News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Ismael Flores

I watched this (actually, I watch all their vlogs) and was interested to see that David was asked to stop filming the construction. Will be interesting to see if this was just a particularly zealous security guard or if this is the start of a new policy.
I never understood Disney and Disney security tight restrictions on filming construction stuff like this. Are they afraid that someone is going to film some top secret way of pouring concrete?

I can understand if people do weird things to film over construction walls but when the activity is clearly seen from anywhere. What's the point of hiding anything

VJ

I never understood Disney and Disney security tight restrictions on filming construction stuff like this. Are they afraid that someone is going to film some top secret way of pouring concrete?

I can understand if people do weird things to film over construction walls but when the activity is clearly seen from anywhere. What's the point of hiding anything
I think it's about the fact that they're getting to the recognizable portions of the structures (as far as the ROA stuff) that would "spoil the surprise" as it were. It's one thing watching a pile of dirt but I'd imagine Disney would start getting protective when you can easily make out what's being built and it starts to take shape.

Just my theory.

Curious Constance

There is no 'right' thread to put this, but Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on this board. I haven't been here long but it has been very enjoyable to have (mostly) intelligent back-and-forth about about a place we all feel strongly about. Enjoy your holiday.

Thank you, and I hope your holiday was wonderful as well! I've been out of the loop lately, but really missing my daily Disney fixes. This time of the year is so busy for me, and my new job at work definitely has less down time, but I'm going to try to make more time for the boards!

TP2000

OMG--in the '70s Disney was so paranoid about the drug culture that they virtually banned the caterpillar from the parks. Even the glassblowers on Main St. were prohibited from making custom orders of the caterpillar on the giant mushroom.

My neighbor works in TDA in a management role, but she started in the park decades ago as a ride operator. She has repeatedly said that "If Disneyland had drug tested CM's in the 1970's the park wouldn't have been able to open most days!" Apparently those clean-cut CM's also knew how to party. And she says that Disneyland still doesn't do drug tests on hourly CM's to this day.

In Star Wars news, our fave photog ShesInLosAngeles did more filming today, the day after some pretty heavy rainfall, and got some great shots on a quiet and chilly Sunday morning. The rockwork being built along the old Big Thunder Trail just gets better and better.

Earl Sweatpants

My neighbor works in TDA in a management role, but she started in the park decades ago as a ride operator. She has repeatedly said that "If Disneyland had drug tested CM's in the 1970's the park wouldn't have been able to open most days!" Apparently those clean-cut CM's also knew how to party. And she says that Disneyland still doesn't do drug tests on hourly CM's to this day.

In Star Wars news, our fave photog ShesInLosAngeles did more filming today, the day after some pretty heavy rainfall, and got some great shots on a quiet and chilly Sunday morning. The rockwork being built along the old Big Thunder Trail just gets better and better.

it takes real dedication to actually still film IN the rain at some points. Another well done video.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Don't be surprised when a certain dirt mound is no longer there with the next video from She's in LA. It's not even really there now. It's being moved to the new berm (the double layered wall) at a dump truck every 3 minutes or so.

There's some rock work we haven't seen yet just out of the frame from Hungry bear. Visible from on-ride Splash Mountain, maybe because they've moved all those trees. Will try taking a picture in daylight Wednesday, night was a no go.

Otherwise a portion of the service road is paved, all other sections of the berm seem to have more dirt or better defined to the end point. The battle escape work is certainly more busy becoming a bigger mess of rebar.

Curious Constance

Don't be surprised when a certain dirt mound is no longer there with the next video from She's in LA. It's not even really there now. It's being moved to the new berm (the double layered wall) at a dump truck every 3 minutes or so.

There's some rock work we haven't seen yet just out of the frame from Hungry bear. Visible from on-ride Splash Mountain, maybe because they've moved all those trees. Will try taking a picture in daylight Wednesday, night was a no go.

Otherwise a portion of the service road is paved, all other sections of the berm seem to have more dirt or better defined to the end point. The battle escape work is certainly more busy becoming a bigger mess of rebar.
Are you there now!?

BrianLo

Original Poster
Are you there now!?

Yes! :)

Will be the only time between now and when I visit it after opening... well maybe. We'll see if I can avoid showing up for 2+ years.

On the other hand I'm quite excited for Pandora and have steered clear of WDW for 5 now. Addiction barely under control, I hide it by just bouncing around between all the parks worldwide.

Curious Constance

Yes! :)

Will be the only time between now and when I visit it after opening... well maybe. We'll see if I can avoid showing up for 2+ years.

On the other hand I'm quite excited for Pandora and have steered clear of WDW for 5 now. Addiction barely under control, I hide it by just bouncing around between all the parks worldwide.
Hope you're having a great time!

Earl Sweatpants

Borrowing this picture from MiceChat. This is a view you can pretty much only get from BTM of the new train tunnel going into Toontown station.
SWL-Nov-25-NE-5.jpg

mickEblu

Speaking of Toontown, it's still pretty cool at night and RRCS Is great. I hope it doesn't get the axe for Arendelle. I might be cool with it if it was for multiple storybook IPs. Any variation of Cinderella, BATB, Mary Poppins, Tangled etc....but just for Arendelle? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Especially when there is room for the Frozen ride without killing Toontown.

I know that the theory right now is that folks want to be transported to worlds From their favorite films and it's true. But I think the main thing people want is quality. Disney and Universal deiceded to put all their $$$ and best imagineers on these projects because they are less risky and it paid off. But If that sort of $ And effort from the industries elite is spent on any project it will pay off. Meaning to say i don't think folks would be any happier with Arendelle than with a FL expansion based on multiple Disney IPs so long as the quality is there. I would also think that variety is better for long term success. If the original Fantasyland was Snow White or Sleeping Beauty land would it still be as popular today? Possibly but i doubt it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

If the original Fantasyland was Snow White or Sleeping Beauty land would it still be as popular today? Possibly but i doubt it.

For some Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White are almost indistinguishable, at least as far as characters in the animated fairy tale genre go. As much as I love Walt Disney's classic animated movies I have doubts if even the average mid-century guest would have gone wild over an entire land devoted to Princess Aurora because, well, she's kinda boring. One of the reasons why certain modern animated fairy tales have done so well at the box office and in the parks, and thus have such strong global appeal and staying power, is because their central female characters are spirited and are far more interesting than the princesses the Studio developed in Walt's day.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

For some Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White are almost indistinguishable, at least as far as characters in the animated fairy tale genre go. As much as I love Walt Disney's classic animated movies I have doubts if even the average mid-century guest would have gone wild over an entire land devoted to Princess Aurora because, well, she's kinda boring. One of the reasons why certain modern animated fairy tales have done so well at the box office and in the parks, and thus have such strong global appeal and staying power, is because their central female characters are spirited and are far more interesting than the princesses the Studio developed in Walt's day.

The princesses are certainly more interesting but im not sure the Rest of the characters are. The newer villains are especially weak. And those older songs can't be beat.

Ismael Flores

I still which they had just made that tunnel a bit wider and moved the Grand Canyon diorama to this part of the train tracks and just left the larger dinosaur section where it is now. The setting would have been much better and fit the frontierland theme and maybe new animals.
The old building demolished along with the eastern side of tomorrowland including pizza place and expanded tomorrowland with a new reworked look.
Removing the clutter from space mountainand the old COP building

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom