News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

smooch

Someone at Forbes sure bought into the whole 'Bright suns!' part of visiting Batu. I somehow doubt the validity of some of this guy's obviously unscripted and completely unpaid for by the mouse's 'experiences'.

‘Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge’ Is The Pinnacle Of The Theme Park As Art

o_Oo_Oo_O

I don't know why but that author's writing style is absolutely terrible to me, that was incredibly hard to read through. They seem like they would be the kind of person you know that everyone is kinda nice to but every time they talk everyone lets out silent collective groan.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I don't know why but that author's writing style is absolutely terrible to me, that was incredibly hard to read through. They seem like they would be the kind of person you know that everyone is kinda nice to but every time they talk everyone lets out silent collective groan.
So he is me then?

Blu

Do you recall in what ways the John Williams Galaxy's Edge theme was used? Is it heard anywhere as area music? I think somebody posted a few weeks ago that it plays at the end of Smuggler's Run. Just interested in any reports of music usage in the land.
I can’t remember my self but, the most “star wars” memory on my one and only Batuu visit was when the infamous cantina song came on during my stop at the cantina. The whole bar cheered. Batuu needs much more ambient and recognizable music everywhere.

Mickeyboof

Do you recall in what ways the John Williams Galaxy's Edge theme was used? Is it heard anywhere as area music? I think somebody posted a few weeks ago that it plays at the end of Smuggler's Run. Just interested in any reports of music usage in the land.

The music is used cinematically only.

It is featured when returning to Batuu at the conclusion of Smugglers Run, and I believe it’s heard at Savi’s workshop.

How a musicless land could possibly win a Grammy is beyond me. It might even be irony.

Is anyone from Imagineering reading this? I know they aren’t, but if they are: get your head out of your self-proclaimed creative *** (I censored myself) and give us in-world area music.

Rey’s theme at the Resistance base.

First Order/ Imperial themed at their docked ship.

Toss in some marketplace harmonies and a dash of Leia’s Theme near the falcon.

You didn’t create a real ecosystem. You created a theme park land.

Blu

Is anyone from Imagineering reading this? I know they aren’t, but if they are: get your head out of your self-proclaimed creative *** (I censored myself) and give us in-world area music.
[/QUOTE]

Id seriously even take Ewok theme music, if only to turn to my family to say “oh hey that’s Ewok theme music”.

Mickeyboof

I’d take Vi (pronounced Vyyyyyyyy for gods sake get it right) humming the Star Trek theme at this point.

Blu

The music is used cinematically only.

It is featured when returning to Batuu at the conclusion of Smugglers Run, and I believe it’s heard at Savi’s workshop.

How a musicless land could possibly win a Grammy is beyond me. It might even be irony.

Rey’s theme at the Resistance base.

First Order/ Imperial themed at their docked ship.

Toss in some marketplace harmonies and a dash of Leia’s Theme near the falcon.

You didn’t create a real ecosystem. You created a theme park land.
Speaking of Star Trek....

Romulan Ale needs to be a 'secret menu' item at Oga's Cantina .....even if it is 'illegal' in this quadrant.

Make it so, Citizens of Batuu!
:)

-
anythings better than blue milk.

rsm

Just got back from a week in DL after having been fully in the loop over the past year about what GE's turned out to be. A couple comments overall:

1) I was pleasantly surprised my MFSR. While not perfect, it was much more fun and responsive than I expected based on other reviews. The screens are definitely not bright enough, but the interactivity I thought was responsive enough, and honestly I think they struck the balance between difficulty and re-rideability. The queue was great - the faceless voices of the mechanics were more fun than I expected. The chess room surprised me by how overscale it was - I don't recall too many people mentioning that. I know they can't build a movie accurate version with people ducking their heads, but I feel like overall it would feel more authentic if it were a little more cramped. The transition from "jetway" to falcon was also better in person than expected. The floor in the jetway actually has that hollow feeling and has some bounce to it that a real jetway has. Super cool.

2) ROTR was basically exactly how its been described and shown on video. Loved the whole thing. We got to ride twice and did both paths and got to see A mode and B mode at the end.

3) The land itself was not quite as lifeless as I expected which was great. Definitely need some more roaming characters. And I'm officially in the camp that the land entrances need more music that is less subtle. Heck I think there should even be signs showing that you are entering and leaving the land. All the other lands have them, and even after studying these lands for months before visiting I wasn't 100% sure where GE "started" when coming from Hungry Bear.

4) Oga's was great. Would be even better if it were the lounge for a restaurant.

5) We did both Savi's and Droid Depot. No real comments. Great fun.

6) One thing that I was pleasantly surprised by was the Play app. I expected to never even open the thing, but we all found it alot fun to wander around at night and "make things blink" around the land from hacking. Added to the immersion in a fun way. And it actyally WORKED 99% of the time which surprised me.

7) Totally agree that if you don't do any of the upcharge experiences it would probably seem like a big waste of space in DL of all places.

8) I think it definetly needs a 3rd attraction, and some more things to "do" over by the resistance area. I love they stuck to their guns with making it a wooded escape before the marketplace, but it just feels like a waste. In fantasyland, there would be 5 or 6 attractions jammed into the same footprint. Heck, Tom Sawyer's island has more to do and is less wooded than the resistance corner.

Blu

Just got back from a week in DL after having been fully in the loop over the past year about what GE's turned out to be. A couple comments overall:

1) I was pleasantly surprised my MFSR. While not perfect, it was much more fun and responsive than I expected based on other reviews. The screens are definitely not bright enough, but the interactivity I thought was responsive enough, and honestly I think they struck the balance between difficulty and re-rideability. The queue was great - the faceless voices of the mechanics were more fun than I expected. The chess room surprised me by how overscale it was - I don't recall too many people mentioning that. I know they can't build a movie accurate version with people ducking their heads, but I feel like overall it would feel more authentic if it were a little more cramped. The transition from "jetway" to falcon was also better in person than expected. The floor in the jetway actually has that hollow feeling and has some bounce to it that a real jetway has. Super cool.

2) ROTR was basically exactly how its been described and shown on video. Loved the whole thing. We got to ride twice and did both paths and got to see A mode and B mode at the end.

3) The land itself was not quite as lifeless as I expected which was great. Definitely need some more roaming characters. And I'm officially in the camp that the land entrances need more music that is less subtle. Heck I think there should even be signs showing that you are entering and leaving the land. All the other lands have them, and even after studying these lands for months before visiting I wasn't 100% sure where GE "started" when coming from Hungry Bear.

4) Oga's was great. Would be even better if it were the lounge for a restaurant.

6) One thing that I was pleasantly surprised by was the Play app. I expected to never even open the thing, but we all found it alot fun to wander around at night and "make things blink" around the land from hacking. Added to the immersion in a fun way. And it actyally WORKED 99% of the time which surprised me.

7) Totally agree that if you don't do any of the upcharge experiences it would probably seem like a big waste of space in DL of all places.

8) I think it definetly needs a 3rd attraction, and some more things to "do" over by the resistance area. I love they stuck to their guns with making it a wooded escape before the marketplace, but it just feels like a waste. In fantasyland, there would be 5 or 6 attractions jammed into the same footprint. Heck, Tom Sawyer's island has more to do and is less wooded than the resistance corner.
Yeah a couple shows, characters, small skits , a table service restaurant, music, it’s not like the land is that far from being great vs good.

Blu

Besides the pad behind kylos ship, where could they even put a third attraction now I wonder?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Yeah a couple shows, characters, small skits , a table service restaurant, music, it’s not like the land is that far from being great vs good.
They had R2-D2 out roaming over the weekend and the CMs that were with it were good at having R2 interact with the guests and he always had a good size crowd around him. At one point the CM was trying to have R2 open up the door that doesn't open to the right of the landspeeder garage, but he couldn't reach, so the CM had a young boy (about 8 yo) come help and the CM "translated" R2's beeps and was telling the kid to press buttons on the control pad. Of course the door didn't open, and R2 beeped and the CM said that the kid actually "locked" the door so the first order couldn't get in and it was a win for the resistance. It was cheesy but the boy loved it. This type of interaction does help the streetmosphere aspect and they need more.

They also did a mini-show at the Tie Echelon with Kylo asking a First Order officer if teams were sent out to look for a spy, and he said yes, but Kylo said he didn't see any and started force choking the guy. Unfortunately it was only a minute long show. They need more of this. More of the stunt stuff they did for the opening of RotR at WDW.

Regarding music....I'm in the minority here, but it doesn't bother me. Seems like a low-hanging fruit as to find something the nit-pick about because there's music in the rest of the park. I like the real ambiance sounds going on. Makes me feel like I'm really in another place. Also, if you stand just south of the marketplace, near the overhead bridge west of the landspeeder area, there's a window in the building that I assume is a residence that is playing a Star Wars radio station. I believe the same station can be heard in the landspeeder bay.

I also heard Oga chewing out an employee from one of the windows to the right of the Cantina.

A lot more people were using the Play Disney app to hack into things much more than last time I was there. I was scanning crates in the MF queue and a family behind me was asking what I was doing, and I introduced them to the app. The teenage boy was scanning crates and translating text throughout the rest of the queue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom