clean slate as it were. They could have gone the easy route with some of the examples you gave like Endor, Hoth, or Cloud City. In fact there were rumors that at one time they were looking into some of that for a TL redo. But they wanted to create a new experience that was never seen before, something more challenging. Time will tell if they succeed or not, but so far what I've seen looks like they will.

Also I'm not sure why you think JJ will blow up the Falcon in Ep9, this isn't Star Trek. In Star Trek there was already precedence set that the Enterprise can and does get destroyed long before JJ ever did it. Also at some point the OT characters have to die as you can't have Harrison continue to play Han Solo when he is 90. LMAO :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

remy62

I apologize for my average English.

After hours of analysis of photos and videos of construction, reading on forums, and hours on Photoshop, here is an instructive mass plan of the preshow phase and Loading of Star Wars : Rise Of The Resistance.

Warning : If you want to keep the surprise effect (which just looks great!), I advise you not to click. It might disappoint you. ;)

if I was wrong in some place, please let me know :
... Too late. :p

PS: This is only my view. The IRL result may be different.
Battle Escape - Fan Blueprint - WDWmagic.jpg

britain

The reason they went with a new land was not so they could tie it into their movies, as so far there has been no actual movie tie-in. And I'm betting their won't be in Ep9 either. They went with a new land so there is no preconceived notion of what the land should look like and what experience you would have there. Basically to start with a clean slate as it were. They could have gone the easy route with some of the examples you gave like Endor, Hoth, or Cloud City. In fact there were rumors that at one time they were looking into some of that for a TL redo. But they wanted to create a new experience that was never seen before, something more challenging. Time will tell if they succeed or not, but so far what I've seen looks like they will.

Most of the planets in the movies are sort of one-and-done as far as the plot is concerned. The plot takes us to a relatively peaceful location, and then war hits it, and moves on. If you want a constantly churning Star Warsy experience, then you don't want to recreate Hoth, Endor, Utapau, etc.

The exceptions are: Tattooine & Courosant. Tattooine would be an excellent 'radiator springs' of Star Wars BUT it is supposed to be super dry, void of any vegetation. Even Carsland has the flexibility to add some shady trees.

The problem with Courosant is that it's essentially another Tomorrowland AND the scale of the place is just too large to recreate without it coming off as silly. The only really iconic structures of Courosant are the senate building and the jedi temple, both of which are the size of the great pyramids in the movies. In a park, they would have to be like the little Beast's castle on top of Be Our Guest.

Solution: A lush green Tattooine. I give you Batuu!

mickEblu

Uggg. I was really hoping RotR was going to be more like PotC and less like Indy. I love Indy, but was really hoping for a leisurely dark ride where I could just appreciate the details of the ride.

Worse, I hate pre-shows where I'm trapped in a room watching a safety video trying to pretend to be something else :(.

Agree on the pre-shows as that will get repetitive especially if it’s video which I hope not.

POTC and HM (to a lesser extent) where we’re kind of a fly on the wall going through these immersive environments are great and Ultra repetitive but they also have the benefit of not being based on any IP. Not sure how this approach would work for Star Wars where we have come to expect epic battles etc.. I’m not sure if it was your or someone else who posted earlier about wanting to just kind of tour the star destroyer but that wouldn’t work IMO. What are we going to do? Eavesdrop on Hux’s and Kylos conversation and just go around seeing droids and Stormtroopers as they go about their day to day? Their wouldn’t really be a point for them to give us a passive Star Wars attraction. It’s not the right IP for that.

I will say though that I do not find Indy very repetitive. It’s the kind of thing I go on when I’m with family and friends that don’t go Disneyland often. Highly Impressive but not very repetitive or very fun.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Depends on the age of Star Wars fans. I know fans who grew up with the prequels and love them over the OT. Others like the new stuff. There isn't one type of SW fan.

SWGalaxysEdge

This will make the Galaxy's Edge opening a bit more crowded...

"CELEBRATE Girl Scouts at the Disneyland Resort | Celebrations & Field Trips"
CELEBRATE Girl Scouts is an exclusive experience, only available to Girl Scouts, taking place at the Disneyland® Resort in Anaheim, CA. These Disney Youth Education Series Programs will be available to individual Scouts or Troops of all sizes and take place in the information-rich setting of either Disneyland® Park or Disney California Adventure® Park. On select dates in April, May, and June of 2019. $50 per person.

Dates include June 1, 2, 8, 9, 22, 23, 29, 30

Professortango1

We call these peopel 'morons'

Nostalgia plays a huge part with how films resonate with you. The kids I teach LOVE SW, yet only about half have seen Empire or RotJ. It doesn't make them less of a SW fan.

Heck, I love Temple of Doom and can't stand Last Crusade. I know that's not the popular opinion of the Indy franchise, but it's how these films struck me. I still went to Disneyland wearing a brown leather jacket and fedora in the summer throughout the 90s. Still a huge fan, just hold different opinions on the films and their value to me.

TROR

Nostalgia plays a huge part with how films resonate with you. The kids I teach LOVE SW, yet only about half have seen Empire or RotJ. It doesn't make them less of a SW fan.

Heck, I love Temple of Doom and can't stand Last Crusade. I know that's not the popular opinion of the Indy franchise, but it's how these films struck me. I still went to Disneyland wearing a brown leather jacket and fedora in the summer throughout the 90s. Still a huge fan, just hold different opinions on the films and their value to me.
The problem I have with Star Wars fans who love the prequels is they refuse to admit it’s a nostalgia bias and try to sell the idea the prequels are actually good even when they very much are trash.

Also Temple of Doom is the best Indiana Jones movie (also just flat out the best movie)

George Lucas on a Bench

The SW prequels, like the originals, are Saturday matinee popcorn space movies for young people.

The Indiana Jones trilogy is similar to the Back to the Future trilogy in that while each one features the same basic elements and characters that you're there to see, each one feels totally different. It's like they rebooted it each time with the same character and even that character changes a bit. Unlike BTTF however, the IJ trilogy are equally great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom