News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Phroobar

Who's Matt?
Matt the radar technician of course. Keep up!

giphy-facebook-s-1071299.jpeg

SuddenStorm

Kylo Ren? Reminds me of the guys in high school.

Kylo's biggest issue isn't that he's a bit annoying- it's that he's had zero character development in two films.

The Force Awakens- he feels the call to the light, is struggling with finding his place in the dark side. He kills Han Solo, cementing himself as a villain and securing his place in the Dark Side.

The Last Jedi- He's back to being insecure and questioning his place- then kills Snoke, securing his place in the Dark Side, just this time, he has a bit more power inside the First Order.

Disney has tried to write a nuanced and interesting villain that isn't just a brute force killer like Vader was, which in my opinion, was an excellent idea. It even worked in the Force Awakens. The Last Jedi just needed to execute a bit better by showing him at peak "bad form", with episode 9 portraying a downward slope that eventually leads to his redemption.

mickEblu

Kylo's biggest issue isn't that he's a bit annoying- it's that he's had zero character development in two films.

The Force Awakens- he feels the call to the light, is struggling with finding his place in the dark side. He kills Han Solo, cementing himself as a villain and securing his place in the Dark Side.

The Last Jedi- He's back to being insecure and questioning his place- then kills Snoke, securing his place in the Dark Side, just this time, he has a bit more power inside the First Order.

Disney has tried to write a nuanced and interesting villain that isn't just a brute force killer like Vader was, which in my opinion, was an excellent idea. It even worked in the Force Awakens. The Last Jedi just needed to execute a bit better by showing him at peak "bad form", with episode 9 portraying a downward slope that eventually leads to his redemption.

Exactly. This is why I said he has to go bat $hit crazy bad in episode 9. That or they introduce a new villain and simultaneously make it look like Ren is going full on evil only to go good at the end.

Last edited:

Incomudro

The director of The Last Jedi deliberately dropped every ball J.J. Abrams lobbed to him.

TROR

These contradict one another

SuddenStorm

These contradict one another

Alright- is his character arc any different in The Last Jedi than The Force Awakens? Is he in a different place as a character at the end of The Last Jedi than he was at the beginning of the Force Awakens?

He has a bit more power now- but that's not character development. At the beginning of the Force Awakens- the first scene- he's depicted as a ruthless, evil villain reminiscent of Darth Vader. Two films later, he's at the same point- just now he's the one in charge.

Compare that to Anakin in the heavily derided prequel trilogy, or Luke in the original trilogy.

Incomudro

Why do you think? Just to have his own stamp/ signature on it? Or does he really think he was doing what was best for the story?

I don't know really...
But yes, I think that he thought he was putting his own stamp on it.
Really terrible.
I didn't hate it while I watched it (I still like some of it) because I'm not a tremendous Star Wars fan.
I was drawn in because my sons like it.
But, after the smoke cleared and I put it all together - what a mess that director made.

SuddenStorm

Why do you think? Just to have his own stamp/ signature on it? Or does he really think he was doing what was best for the story?

He's said his intention was to "subvert expectations". But in doing so- he created a film that's disjointed, overly long, and doesn't really progress the universe or story in any meaningful way. The various subplots all do nothing to progress the story arc for each of the main characters- Finn, Rey, and Ren.

The film has also divided and fragmented the fan community- with very vocal critics and very vocal supporters. The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is abysmally low, and it's merchandise sales are the worst of the Disney era.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I think it was to try and put his own stamp on it.

I honestly think that the trilogy should have had the same writer/director (or at least the same writer) for all three. The main thing I blame Kennedy for was not keeping Abrams on for at least writer for TLJ.

SuddenStorm

I think it was to try and put his own stamp on it.

I honestly think that the trilogy should have had the same writer/director (or at least the same writer) for all three. The main thing I blame Kennedy for was not keeping Abrams on for at least writer for TLJ.

At the very least, it needed an overarching story with the major points each film needed to hit. Give each director some freedom- they just have to make sure each movie got a certain point across and addressed certain points.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Started reading the Attractions Magazine thing and then bailed suddenly when I realized it was getting very scene-by-scene breakdown. My assumption is it must be pretty complete if so many specifics are leaking out (probably from CM's).

I've reached the personal threshold on how much I want to see, but glad the Shanghai Pirates analogy is holding. The screens DO mostly work. Just not when human characters stand still and deliver monologue *Gringott's*

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At the very least, it needed an overarching story with the major points each film needed to hit. Give each director some freedom- they just have to make sure each movie got a certain point across and addressed certain points.

This is why I've always said Marvel has done it better. Say what you will about the MCU, but Feige has made sure that each story leads into the next. Lucas really needs a Feige type person as the Head of Creativity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom