News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
I took pictures, but I kind of figured they'd be beyond redundant at the pace people post videos.

One thing I will add that in person I took a long critical look at the 'scale' of Disneyland since it has been such a contentious topic for both this project and also related to the stretch out of Hong Kong castle. There is no denying that all of Disneyland proper adheres to that 5/8th or less scale and nothing looms like Radiator Springs or ToT.

I'm very reassured that the design team at least in the guest facing elements we can see so far 'get it'. The rock work is charming, but not imposing and looks to blend perfectly with the scale of classic Disneyland. That maybe doesn't say anything about the rest of the land itself, but they certainly aren't screwing up the River aspect, it really looks like it is coming together well.

Slightly off topic, but boy does Tower of Terror not fit into the Disneyland resort as a whole. Even for DCA it looms too much. Really, there should have been a dig down and had it go several floors underground.

I will maybe grab a picture of one of the construction workers on the berm by Big Thunder. On the ride it sure feels like they are practically building the berm right next to you. It looks like it will continue to fit in great and the guests walking underneath will go unnoticed, but I now understand someone who said it felt very tight. Something perhaps exaggerated by being on the ride.

Ismael Flores

The layout of the new security entrance really is kind of weird.

Almost seems like they will end up putting a large barrier east to west along the original tram area where they removed all the trees and two loading zone.
Then force every one to go west and go thru security.

Seems that what they should have done is put the security tents closer to the existing tram area and used the new area for unloading only. All loading could have stayed in the three loading zone they had last week.

If they have load and unload in same area within the secured section then someone really did not thinks this out correctly and have just created a huge bottleneck of people arriving and leaving.

Forgot to mention,that I really hope this is not staying like this. Those walmart looking tents that will do little to protect the CM's from the heat and rain and the lack of any trees in the new area really is worse looking than the existing eastern shuttle area.

I know they wanted to get this up and running before the Holiday crowds but after that they really should consider doing something more profesional and inviting. I can just imagine the frustrated people standing on that hot asphalt with green slur during the hot summer months with no visible trees to help ease the heat

SSG

The layout of the new security entrance really is kind of weird.

Almost seems like they will end up putting a large barrier east to west along the original tram area where they removed all the trees and two loading zone.
Then force every one to go west and go thru security.

Seems that what they should have done is put the security tents closer to the existing tram area and used the new area for unloading only. All loading could have stayed in the three loading zone they had last week.

If they have load and unload in same area within the secured section then someone really did not thinks this out correctly and have just created a huge bottleneck of people arriving and leaving.

Forgot to mention,that I really hope this is not staying like this. Those walmart looking tents that will do little to protect the CM's from the heat and rain and the lack of any trees in the new area really is worse looking than the existing eastern shuttle area.

I know they wanted to get this up and running before the Holiday crowds but after that they really should consider doing something more profesional and inviting. I can just imagine the frustrated people standing on that hot asphalt with green slur during the hot summer months with no visible trees to help ease the heat
Those look very temporary so it won't be hard to adjust the position to find what works best.

Last edited:

jmuboy

The current security setup outside of the theme parks doesn't look permanent either but it's been there for 15+ years.
My guess is the tents will be used to test the guest flow and see how this new process works. Once the flow is worked out to a science then the landscape permanent bag check and screening structures would be built. A guess, but i can see this being reality.

D

Deleted member 107043

The current security setup outside of the theme parks doesn't look permanent either but it's been there for 15+ years.

Ok fine, but you can't compare that with pop-ups that have sandbags to weight them down.

Earl Sweatpants

Thanks. Great videos on this thread and a lot of action going on. It looks like they are getting a lot done in a hurry. They have to get ROA and DLRR up and running ASAP.
Yea, I'm really liking how we barely have a few days between updates from various sources, but each time it appears that something significant has happened. I'm really curious to see the development of how the train comes out from behind HB and then on its journey along the river. And always interested to see what's going on down in the pit.

Just imagine these updates in a month's time.

Phroobar

Best themed security gates still goes to Magic Mountain. I fear for USA Today readers.

SFMM_TR20150110_17.jpg

Ismael Flores

The one good thing about those security gates is that the ones near the DTD will be gone and finally bring that area back to the way it was designed.

Now hopefully they open up the gate of the picnic area next to the restrooms back up. That was the stupidest thing they ever did. To have an eating area blocked off from the nearest restrooms.

That's just as bad as the pizza place in tomorrowland on the opposite side of restrooms in the land. It's so unsanitary to having eating areas with no place to wash hands

D

Deleted member 107043

That's just as bad as the pizza place in tomorrowland on the opposite side of restrooms in the land.

Not disputing that clean hands are important, but the situation you describe is pretty much the standard across the resort and at most Disney theme parks. I mean it's not like there are restrooms adjacent to all DLR eateries, right?

Ismael Flores

I guess you are right although originally most were all within a short walk and most still do.
The original eatery in tomorrowland had them right next to the eatery.
I guess it just seems like the pizza place has the worst location

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom