News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

flynnibus

Premium Member
I manage, design, and build software products for a Fortune 100 company that sells globally. I know which product I'd feel more comfortable designing for a 5+ year lifecycle in the hands of the public. I know the differences in the technologies and what baggage comes along with each. Disney is also a customer :)

I know what I'd pick.. but we'll see how far Disney wants to go with the concepts. It certainly seems like so far they are going full out.

nevol

One of you seems like a software engineer/computer scientist, and the other, a casual end user. This isn't a jab at you Disney Irish Bruh; rather a compliment to both. An iphone with a visual interface and the ability to run a near-infinite number of apps and functions has a set of functionality that a faceless MB doesn't have, and vice versa. Personally, when I'm in the parks, I loath looking at my phone. I think the parks themselves are the app interface, the weinies and the signage all do the talking for you. I hate having to look up wait times etc. But a screen and a powerful operating system that can support tons of gps-enabled goodies, games, leverage the use of your camera, what have you, is super powerful. Magic Bands are insulated from progress and use RFID. And there seem to be things we don't understand about RFID /Magic Bands that @flynnibus does. However, with a depth of knowledge about hardware we don't share, it just feels like you could make the same technical arguments in favor of any position you have and could just as easily write a novel in favor of smartphones. In the end, they both stink, one because I don't want to look at my phone and for it to die, and the other because it would be cool to have a star wars themed device that works within the land, but without a visual interface, it would function as a one-way street, directing stimuli toward you "magically" and limiting your ability to use tools in response. Maybe that's a good thing, though? If we aren't engaging our phones but instead the built environment? Would be amazing, and keep us present rather than playing iphone games with star wars themes, but would require disney to really follow through with a gamified, engaging, immersive environment. I digress.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One of you seems like a software engineer/computer scientist, and the other, a casual end user. This isn't a jab at you Disney Irish Bruh; rather a compliment to both. An iphone with a visual interface and the ability to run a near-infinite number of apps and functions has a set of functionality that a faceless MB doesn't have, and vice versa. Personally, when I'm in the parks, I loath looking at my phone. I think the parks themselves are the app interface, the weinies and the signage all do the talking for you. I hate having to look up wait times etc. But a screen and a powerful operating system that can support tons of gps-enabled goodies, games, leverage the use of your camera, what have you, is super powerful. Magic Bands are insulated from progress and use RFID. And there seem to be things we don't understand about RFID /Magic Bands that @flynnibus does. However, with a depth of knowledge about hardware we don't share, it just feels like you could make the same technical arguments in favor of any position you have and could just as easily write a novel in favor of smartphones. In the end, they both stink, one because I don't want to look at my phone and for it to die, and the other because it would be cool to have a star wars themed device that works within the land, but without a visual interface, it would function as a one-way street, directing stimuli toward you "magically" and limiting your ability to use tools in response. Maybe that's a good thing, though? If we aren't engaging our phones but instead the built environment? Would be amazing, and keep us present rather than playing iphone games with star wars themes, but would require disney to really follow through with a gamified, engaging, immersive environment. I digress.

Actually I'm more than some casual end user. I actually have a similar background as Flynn, I believe, we just come from different schools of thought.
I wouldn't be surprised if we've worked for some of the same companies.

Phroobar

So Disney sees guests as either this with magic bands:
us__en_us__ibm100__optimizing_food_supply__cows__620x350.jpg

or this with smart phones.
4479140_orig.jpg

Why do we need theming either way?

nevol

So Disney sees guests as either this with magic bands:
us__en_us__ibm100__optimizing_food_supply__cows__620x350.jpg

or this with smart phones.
4479140_orig.jpg

Why do we need theming either way?
Welcome to Mickey and Friends. Now, download the disneyland app and purchase your tickets, because otherwise, once you get through this 45 minute security check, you will need to ride an unremarkable tram past unremarkable backstage fencing to an unremarkable downtown disney, where you will then need to stand in the sun for 45 minutes waiting to purchase tickets while people in front of you as CMs ridiculous questions that could have been answered by an extra cast member working the line if disney bothered to hire one. Isn't this magical? Oh, and I know the entrances to our parks are not that obvious. Make sure you don't walk straight out to harbor and have to start all over.

Phroobar

Welcome to Mickey and Friends. Now, download the disneyland app and purchase your tickets, because otherwise, once you get through this 45 minute security check, you will need to ride an unremarkable tram past unremarkable backstage fencing to an unremarkable downtown disney, where you will then need to stand in the sun for 45 minutes waiting to purchase tickets while people in front of you as CMs ridiculous questions that could have been answered by an extra cast member working the line if disney bothered to hire one. Isn't this magical? Oh, and I know the entrances to our parks are not that obvious. Make sure you don't walk straight out to harbor and have to start all over.
It's amazing how even at gas stations people can't figure out how to pay. Stick you card in and choose your grade and pump. Don't stand there looking at the pump like it's an alien.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That was an awful movie. I'd be surprised if we didn't get a pop show at DCA for Halloween (ala High School Musical).
I would think it's not the easiest job in the world to get, being a writer for the Disney channel. It floors me that they don't come up with actual good shows/movies. I've seen them all too. And 95% of them are garbage.

So... you two watch the Disney Channel movies...

That explains a lot...

nevol

And you don’t? Can you even call yourself a Disney fan if you dont watch Cadet Kelly at least once a month?
:))) saying you can't be a disney fan without watching the disney channel is like saying you can't be a disney fan without going to Disney Quest. There is nothing disney about it. It was the tonal foreshadowing for DCA 1.0, DHSP, Hong Kong Disneyland, Buzz Lightyear and Pooh, etc etc etc etc etc. Welcome to the end of an era.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom