News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

I still which they had just made that tunnel a bit wider and moved the Grand Canyon diorama to this part of the train tracks and just left the larger dinosaur section where it is now. The setting would have been much better and fit the frontierland theme and maybe new animals.
The old building demolished along with the eastern side of tomorrowland including pizza place and expanded tomorrowland with a new reworked look.
Removing the clutter from space mountainand the old COP building

I can't like this post enough. I love how at DLP their Grand Canyon Diorama is in Frontierland. It makes so much more sense.

mickEblu

Really? You think the songs from Cinderella are better than Beauty and The Beast, The Little Mermaid, or Frozen?

Better than Frozen for sure. Ok when you ask the question like that , BATB and Little Mermaid have better soundtracks but those older songs kind of take you somewhere in a way that's hard describe. Just to clarify, when I was conparinf the older songs / movies, I was comparing pretty much everything up til the late 90s to everything from 2008 to present day.

D

Deleted member 107043

Better than Frozen for sure. Ok when you ask the question like that , BATB and Little Mermaid have better soundtracks but those older songs kind of take you somewhere in a way that's hard describe. Just to clarify, when I was conparinf the older songs / movies, I was comparing pretty much everything up til the late 90s to everything from 2008 to present day.

Oh gotcha. I'm old, so I think of the late 90s Disney stuff as "new".

mickEblu

Oh gotcha. I'm old, so I think of the late 90s Disney stuff as "new".

Haha yeah I hear you and I also look at that era as newer. I just lumped in some of the 80s/ 90s stuff with the older Disneys Golden age stuff because I think Little Mermaid / BATB/ Aladdin/ Lion King had quality villains/ characters and great songs. When I think of the villains and complimentary characters in what some refer to as the second Disney renaissance (2008- present) I find those elements kind of lacking.

D

Deleted member 107043

Haha yeah I hear you and I also look at that era as newer. I just lumped in some of the 80s/ 90s stuff with the older Disneys Golden age stuff because I think Little Mermaid / BATB/ Aladdin/ Lion King had quality villains/ characters and great songs. When I think of the villains and complimentary characters in what some refer to as the second Disney renaissance (2008- present) I find those elements kind of lacking.

There was a looooong stretch though, from The Jungle Book (some would say even earlier) in 1967 to the reemergence of the Disney Animation studio that began with The Little Mermaid in 1989, where Disney animated films were basically poison at the box office. That's 22 years! In fact, there isn't a single animated feature during that time that has a notable reference at any of the parks that I can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

There was a looooong stretch though, from The Jungle Book (some would say even earlier) in 1967 to the reemergence of the Disney Animation studio that began with The Little Mermaid in 1989, where Disney animated films were basically poison at the box office. That's 22 years! In fact, there isn't a single animated feature during that time that has a notable reference at any of the parks that I can think of.

Yeah those were dark dark times. I think from the Jungle Book to Little Mermaid was pretty bad with a few exceptions here and there. Roger Rabbit being one of course. Even though it's not recongnized as one of the official Disney animated films. But the classic known as Home on the Range is?? Anyway Aristocats = ok. Robin Hood depresses me for some reason. The first Rescuers felt like a straight to tv Disney movie. Winnie the Pooh has its charm but not the greatest "film." The Fox and the hound = meh. Great mouse detective = double meh. I haven't seen the Black Cauldron in my adult life so I don't have any commentary but I haven't heard the greatest things.

TP2000

Borrowing this picture from MiceChat. This is a view you can pretty much only get from BTM of the new train tunnel going into Toontown station.
SWL-Nov-25-NE-5.jpg

What a funny juxtaposition of the fake Toontown hills up against the real San Gabriel Mountains.

And what a dramatic improvement over the old corrugated metal tube that was the old tunnel from Frontierland into the Toontown train station! I've been saying this for the past year, but the Star Wars project is bringing about massive and impressive changes to the eye candy and Imagineered environments beyond Star Wars Land for the Rivers of America, Frontierland, and the Disneyland Railroad.

For those who have forgotten, this video has the underwhelming tunnel entrance into Fantasyland the Disneyland Railroad featured for the last 40 years or so. The retro fun starts at the 4:00 mark of this video. Don't miss those fluorescent lights that Walt installed on the roof of the tunnel!

D

Deleted member 107043

I can appreciate the DLRR for its history and personal connection to Walt Disney, but wow, there's not much "show" in the attraction is there? It's mostly just a lot of trees and the unglamorous backsides of show buildings and glimpses at ugly backstage areas. Glad to see the ROA section improved, but now it's going to really stand out compared to most of the segments before and after.

Macro

I can appreciate the DLRR for its history and personal connection to Walt Disney, but wow, there's not much "show" in the attraction is there? It's mostly just a lot of trees and the unglamorous backsides of show buildings and glimpses at ugly backstage areas. Glad to see the ROA section improved, but now it's going to really stand out compared to most of the segments before and after.

For us fossils who remember back before New Orleans Square, the DLRR was quite an attraction. You could see a lot more from the train back then. It used to go along the edge of the desert section of the Mine Train and you could see the mine trains go by and watch the occasional geyser go off.

But then they started putting ride loading buildings inside the tracks and show buildings outside the tracks and parts of the DLRR became a series of tunnels. I always liked how they handled adding It's a Small World. That one added to the DLRR rather than subtracting from it.

Of course this was when people had lower expectations for a theme park than today's sophisticated lot. But to us it was quite a ride because you could see so much of what was going on in the park. Even then I still don't remember ever looking forward to the Grand Canyon diorama. I still like the dinosaurs. Didn't make any sense but they were a nice finish to the ride.

It looks like the new things they're adding along with Star Wars Land is a step up for the DLRR. It's nice to see them adding to it a little bit. It deserves some attention.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

For us fossils who remember back before New Orleans Square, the DLRR was quite an attraction. You could see a lot more from the train back then. It used to go along the edge of the desert section of the Mine Train and you could see the mine trains go by and watch the occasional geyser go off.

Thanks for sharing this. Never thought about how much the ride has changed since the beginning. Do you recall what the Adventureland segment was like in the park's early years? I've always wondered if the Jungle Cruise was visible from the train.

Earl Sweatpants

Yeah those were dark dark times. I think from the Jungle Book to Little Mermaid was pretty bad with a few exceptions here and there. Roger Rabbit being one of course. Even though it's not recongnized as one of the official Disney animated films. But the classic known as Home on the Range is?? Anyway Aristocats = ok. Robin Hood depresses me for some reason. The first Rescuers felt like a straight to tv Disney movie. Winnie the Pooh has its charm but not the greatest "film." The Fox and the hound = meh. Great mouse detective = double meh. I haven't seen the Black Cauldron in my adult life so I don't have any commentary but I haven't heard the greatest things.
You guys should check out the documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty.

mickEblu

Thanks for sharing this. Never thought about how much the ride has changed since the beginning. Do you recall what the Adventureland segment was like in the park's early years? I've always wondered if the Jungle Cruise was visible from the train.

Was there ever a giant skull perched over the DLRR on the backside of the Jungle Cruise or am I imagining things? I remember being very young in the old parking lot (now DCA) on the tram going towards DL and seeing a giant skull. This would be sometime in the late 80s.

NobodyElse

I miss the fake cheetah that you would pass by on the way to NOS on the train. It got moved to Tarzan's tree house.

Was it re-purposed? I recall a black panther on the rock next to the RR tracks (and thought it had some sort of fur, but I may be wrong). Isn't the leopard in the tree house smooth plastic (fiber glass)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom