News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SuddenStorm

mickEblu

I don't think the problem was that there was to much Star Wars- the problem was the lack of vision and production problems that have plagued Lucasfilm during the Disney era.

Marvel is somehow able to put out multiple quality film a year- Lucasfilm struggles to keep a director throughout the entire production of the film.

I can’t comment on Marvel because I’m not a big fan but I think the problem with Star Wars is both production/ vision and over saturation. 4 Star Wars movies in 2.5 years is way too much.

Old Mouseketeer

Lol. He sure as hell Better

I don't directly blame Iger for the HM planter. I blame Fantasmic, Indy, and SW:GE. Removing the planter would have come from Industrial Engineering. They're the folks who have to calculate how many people you can safely cram into the available square footage. They have hard numbers from opening Star Tours, Indy, and RSR. For good or ill, Disney has put SW:GE at the back of Frontierland. They have no choice but to make sure the walkways are safe to handle the crowds, and I want them to err on the side of caution. In a couple of instances, I don't think they have gone far enough.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I don't directly blame Iger for the HM planter. I blame Fantasmic, Indy, and SW:GE. Removing the planter would have come from Industrial Engineering. They're the folks who have to calculate how many people you can safely cram into the available square footage. They have hard numbers from opening Star Tours, Indy, and RSR. For good or ill, Disney has put SW:GE at the back of Frontierland. They have no choice but to make sure the walkways are safe to handle the crowds, and I want them to err on the side of caution. In a couple of instances, I don't think they have gone far enough.

In this case I was joking but I blame him for a lot of other stuff. And if we want to get technical we can indirectly blame him for removing the HM planter.

Where do you think they haven’t gone far enough?

Old Mouseketeer

In this case I was joking but I blame him for a lot of other stuff. And if we want to get technical we can indirectly blame him for removing the HM planter.

Where do you think they haven’t gone far enough?

They should have shaved off a corner of the Adventureland store opposite the Tiki Room exit years ago, and there's a bottleneck on the new Big Thunder Trail between the rock overhang and a tree on the BTMRR side that should have been widened. They did some smart things in Adventureland and the new BT Trail, but it only takes one bottleneck to choke everything. I'm hoping that they are eliminating the steps from the Tiki Room exit and channeling the exit path down the ramp through Tropical Hideaway.

Look, I hate losing some of the charm on these walkways--but they have to do what's safe. They made bad choices with Indy, Autopia, and Rocket Rods. Add SW:GE to the mix and you're seeing some upheaval in the walkways. Basically, Indy, Fan! and SW:GE don't mix. Something's got to give, and it's going to be history and charm.

mickEblu

They should have shaved off a corner of the Adventureland store opposite the Tiki Room exit years ago, and there's a bottleneck on the new Big Thunder Trail between the rock overhang and a tree on the BTMRR side that should have been widened. They did some smart things in Adventureland and the new BT Trail, but it only takes one bottleneck to choke everything. I'm hoping that they are eliminating the steps from the Tiki Room exit and channeling the exit path down the ramp through Tropical Hideaway.

Look, I hate losing some of the charm on these walkways--but they have to do what's safe. They made bad choices with Indy, Autopia, and Rocket Rods. Add SW:GE to the mix and you're seeing some upheaval in the walkways. Basically, Indy, Fan! and SW:GE don't mix. Something's got to give, and it's going to be history and charm.

Agree on the Adventureland store (if possible) and why they made that path with the overhang rocks off Big Thunder Trail So barrow is beyond me, considering it was purpose built for SWL.

What are the bad choices with Rocket Rods and Autopia In regards to congestion in the walkways?

Old Mouseketeer

Agree on the Adventureland store (if possible) and why they made that path with the overhang rocks off Big Thunder Trail So barrow is beyond me, considering it was purpose built for SWL.

What are the bad choices with Rocket Rods and Autopia In regards to congestion in the walkways?

Autopia took half the walkway going back to the train station and restrooms. Until they thinned out the undergrowth, you couldn't even tell that the landmark multi-trunk palm tree was one tree and not 19 or 20 (I forget the exact number from 1967).

Rocket Rods underground queue and Tomorrowland Terrace expansion choked a significant amount of walkway on all three sides of TT dining area. And I neglected to mention the Capt. Eo Theater. Nuke it!!! Destroy it with extreme prejudice! It's an abomination. Wipe it from the face of the earth. It destroyed a light and airy futuristic complex and created dark caves full of bottlenecks. The Space Mountain exit is one of the worst areas of the park.

nevol

I imagine that THEY imagine (probably because operationally they'll control it) that guests will be guided into the land through one entrance and out the other, or in through both, with one queue coming from Frontierland and the other fantasyland, and that the only traffic freely flowing between the two entrances will be people passing from fantasyland to frontierland and vice versa the old fashioned way. They seem not to expect the traffic to be on that passby between the two entrances and instead to go into the land.

nevol

Rocket Rods underground queue and Tomorrowland Terrace expansion choked a significant amount of walkway on all three sides of TT dining area. And I neglected to mention the Capt. Eo Theater. Nuke it!!! Destroy it with extreme prejudice! It's an abomination. Wipe it from the face of the earth. It destroyed a light and airy futuristic complex and created dark caves full of bottlenecks. The Space Mountain exit is one of the worst areas of the park.

Kind of crazy that they tacked a theater on the front of an E-ticket mountain/show building. Now you have to walk through a cheesy retro pizza parlor to go to outer space, and out through a retro 80s mall with smelly bathrooms to get back from space.

Professortango1

I don't think the problem was that there was to much Star Wars- the problem was the lack of vision and production problems that have plagued Lucasfilm during the Disney era.

Marvel is somehow able to put out multiple quality film a year- Lucasfilm struggles to keep a director throughout the entire production of the film.

Marvel has different stories with different characters. Star Wars films have always been about the same story. Even Rogue One and Solo were about the same story. All of the films tie back to the original trilogy. Either explaining elements we've already seen or furthering the adventures and results of the characters. I think people are tired of seeing the same story explained 100 different ways and having everything in Star Wars revolve around Skywalker/Solo.

With Marvel, Black Panther has nothing to do with Ant Man. Spiderman has nothing to do with Thor. The stories all exist in the same universe, but are varied enough to keep it interesting.

Phroobar

Marvel has different stories with different characters. Star Wars films have always been about the same story. Even Rogue One and Solo were about the same story. All of the films tie back to the original trilogy. Either explaining elements we've already seen or furthering the adventures and results of the characters. I think people are tired of seeing the same story explained 100 different ways and having everything in Star Wars revolve around Skywalker/Solo.

With Marvel, Black Panther has nothing to do with Ant Man. Spiderman has nothing to do with Thor. The stories all exist in the same universe, but are varied enough to keep it interesting.
That is why I like the idea of the anthology star wars movies. It's their opportunity to give us something new and not original trilogy based. I hope they will make that movie someday. Going by the SW comic books there are a lot of stories that could be told if Disney had the guts.

Phroobar

Even the Marvel movies started out with the same plot for each character. The character evolved after that. The Marvel Netflix shows all have the same plot during the first season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom