News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Ismael Flores

This reply is more WDW based. I was just there after a long absence and was literally gobsmacked by how beautiful and pristine Main Street was- it looked brand spanking new. I think Main Street can always be tweaked here and there, but I think it should stay crisp and clean. With that said, I found the some areas across property that I think could use not only more weathering, but the more layered history look that is the newer trend. Liberty Square I think could use a makeover (though honestly I sort of wish they'd just turn the whole area into Sleepy Hollow.) Most of all, it's the World Showcase pavilions that I feel need some of that faux history given to them. Now that I've been to some of the real countries, I find that overly clean and bright approach just too fake looking. Norway and Morocco (the two later pavilions) fare better, but I think it was the UK in particular that I felt suffered from appearing too trapped in a specific time and place.

I'm with you, having traveled all over the world and then seeing the world showcase areas in Epcot i feel really disappointed. They just seem out of place and fake. There seems to be no sense of reality or a feeling of being lived in. I think that is why i love DAK, the whole park is pristine just like a Disney park should be but the it also feels lived in and full of life. Certain areas at Disneyland give me the same feeling. Adventureland, new Orleans square, critter country and to a certain degree mainstreet give me the same feeling but the main section of frontierland and Tommorrowand feel static to me. The buildings in frontierland seem to perfect and lack stry due to the fact that they have little to no aged and lived in theming to them.

Phroobar

I just saw pictures of the outside Millennium Falcon being built in China. They had the forked nose section built. It will arrive at Disneyland in four months.

No Name

Guests also seem to love the Haunted Mansion. The whole premise was that every land is in its glorified prime. That's not purely Walt fighting the perception of amusement parks being dirty, that's an actual detail that contributes to the theme. Otherwise it wouldn't have been replicated in other parts of other parks. It's a detail, not a lack of detail. But if you think it's good, of course you're entitled to your opinion.

Disney always designs it to look fake and exaggerated too. I'm always impressed with how real and authentic Six Flags gets it to look!

BrianLo

Original Poster
Guests also seem to love the Haunted Mansion. The whole premise was that every land is in its glorified prime. That's not purely Walt fighting the perception of amusement parks being dirty, that's an actual detail that contributes to the theme. Otherwise it wouldn't have been replicated in other parts of other parks. It's a detail, not a lack of detail. But if you think it's good, of course you're entitled to your opinion.

Haunted Mansion’s pristine exterior is only unique to DL. Did you mean to say the opposite?

You are making a case against your argument.

No Name

Haunted Mansion’s pristine exterior is only unique to DL. Did you mean to say the opposite?

No I mean replicated in other parts of other newer parks, like Hollywood Blvd. It's "the Hollywood that never was and always will be," not a street in downtown LA or a struck hotel... wait what? So by "replicated" I mean Walt's idea of the land being in its prime was replicated, not the weathering. And of course I think there have been some not-best-decisions made, like as you mention, the HMs everywhere else. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

TP2000

You're convinced already that it will be great, which is great! I'm not going to be until I see it for myself. :bookworm:

I'm not convinced it will be great. I don't even know if it will be good. It may stink. The rides may be so contrived and so pretend-you-aren't-on-Earth ultra themed that they are confusing and frustrating. The blue milk may taste gross. The entertainment may be annoying. The CM's may take their "roles" so seriously they won't tell you where the bathrooms are or where the ATM is. The whole thing could just fall flat. We'll have to wait for 2019 to see.

But what I am convinced of, based on the images and information Disney has released, is that it will "fit" into Disneyland just fine. Just like singing chickens fit next to Davy Crockett canoes, and crooning tiki birds fit next to ancient temples, and a fake Swiss mountain fits next to a 1960's Mod salute to the children of the world. Star Wars has been in Disneyland for half its lifetime. Opening a lavish new Star Wars Land will fit into the park experience just fine. If anything, it should elevate the entire experience and make the place even more popular with paying audiences.

I have no idea if the finished product will be great, or good, or miserable. But I don't think it was a mistake to build a Star Wars Land in Disneyland due to thematic or aesthetic reasons.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm not convinced it will be great. I don't even know if it will be good. It may stink. The rides may be so contrived and so pretend-you-aren't-on-Earth ultra themed that they are confusing and frustrating. The blue milk may taste gross. The entertainment may be annoying. The CM's may take their "roles" so seriously they won't tell you where the bathrooms are or where the ATM is. The whole thing could just fall flat. We'll have to wait for 2019 to see.

But what I am convinced of, based on the images and information Disney has released, is that it will "fit" into Disneyland just fine. Just like singing chickens fit next to Davy Crockett canoes, and crooning tiki birds fit next to ancient temples, and a fake Swiss mountain fits next to a 1960's Mod salute to the children of the world. Star Wars has been in Disneyland for half its lifetime. Opening a lavish new Star Wars Land will fit into the park experience just fine. If anything, it should elevate the entire experience and make the place even more popular with paying audiences.

I have no idea if the finished product will be great, or good, or miserable. But I don't think it was a mistake to build a Star Wars Land in Disneyland due to thematic or aesthetic reasons.
Your response here gave the impression you had made up your mind ;)
Plus, it's going to be really, really cool! ;)
I find it unproductive to label things as a success or failure especially over a year before it even opens, so we are all waiting to see.

Though in the interim, I think some concerns are valid as this is an unprecedented undertaking for Disneyland, and a tonal shift in many ways. Nevertheless, if internet forums were around when the Matterhorn was being built, I'd wager there would be similar aesthetic concerns. Which is why i hope for the best.

Travel Junkie

Star Wars has been in Disneyland for half its lifetime.

For the hundredth time it's not the IP itself, the concern is over how it's being used But since you already made up your mind, you'll ignore anything that doesn't support your argument. We're veering off topic though.

I will say that with no large scale additions made to Disneyland in a while and the bones of the park being over 60 years old, any big change was bound to alter the park dynamic as themed design has evolved over the last 60 years and in particular the last 5-10 years.

180º

This is not quite true. Both Florida and Tokyo started out with the same well-kept look that Disneyland always had. It wasn’t until a decade or two later that the geometric gardens were ripped out in favor of overgrown foliage and the brick repainted to be weathered. @Djali999 could weigh in on this some more.

WDW
Haunted-Mansion-1960s.jpg

Tokyo
haunted_mansion_001.jpg

No Name

This is not quite true. Both Florida and Tokyo started out with the same well-kept look that Disneyland always had. It wasn’t until a decade or two later that the geometric gardens were ripped out in favor of overgrown foliage and the brick repainted to be weathered. @Djali999 could weigh in on this some more.

WDW
Haunted-Mansion-1960s.jpg

Tokyo
haunted_mansion_001.jpg
Well I assumed he meant now, as in now DL's is the only one that doesn't have weathering. If it doesn't happen sooner, when I become a resident I'll be sure to scrub it clean.

SSG

PHOTO - New mission on Star Tours gives a first look at Batuu, the planet to be featured in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge
38 minutes ago in "Star Wars Galaxy's Edge"
Forums Tweet Share Share
Gallery / 1 Photo
Planet of Batuu

Guests riding 'Star Tours - The Adventures Continue' are now getting a first look at the planet of Batuu - found in the outer rim of the Star Wars galaxy.

Planet of Batuu

According to Walt Disney Imagineering's Scott Trowbridge:

This remote outpost on the galaxy’s edge was once a busy crossroads along the old sub-lightspeed trade routes, but its prominence was bypassed by the rise of hyperspace travel. Now home to those who prefer to stay out of the mainstream, it has become a thriving port for smugglers, rogue traders and adventurers traveling between the frontier and uncharted space. It’s also a convenient safe haven for those intent on avoiding the expanding reach of the First Order. While Batuu may be new to us, it is clearly already familiar to many characters from the Star Wars saga as a stepping off point for epic adventures.

TROR

Just watched the new additions to Star Tours, and can I just say, it's like 1000x better? The randomization idea was awful when having numerous eras represented, but now it's all tied together in the same time makes it a lot more coherent and enjoyable. The little changes, such as changing the ISD to FOSD was a nice touch and I hope changes like that occur throughout the other scenes. It'd be so nice to have the entire ride set post-Return of the Jedi like it used to be instead of going through the prequel era. If they do that, though, I want a return of a new Starspeeder design that matches the aesthetic of the 3000 better because the 1000 is ugly and always has been. I'd also like them to take out Threepio and put in an updated design of an RX pilot but I know that won't happen either.

TROR

Batuu is a terrible name, honestly. It's fine for some insignificant planet in a Star Wars novel, but for the land at a Disney park it should've been something that sounds better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom