News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

Not gonna lie, that castle is spectacular (while being kind of odd-looking at the same time). The best part of this news is that both HK Disneyland and DLR will have unique castles.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Strange how much investment is being funneled to that park when it doesn't seem to perform all that well. What's the deal?

They are investing to make it perform well.

The park flopped out of the gate due to Eisner's complete underinvestment. The opening day lineup ranks as one of the worst and certainly the worst by a mile for a castle park. Really some of the best 'parts' of the project were the location and infrastructure, which HK Gov itself was largely responsible for. Dis really did screw them over at the time.

The first round of investment was really to get the park up to what it should have been opening day. It did work, the park did move into the black. It's unfortunate that it has fallen off a bit again, but this round should push it back there.

Disney isn't limited in its ability to spend. Dumping money into HK doesn't preclude them from actually investing elsewhere. The one sure fire way for HK to continue to underperform is to stop investing in it.

D

Deleted member 107043

The opening day lineup ranks as one of the worst and certainly the worst by a mile for a castle park.

Agreed. Not trying to be argumentative, but can poor performance in a market where the vast majority of customers have nothing to compare the park to be strictly blamed on the attraction line-up? I can understand some modest investment to "correct" things, but $1.4 billion after recently investing $500 million? Without the explanation from @GiveMeTheMusic this kind of spending sounds a little bit crazy.

yookeroo

I agree, but the backlash, bad press, general wailing, & legal challenges (which Disney would win, but still) makes it unlikely to happen.

Just a pipe dream on my part. They have gotten out of control though,

Especially in Anaheim where the hotels are really close to the park and it would just be a matter of walking a bit and relaxing in the room

You're missing the point. When you're relaxing in your expensive hotel room, no one can see that you're a high roller.

GiveMeTheMusic

Agreed. Not trying to be argumentative, but can poor performance in a market where the vast majority of customers have nothing to compare the park to be strictly blamed on the attraction line-up? I can understand some modest investment to "correct" things, but $1.4 billion after recently investing $500 million? Without the explanation from @GiveMeTheMusic this kind of spending sounds a little bit crazy.

I think if they had gone full out from day 1 the park would have been a bigger draw, like SDL is proving to be. Now HKDL is in perpetual catch up - hopefully these expansions make a big difference for them and set them up for more success. HKDL, despite its faults, is really a wonderful park to visit.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Agreed. Not trying to be argumentative, but can poor performance in a market where the vast majority of customers have nothing to compare the park to be strictly blamed on the attraction line-up?

They have Ocean Park. Much more amusement park-like, but the discrepancy in attraction count was/is shocking. We're talking about a park that opened with cloned Buzz, Space Mountain, Winnie the Pooh... and then the train and Jungle Cruise before you scratch the bottom of the barrel with flat rides. It really only had three lands and Main street.

It was shockingly garbage for a single-gate resort. At least the steaming piles of DCA 1.0 and WDS had their castle parks to fall back on. People didn't need to 'know' other Disneyland's to know the original offering was horrifically under-built. Hong Kong is intimately aware of modern architectural abilities, they can recognize a toy castle designed 50 years ago.

Full disclosure: I'd never been to DL before visiting HKDL for the first time. I thought the castle looked extremely stupid. I have nothing but the utmost appreciation for Walt's original, but I still hold the feeling that it just doesn't belong in Hong Kong.

Edit: Oh and as @GiveMeTheMusic states. It really is a wonderful park now despite me harping on it above. I love it, it deserves investment.

Back to Star Wars??

If we must! :p

SSG

Interesting article on MiceChat. The author says there are indications alcohol will be served in SWL.

http://micechat.com/144495-david-koenig-dont-screw-it-up/

Let’s take, for example, Star Wars Land. The new area will have an eatery similar to the cantina in Star Wars: A New Hope, which Team Disney Anaheim is considering making a real cantina, serving real alcohol.

The move would be a huge departure from the Ways of Walt, but a next logical step for current management. To preserve the family atmosphere, Walt was insistent that there be no booze served in Disneyland, apart from the libations served at private parties or from his VIP backroom bar at the Red Wagon Inn (which was basically superseded by Club 33).

His successors figured it was okay to bend that rule for the more adult-oriented EPCOT Center, and Anaheim tried to replicate that vibe with Disney California Adventure—with great success. “Alcohol sales have been a VERY big moneymaker for the resort,” one insider shared with me. “It’s one of the reasons DCA is so popular.”

There’s a flip side, though, one he hopes Disneyland can avoid: “Cast members have noticed underage drinking, particularly at the Mad Tea Party, where legal age guests buy or share their drinks with minors, and some bad behaving intoxicated guests. We (on the Disneyland side) would like to continue without this one less problem.”

One proposed solution is to treat Star Wars Land as a separate park-within-the-park, and prohibit guests from carrying adult beverages outside the area and into Disneyland Proper. With the large sums of potential revenue on the line, my source expects the plan to be approved, and for management to excuse it with the catchphrase that it’s meant to improve “The Guest Experience”—their increasingly common justification for any changes they’ve already decided on.

Kiwiduck

New FreshBaked update. Filmed this morning.

I watched this (actually, I watch all their vlogs) and was interested to see that David was asked to stop filming the construction. Will be interesting to see if this was just a particularly zealous security guard or if this is the start of a new policy.

Kiwiduck

There is no 'right' thread to put this, but Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on this board. I haven't been here long but it has been very enjoyable to have (mostly) intelligent back-and-forth about about a place we all feel strongly about. Enjoy your holiday.
The American tradition of Black Friday sales has found its way to my part of the world. For that I give thanks to you all!!

Old Mouseketeer

This is good news. At minimum there should be beer and wine available at the park's top tier dining locations like DLP. The strict prohibition of alcohol at DL Park in this day and age is pretty dumb.

Totally agree. I think that hits it right down the middle. Beer and wine at all table service locations and maybe buffeteria (French Market, Zocalo, Plaza Inn, Pizza). Not sure about Carnation (with Walt's faves) or Jolly Holiday. Full bar in SWL, but no roaming outside SWL. That means alcohol stays in the restaurants. I would even be fine with no roaming inside SWL. I think you can preserve the park's family-friendly ambiance and treat people like adults.

I completely agree about the problems with Mad T/ElecTronica/GloFest. I have friends who worked Mad T and they really miss it. But it caused a lot of problems. Generally, though, I think they handle alcohol sales pretty well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom