News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

No Name

Interesting -- is this still speculation or did plans leak? If so, sounds like what you are explaining is basically the simulator carousel component of HP Forbidden Journey, eh?

If that's the case, they could make part of the queue look like the inside of the MF -- and when you get into the cockpit, the door closes behind you and you're off -- with no idea that you've left the rest of the ship behind! More like a clock, you tick to the next spot and the next cockpit locks into place. Seems like it would be very immersive, but incredibly low-capacity!!!

HP diagrams below for reference:
fj_busbar1.png

maxresdefault.jpg

@marni1971 and others described how it will work in the DHS Star Wars Land thread, back before construction really began. Of course there's no guarantee they're right, but I'd put good money on it, especially after seeing these recent photos.

Yeah, I think Forbidden Journey's carousel component is a good rough comparison. And I believe what you said about the queue going into the falcon itself, and only the cockpit being its own vehicle, is indeed how it will work. I would go back and look at Martin's posts if I weren't so busy.

My thought on the capacity that is, if each carousel makes one full rotation every X number of minutes, or if everyone unloads/loads at once (ala Mission Space) every X number of minutes, capacity is no different. The fact that there are four carousels, so basically four copies of the ride, should help lighten the load.

I'm not a huge fan of simulators but this ride is intriguing. Excited to see how it turns out.

mickEblu

Interesting -- is this still speculation or did plans leak? If so, sounds like what you are explaining is basically the simulator carousel component of HP Forbidden Journey, eh?

If that's the case, they could make part of the queue look like the inside of the MF -- and when you get into the cockpit, the door closes behind you and you're off -- with no idea that you've left the rest of the ship behind! More like a clock, you tick to the next spot and the next cockpit locks into place. Seems like it would be very immersive, but incredibly low-capacity!!!

HP diagrams below for reference:
fj_busbar1.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for sharing. So basically Star Tours simulators on a Carrousel? No kuka arm. Do we know what these ride vehicles are capable of? I had read that this attraction was going to be the the more thrilling of the two SWL attractions. I'm just trying to understand from a motion perspective, what will make this more thrilling then say Star Tours?

Old Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing. So basically Star Tours simulators on a Carrousel? No kuka arm. Do we know what these ride vehicles are capable of? I had read that this attraction was going to be the the more thrilling of the two SWL attractions. I'm just trying to understand from a motion perspective, what will make this more thrilling then say Star Tours?

Well, think about this for a moment (and this is purely inference on my part--no Bothans were involved). What if the individual Falcon cockpits are rotating around the carousel with their noses pointed into the inner carousel of screens, similar to HP. What if, like Indy, each cockpit is mounted on hydraulics on a chassis that moves sideways around the circular track, instead of down a circuitous ride track.

Now lets travel to Yesterland to the world of Horizons at Epcot. Remember the finale when you chose your final scene and you viewed your choice on a screen that moved with you. Take the interactive capability from the mid-'80s and transpose it to Disney's current seamless branching technology. There have been references to flying or piloting the Millennium Falcon. What if, like Mission:Space you had cockpit controls, but they actually did something? What if there were variables in your projected journey that you could have some input over. What if, like ST 2.0 there were random developments of some type that would make your ride experience less predictable?

I have no idea if any of this is what we're going to see in two years. But I suspect that WED/WDI is planning a Death Star against HP/Universal. I will be surprised if you simply board your cockpit and experience one set ride scenario with no variables or interactivity. Universal has the exclusive on the Kukla arm technology, but Disney has invested heavily on it's seamless branching software that can be used across many platforms. I don't think we've seen them use it to its fullest capability. YMMV.

The Mur

I can't remember where I read it but I too had heard that the "mission" could be different and that success was not guaranteed so that there would definitely be alternate paths through the story. If that is the case that would be great.

BrianLo

Original Poster

You don't need a Kuka arm to recreate the Potter Carousel scenes, the arms are put to way more use pulling away from the carousel then they are in it. Kuka would be a bit over-engineering since the vehicles never need to physically turn away from the Carousel on the Falcon attraction.

It's essentially the ultimate Star Tours (which perhaps makes Star Tours more redundant). More intimate, more seamless and way more control. Probably a bit more motion with a smaller ride vehicle too.

That said, it is absolutely nothing more or less than an ultimate simulator. In no way is it a hybrid. That's not an insult, but the control and intimacy (not you and 50 of your closest friends on a motion platform like many other pure simulators) should make it stand out a bit from the crowd.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting -- is this still speculation or did plans leak?

Not speculation.

Your queue description is very good.

Capacity is being handled by the amount of carousels.

britain

Not speculation.

Your queue description is very good.

Capacity is being handled by the amount of carousels.

The thing that interests me is that, going by the films, the MF is a big ship, but not vast. Han is able to run from the entrance ramp to the cockpit in a few seconds. Granted there are other rooms to explore, but the MF portion of the queue will simply have to be a fraction of the total queue for this attraction. So it makes me wonder about what the rest (likely the majority) of the queue will be like.

upload_2017-4-5_8-4-27.png

D

Deleted member 107043

I just can't imagine they are that far behind if physical props are arriving for placement in the river.

I was thinking the same thing. The cabin appears to be half done, the riverbed is being paved, tracks are being laid for the large watercraft, landscaping is being installed, and rock work is up and being painted. I can understand that there may be delays in ride operations, but I think it's very likely that TSI might be done by the time the season summer arrives.

JediMasterMatt

Since the topic of "What is the Falcon Experience" has surfaced again and has caused some confusion, let's try to make things as simple as possible by using analogies (so, those that scored high on their Verbal on their SATs - please enjoy).

Big Bird is to Star Wars Land/Star Wars Fans as the Hogwarts Express is to Diagon Alley/Potterheads.

The actual ride experience (the part in the RV) isn't the "big deal" with the big bird.

The BIG DEAL is how the how whole thing ties together. Guests will have the experience of going into a spaceport, walking through a hanger and actually going into the Falcon, walking through a part of it and then sitting down in one of those iconic 4 seats (ok, it's actually 6 on the RV) and taking flight. The RV is simply the rug that ties the room together (for the Dudes that abide).

The cool part is how seamless it should all be. MF should pull this off much better than the Hogwarts Express total package does.

The ride itself will be good; but, it's only a piece of the puzzle. It brings a bit more to the table than what you'd expect; but, don't go into it thinking the time spent in the RV will be the greatest ride ever. At the end of the day it's still just a motion simulator... just a very advanced and extremely detailed one.

The key phrase I've been telling everyone about the SW attractions is that MF is "exactly what you'd expect". Don't let your imaginations run wild with it (save that for Alcatraz). What you probably aren't going to be expecting is how close to the mark WDI is going to come to giving you the experience of taking a trip on that iconic ship. Giving people exactly what they expect/want is a great thing.

Disney Analyst

Since the topic of "What is the Falcon Experience" has surfaced again and has caused some confusion, let's try to make things as simple as possible by using analogies (so, those that scored high on their Verbal on their SATs - please enjoy).

Big Bird is to Star Wars Land/Star Wars Fans as the Hogwarts Express is to Diagon Alley/Potterheads.

The actual ride experience (the part in the RV) isn't the "big deal" with the big bird.

The BIG DEAL is how the how whole thing ties together. Guests will have the experience of going into a spaceport, walking through a hanger and actually going into the Falcon, walking through a part of it and then sitting down in one of those iconic 4 seats (ok, it's actually 6 on the RV) and taking flight. The RV is simply the rug that ties the room together (for the Dudes that abide).

The cool part is how seamless it should all be. MF should pull this off much better than the Hogwarts Express total package does.

The ride itself will be good; but, it's only a piece of the puzzle. It brings a bit more to the table than what you'd expect; but, don't go into it thinking the time spent in the RV will be the greatest ride ever. At the end of the day it's still just a motion simulator... just a very advanced and extremely detailed one.

The key phrase I've been telling everyone about the SW attractions is that MF is "exactly what you'd expect". Don't let your imaginations run wild with it (save that for Alcatraz). What you probably aren't going to be expecting is how close to the mark WDI is going to come to giving you the experience of taking a trip on that iconic ship. Giving people exactly what they expect/want is a great thing.

The greatest thing they could do is build interactivity into the attraction. I hate on Mission Space that it really doesn't matter if you press things or not, or if you press something for fun and nothing happens. Don't give us specific rolls, just let us play around, press buttons, move switches, and have things happen. That would be insane.

britain

Great to hear, but will the ride itself be at least as good as Star Tours? I consider that a great ride. That is expected to be replaced because Millennium Falcon is ostensibly better, but I'd hate to lose Star Tours for something that's not quite as good (terrific packaging notwithstanding).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom