News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

bshah365

Transformers has a "controlled descent" when the vehicle has to reach the bottom floor to unload. I can slightly feel the feeling in my stomach when it happens but I definitely hope Battle Escape is a bit more dramatic than that. How cool would it be to have the floor beneath you "give out" moments before you get mauled by the first order.. vehicle drops and you've escaped..... just a random thought/idea...

180º

Transformers has a "controlled descent" when the vehicle has to reach the bottom floor to unload. I can slightly feel the feeling in my stomach when it happens but I definitely hope Battle Escape is a bit more dramatic than that. How cool would it be to have the floor beneath you "give out" moments before you get mauled by the first order.. vehicle drops and you've escaped..... just a random thought/idea...
My thoughts exactly! Flight of Passage has some really nice mild thrills from its rising and falling motion base. I hope we get something like that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

terr_ride.gif

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is infinitely preferable to a video that makes you feel like you're falling.

You misunderstand my post. This is the actual video they will be using to make you feel like you're falling. Now of course they'll use CGI to take out the background images and display space and Bantuu. ;):p:cool:

BrianLo

Original Poster
A lot of rock work scaffolding is coming down. The final really big spire that gives the illusion of a continuous range between the two ride show buildings is starting to take shape.

DlLBulFV4AAvQf4.jpg

^I don't really understand where this photo was taken from, but it's a more complete view of how many spires are in a near final state.

TP2000

A lot of rock work scaffolding is coming down. The final really big spire that gives the illusion of a continuous range between the two ride show buildings is starting to take shape.

View attachment 306124

^I don't really understand where this photo was taken from, but it's a more complete view of how many spires are in a near final state.

That appears to be taken from northeast of Toontown, and it seems to be from a back of house area. A CM may have taken that?

The front facing rockwork really is finishing up fast. But in the last few weeks I've noticed they've added more spires on the backside of the buildings too, so they'll be doing more rockwork through the fall. I imagine these additional spries will give the rockwork depth, especially when you enter the land from the southern portals off the Big Thunder Trail, or look northeast across the land from the Critter Country entry portal area.

From the fantastic westcoaster.net with my red arrows added to the five recently installed spires on the backside of the Millenium Falcon building. https://www.westcoaster.net/home/2018/8/15/disneyland-resort-update-pushing-parking-progress

InkedSpires2_LI.jpg

Last edited:

shortstop

View attachment 306124

I think that photo was likely taken from the TDA building. Non-freeway fading side, of course.

nevol

View attachment 306124

sidewalk on Harbor boulevard, where it ascends over the freeway.

SuddenStorm

According to Jim Hill's latest podcast (just uploaded) (and I'm paraphrasing here) the Millenium Falcon ride will seat six per cockpit, with seven in operation at all times with a 3.5 minute ride time. He says they wanted initially to have real interaction- your actions directly impact what happens. Each person would have a job, and if you don't do your job, the Falcon crashes and the ride is over. Which is causing problems. In the initial version, If you know what you're doing, the re ridability of the original version was insane. But they've been doing play testing in Glendale, and what they're finding is that it can be more frustrating then entertaining. If you're paired with people who don't get it, and cause problems, it can lower the ride enjoyability. With an "on the ball team" the ride is amazing, but for the other 90%, it can have problems. At one point, there was talk of a dedicated Galaxy's Edge website where you could watch the tutorial and be prepped before you come to the park.

I'd be curious to learn more about how recent his information is- since this is an obvious issue that can be encountered in a team based simulator, especially with strangers in the cockpit. Wouldn't they have developed a solution long before they approved and built the ride? Obviously, a true simulator that allows for flight and combat- with virtually unlimited freedom for the players that can have new worlds programmed in sounds AMAZING. A next level Star Tours. But if they have to significantly limit the freedom of the pilots in order to make it a feasible ride concept, then that's also a problem since it can have a "I can't take the training wheels off" feel which can be equally frustrating.

If his information is as recent as he made it sound, and accurate, then it further solidifies my beliefs that this generation of Imagineering is inept and lacks the both the creative vision and beautiful execution we've seen with previous generations of Imagineering. TP2000's posts a little bit ago about the Marvel Land issues line up with these latest Jim Hill rumors.

britain

I wouldn’t call it a lack of creativity or poor execution. More like reach exceeds grasp. And history shows older generations of Imagineers have always wanted to do things that the general public can’t quite conform to.

TROR

According to Jim Hill's latest podcast (just uploaded) (and I'm paraphrasing here) the Millenium Falcon ride will seat six per cockpit, with seven in operation at all times with a 3.5 minute ride time. He says they wanted initially to have real interaction- your actions directly impact what happens. Each person would have a job, and if you don't do your job, the Falcon crashes and the ride is over. Which is causing problems. In the initial version, If you know what you're doing, the re ridability of the original version was insane. But they've been doing play testing in Glendale, and what they're finding is that it can be more frustrating then entertaining. If you're paired with people who don't get it, and cause problems, it can lower the ride enjoyability. With an "on the ball team" the ride is amazing, but for the other 90%, it can have problems. At one point, there was talk of a dedicated Galaxy's Edge website where you could watch the tutorial and be prepped before you come to the park.

I'd be curious to learn more about how recent his information is- since this is an obvious issue that can be encountered in a team based simulator, especially with strangers in the cockpit. Wouldn't they have developed a solution long before they approved and built the ride? Obviously, a true simulator that allows for flight and combat- with virtually unlimited freedom for the players that can have new worlds programmed in sounds AMAZING. A next level Star Tours. But if they have to significantly limit the freedom of the pilots in order to make it a feasible ride concept, then that's also a problem since it can have a "I can't take the training wheels off" feel which can be equally frustrating.

If his information is as recent as he made it sound, and accurate, then it further solidifies my beliefs that this generation of Imagineering is inept and lacks the both the creative vision and beautiful execution we've seen with previous generations of Imagineering. TP2000's posts a little bit ago about the Marvel Land issues line up with these latest Jim Hill rumors.
Hard to believe the Imagineers couldn't grasp such a simple concept. I wrote about my concerns regarding an attraction that relies on the actions of complete strangest well over a year ago. It's like riding Autopia but the driver is a kid you don't know. You're just annoyed every time they hit the rail in the center. The fact they ever even had a version where you would wait in line for three hours only to have the idiot kid who's been kicking you all that time crash the Falcon as soon as your ride starts is awful. I trust everything will be righted when the land is open, but pretty sad if they really couldn't see such a glaring flaw like this. Nobody wants to go to a theme park just to play a video game and lose instantly.

Incomudro

Hard to believe the Imagineers couldn't grasp such a simple concept. I wrote about my concerns regarding an attraction that relies on the actions of complete strangest well over a year ago. It's like riding Autopia but the driver is a kid you don't know. You're just annoyed every time they hit the rail in the center. The fact they ever even had a version where you would wait in line for three hours only to have the idiot kid who's been kicking you all that time crash the Falcon as soon as your ride starts is awful. I trust everything will be righted when the land is open, but pretty sad if they really couldn't see such a glaring flaw like this. Nobody wants to go to a theme park just to play a video game and lose instantly.

Imagine waiting an hour and a half (not to mention years in anticipation) to get on a ride that some bratty kid promptly ruins? :banghead:
There's no way that Disney could bring such a ride to production.
The Falcon has to fly for the entire duration despite any bad inputs from anyone in the cockpit.

britain

I think it’s more likely that they always knew there would be this type of a ‘flaw’ so to speak. Start with the bar at the very top in terms of interactivity, then dial it down to the appropriate level. Jim Hill is probably just trying to turn this into a bigger story than it really is.

Phroobar

So how come the simulator can't adjust to the pilots? A lot of games adjust for the user's capabilities. If they keep crashing and not pushing buttons at the proper time, it should start doing it for them until all functions are completely automated. They can still crash at the end based on how well they did (or a random variable) but only after giving the guests the full show.

George Lucas on a Bench

Sounds like bs. There's no way they ever intended to require people to push buttons or whatever and risk crashing the ship. It's like Mission: Space where if you don't push the button, whatever was supposed to happen happens anyway. I can see not pushing a button altering the ride slightly, but crashing? What if you're stuck with people who don't speak English?

britain

Sounds like bs. There's no way they ever intended to require people to push buttons or whatever and risk crashing the ship. It's like Mission: Space where if you don't push the button, whatever was supposed to happen happens anyway. I can see not pushing a button altering the ride slightly, but crashing? What if you're stuck with people who don't speak English?

Exactly - I think the whole "You crashed early, ride over" thing is hyperbole. The pods are on a carousel. You CAN'T exit before the rotation is complete (not counting an emergency exit ). Jim is simply adding drama to a "Totally expected test and adjust period... we'll have to program it to be about as interactive as an Autopia car" level story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom