News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

nevol

When star wars crushes disneyland, they have a very effective solution at their disposal; end/raise the price of/severely limit APs. I know we will get our first wave of change to that program next summer, but when that isn't enough and people are dying to go to disneyland and then not enjoying themselves because they are first time visitors spending half of their days trying to get into galaxy's edge, never to return again, they will have to restrict access once again. Replace half the people in the park paying a lower gate average with people paying an average of $120 per day.

SuddenStorm

When star wars crushes disneyland, they have a very effective solution at their disposal; end/raise the price of/severely limit APs. I know we will get our first wave of change to that program next summer, but when that isn't enough and people are dying to go to disneyland and then not enjoying themselves because they are first time visitors spending half of their days trying to get into galaxy's edge, never to return again, they will have to restrict access once again. Replace half the people in the park paying a lower gate average with people paying an average of $120 per day.

Alienating a very profitable portion of the fanbase is a poor long term solution. With all the app events and merchandise, Disney would be foolish to change the program in a way that makes long term AP holders bitter and mad.

Especially since the draw of Galaxy's edge with subside significantly after a couple years.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Alienating a very profitable portion of the fanbase is a poor long term solution. With all the app events and merchandise, Disney would be foolish to change the program in a way that makes long term AP holders bitter and mad.

Especially since the draw of Galaxy's edge with subside significantly after a couple years.

Isn't everyone in the fandom claiming that it would be better without APs anyways? So I don't see how changing the AP program so less AP renew would be bad from a fandom perspective.

SuddenStorm

Isn't everyone in the fandom claiming that it would be better without APs anyways? So I don't see how changing the AP program so less AP renew would be bad from a fandom perspective.

I feel like the fandom discussing the ap program and it's impact on crowds and potential solutions is like discussing car repair without working as a mechanic.

Our knowledge is superficial at best.

HauntedMansionFLA

RIP DLR AP holders 😭😢😓😥😰😰

Phroobar

I challenge you to find one regular poster on the DL board who actually wants that built in CA 😉
giphy.gif

mickEblu

Yes, it’s a charming park that’s going to be over run by the crowds and will start to lose it’s luster.

😩 true

Well I’ll always have my memories. 64 years of charm was a good run. Anyway I was just joking and looking forward to visiting WDW one day... just to cross it off my list. Then I’ll be happy to go back the most charming stateside Disney park, even if it’s less charming post SWL.

SuddenStorm

😩 true

Well I’ll always have my memories. 64 years of charm was a good run.

I've come to have a similar mindset regarding Star Wars Land. I don't doubt the quality of the land- just its placement.

If we give Disneyland different eras like Walt Disney Animation has (not sure if this has officially been done)- 1955-1969 could be viewed as the Golden Age, 1970-1985 would be the Silver Age, 1986-1995 would be the Renaissance, 1996-2003 would be the dark age, with 2004-2016 being the Revival. Each era has had a certain feel- a certain charm about it that has managed to change and evolve with each generation. Galaxy's Edge doesn't seem like it approaches fantasy, America, or charm the way Disneyland attractions usually do.

Very curious to see what the park is like 20 years down the road- I just fear that as the Imagineers continue to lose sight of why Disneyland has the following it has, we may continue to see additions that the fanatics don't approve of.

Or, perhaps my fears are unfounded and I've been spending far to much time browsing the Micechat forums. Who knows.

mickEblu

I've come to have a similar mindset regarding Star Wars Land. I don't doubt the quality of the land- just its placement.

If we give Disneyland different eras like Walt Disney Animation has (not sure if this has officially been done)- 1955-1969 could be viewed as the Golden Age, 1970-1985 would be the Silver Age, 1986-1995 would be the Renaissance, 1996-2003 would be the dark age, with 2004-2016 being the Revival. Each era has had a certain feel- a certain charm about it that has managed to change and evolve with each generation. Galaxy's Edge doesn't seem like it approaches fantasy, America, or charm the way Disneyland attractions usually do.

Very curious to see what the park is like 20 years down the road- I just fear that as the Imagineers continue to lose sight of why Disneyland has the following it has, we may continue to see additions that the fanatics don't approve of.

Or, perhaps my fears are unfounded and I've been spending far to much time browsing the Micechat forums. Who knows.

That’s a really good breakdown. I think we definitely have cause for concern but also think we become a little too fixated on certain things that don’t necessarily always have that big of an impact when we re actually at the park. It’s a little different analyzing the heck out of a photo or getting caught up in a discussion that spiraled out of control.

For example, I didn’t even notice when they ripped out one of the planters recently in FL near Pinocchio until I read about it a few weeks afterward. Of course on its own it’s not a big deal but when it’s happening all over the park it becomes a cause for concern. Especially when you start talking about major atmosphere makers like the Adventureland Frontierland waterway and things of that nature.

I think we are at the beginning or maybe middle of a new dark age at the parks. But not the typical “dark age” as there is investment at the parks (and some stuff to be excited about even though every positive addition seems to come with a negative outcome or two) but they have definitely drifted away from their core philosophies. I can’t help but think they ll snap out of it in 10 years when the right leader comes along and he/ she hopefully gets them to get back to their roots.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Disneyland is back in the 1996-2004 mindset of Pressler. It took the BTMRR crash and the 50th to pull them out of the slump. Now they are under unremarkable leadership again but with record crowds. This has been going on since about 2012. They are afloat in a mass of their success without a captain. Some day those crowds will figure out that something is wrong in the Tragic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom