News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Mike S

The only two parks off the top of my head, hot on the trail, would be Tokyo Disneyland or Universal Studio's Japan. TDL seemed like it would try to keep pace, but plans softened. USJ is a nice little best-of potpourri and does have what sounds like two more imminent E-tickets in Nintendo. I doubt any park will pass it unless Comcast or OLC go crazy though. I don't see Disney itself plussing a park enough to catch up in the next 25 years, at least.

A Uni park inevitably may surpass Disneyland, but they build their parks E-ticket dense by comparison.
If what all the Uni insiders keep saying is accurate Uni is trying to outdo TDS with their third Orlando park. I’d really love to see anyone go for that lofty goal stateside.

BrianLo

Original Poster
If what all the Uni insiders keep saying is accurate Uni is trying to outdo TDS with their third Orlando park. I’d really love to see anyone go for that lofty goal stateside.

This is how the Uni rumour cycle over-inflates expectations. I just hope either company can approach TDS (across the board, not individual lands). Outdoing it is a pipe-dream. Outdoing the 'theme' is basically non-existent with the current direction of the industry.

IOA with the lessons acquired from Potter is a much more realistic expectation. I really like IOA, for reference.

D

Deleted member 107043

Here's some recent aerials from the Florida Project (Star Wars Land, not EPCOT).

Since I still haven't been able to find a teenage kid willing to fly a drone for us over Disneyland for 50 bucks and a large pizza, we'll have to rely on the fairly regular flyovers of the WDW version of this project. :rolleyes: All photos from the excellent Bioreconstruct and their Twitter feed. https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Interesting to see some of the first "out buildings" being constructed beyond the two big E Ticket warehouses. I assume this same structure is being built in Anaheim too.
DNvnYhJWAAE567O.jpg:large

Also interesting how closely the Star Wars buildings nestle in next to Muppets and the exotic and glamorous environs of "present day downtown Los Angeles" (watch your step over that meth addict in the gutter, folks!) as displayed on the new Grand Avenue at DHS. Yellow arrow points to the curved tunnel entrance from Grand Avenue/Muppets Courtyard.
DNvkSrgVAAAxtdO.jpg:large

Goodbye Los Angeles and Miss Piggy, hello Galaxy's Edge!
DNvpGdwWkAA4etw.jpg:large

Here's the Toy Story and Star Wars projects together. Interesting land use!
DNvbAg0UIAAZnIv.jpg:large

Looks like the entry portal from Grand Ave is going to be a tunnel. That's a surprise to me. I was expecting it to be just a gateway.

Mike S

This is how the Uni rumour cycle over-inflates expectations. I just hope either company can approach TDS (across the board, not individual lands). Outdoing it is a pipe-dream. Outdoing the 'theme' is basically non-existent with the current direction of the industry.

IOA with the lessons acquired from Potter is a much more realistic expectation. I really like IOA, for reference.
Well I still see that as reaching that level. I mean, Diagon Alley is amazing.

No Name

I worry for Universal. I can't see them thriving on three Islands of Adventures, and I'm not sure they're capable of creating anything different.

So is FOP the best attraction at all 4 Disney WDW parks now?
It's still the highest-rated in the US, I believe. I thought it was great, but not the best by any means.

The rock formations are starting to go up. Is construction on the WDW project closing the gap with DLR?
They're being built by different contractors, so some things are being done in different orders. I don't think it means much.

Professortango1

I think you’re in the minority in thinking Rogue One was bad.

Nah, many agree it's not a strong film. Some great moments, but the first half is a rushed jumbled mess. The 2nd half is better, but hollow. It just felt like fan service rather than a compelling story with interesting characters. It was a product to sell rather than a story waiting to be told.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

The rock formations are starting to go up. Is construction on the WDW project closing the gap with DLR?
I wouldn't say that...it just seems they jumped the gun on that aspect of construction.
Reminds me of when I was a kid skipping ahead in the LEGO building instructions just because that part looked cooler to build.

They haven't even completed the frame for the second half of the MF building. I'd say they're still far behind.

Rich T

I wouldn't say that...it just seems they jumped the gun on that aspect of construction.
Reminds me of when I was a kid skipping ahead in the LEGO building instructions just because that part looked cooler to build.

They haven't even completed the frame for the second half of the MF building. I'd say they're still far behind.
I wonder to what extent (if at all) Florida's weather forecasts factor into construction priorities for the Studios park.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I wonder to what extent (if at all) Florida's weather forecasts factor into construction priorities for the Studios park.
Lol. I thought that myself before both sites went into construction. Having lived in Florida for a bit, I always thought unpleasant weather would have slowed FL's production.

I remember seeing some updates where holes and trenches became flooded from a weekend storm. It probably doesn't slow things down as much as we think, but its got to be an inconvenience.

BrianLo

Original Poster

That aspect of the project seems to be keeping pace, but not exactly jumping ahead just yet. I've been intermittently tracking it on the DHS forum. I'd imagine rock work is always the limiting factor, so its pace is reassuring. Certainly no indication DHS cannot make 2019 unless DL has widely missed Spring 2019 (which I'd doubt).

SWL looks like it's still running well on pace! Currently about 3.5 months behind.

Next check points to keep an eye out for:
1. MF should go vertical the second last week of August.
2. Alcatraz should have the last vertical corner of the main rectangular show-building by the first week of October.

If either of those occur earlier it's a good sign!

Checking on the progress.

1. Was perfectly on time.
2. Is delayed, more on a 4-4.5 month timeframe.

Next time points I'm watching for is:
1. The topping out of MF's tallest peak. Due the final week of Nov/start of December if we're on that ~3.5 month pace still, versus slipped.
2. The three peaks over the show building roof should have received their full scaffolding around the third week of January.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom