News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

TP2000

They needed significantly wittier ideas about the life of the place or the things that an alien would need at a marketplace.

All of your ideas are great, and I strongly agree with your thesis on why Star Wars Land feels flat and lifeless.

But the "significantly wittier ideas" phrase really struck me. I went and saw the 2015 reboot of Star Wars at the movie theater. It was great, but the wit was taken out of the movie the moment they killed Han Solo and made Chewbacca cry. Star Wars used to have wit, but it no longer does. It's now just sort of plodding, heavy, war-ravaged and depressing. There's no wit or humor left in Star Wars movies.

And there was absolutely no wit or humor in Star Wars Land when I went in June. There may have been some wit inside the Cantina with Rex the DJ spinning records, but the stressed out and surly hostesses guarding the door prevented me from getting a peek. I didn't find wit or humor anywhere else. No one laughed. No one told a joke. But why would they? The place is a desolate outpost wracked by war and controlled by a fascist government. :oops:

Nothing in Star Wars Land was funny. Nothing made me laugh. Nothing poked fun at itself. It was all very serious and beige and dour and professional. The only thing unprofessional were the CM's who just talked amongst themselves about their crappy July 4th schedule and how wild Katie's party was last week. :rolleyes:

This may be a long-term problem for them. The current generation of Star Wars isn't funny, and wit is no longer allowed.

When I'm on vacation I like to laugh. I can't be the only one.

Monorail_Orange

All of your ideas are great, and I strongly agree with your thesis on why Star Wars Land feels flat and lifeless.

But the "significantly wittier ideas" phrase really struck me. I went and saw the 2015 reboot of Star Wars at the movie theater. It was great, but the wit was taken out of the movie the moment they killed Han Solo and made Chewbacca cry. Star Wars used to have wit, but it no longer does. It's now just sort of plodding, heavy, war-ravaged and depressing. There's no wit or humor left in Star Wars movies.

And there was absolutely no wit or humor in Star Wars Land when I went in June. There may have been some wit inside the Cantina with Rex the DJ spinning records, but the stressed out and surly hostesses guarding the door prevented me from getting a peek. I didn't find wit or humor anywhere else. No one laughed. No one told a joke. But why would they? The place is a desolate outpost wracked by war and controlled by a fascist government. :oops:

Nothing in Star Wars Land was funny. Nothing made me laugh. Nothing poked fun at itself. It was all very serious and beige and dour and professional. The only thing unprofessional were the CM's who just talked amongst themselves about their crappy July 4th schedule and how wild Katie's party was last week. :rolleyes:

This may be a long-term problem for them. The current generation of Star Wars isn't funny, and wit is no longer allowed.

When I'm on vacation I like to laugh. I can't be the only one.
I hadn't thought about it quite in these terms before reading this, but you're quite right. There's been something missing in all of this "new Star Wars" and I think you've nailed it - it's the wit and the humor. All we have left now is war-ravaged desolation, the fun is MIA. The original trilogy struck a good balance. The prequels tried too hard on the funny bits (i.e. JarJar), and it came off as clumsy. Ep 7 and 8 have avoided that trap, but are still short on the wit and humor. Perhaps the changing times have made it much more difficult? The risk of being labeled "offensive" to somebody, ANYBODY, seems much greater these days.

BubbaQuest

Only the truly educated understood the sophistication that was Superstar Limo at the time it opened. It took time for the uneducated to come around to its appeal, even now years after its closure.

This is the same with SW:GE....

Superstar Limo was the best ride ever, if they just would have included the stars from the original Hollywood trilogy....

Monorail_Orange

Every one of those moments happened prior to Han's encounter with Ben on the catwalk, which was part of TP2000's point. Sure there were moments of humor in TLJ too, but it just didn't quite hit that perfect mix. The humor and wit is lacking in GE similarly, kind of continuing that desolate, war ravaged desperation the remnants of the Resistance must be feeling at the end of TLJ. If that's the intent, I think they nailed it. But then they forgot the point of a theme park land is to be FUN.

Ellen Ripley

Every one of those moments happened prior to Han's encounter with Ben on the catwalk, which was part of TP2000's point. Sure there were moments of humor in TLJ too, but it just didn't quite hit that perfect mix. The humor and wit is lacking in GE similarly, kind of continuing that desolate, war ravaged desperation the remnants of the Resistance must be feeling at the end of TLJ. If that's the intent, I think they nailed it. But then they forgot the point of a theme park land is to be FUN.

FUN = YMMV

LanceQ

As much as I think (and have said as much in these forums) that GE can and should be improved upon, some of the criticisms here are ones I don't really get.

I had plenty of fun and was laughingly almost constantly during my trip to GE. Fortunately, with only one exception, I didn't have lazy CMs as some have described, the CMs were all great, fully engaged in their role play and very helpful and fun. But even that lazy CM was still trying to keep us entertained.

My interactions with the costumed characters, particularly the stormtroopers, were absolutely, brilliantly hilarious. Spending time with Vi Moradi was delightful. Watching the eye in the water fountain, listening to DJ Rex, listening to the droid roasting the spit, watching Dok Ondar lose his cool - these are all fun and, yes, "funny" details in the park.

I guess if you just walk around the land and literally do nothing, you'd be bored. But you could say that about any part of Disneyland.

You have to me a more active participant in GE than maybe people are used to. And maybe that's not for everyone, fair enough. But I was having nonstop fun during my entire visit.

LanceQ

Smuggler's Run is a Disney Quest attraction. It needs to be replaced with a real ride.

this comment is just nonsense. It's a "real" ride. It's as real as Star Tours or any number of other simulator rides out in the world.

If you want a dark ride with animatronics, that's obviously coming. Having two of those kinds of rides with a SW theme would be redundant and boring.

TROR

this comment is just nonsense. It's a "real" ride. It's as real as Star Tours or any number of other simulator rides out in the world.

If you want a dark ride with animatronics, that's obviously coming. Having two of those kinds of rides with a SW theme would be redundant and boring.
You know what's really boring, though? Smuggler's Run. It's not a real ride, not because it's a simulator, but because it's the kind of video game simulator you can find at Chuck E Cheese. It's not impressive just because it's covered with more money.

LanceQ

You know what's really boring, though? Smuggler's Run. It's not a real ride, not because it's a simulator, but because it's the kind of video game simulator you can find at Chuck E Cheese. It's not impressive just because it's covered with more money.

Fair enough. As long as you dislike Star Tours, Avatar, The Simpsons Ride, Back to the Future, Star Trek: The Experience, Harry Potter and every single other motion simulator ride because there are cheap-o simulators you can ride in malls, then maybe you'd have a point.

BTW, there isn't a single thing that exists at Disney Parks that isn't somewhere else in the world done cheaply. Covering stuff with money is what Disney does best.

TROR

Fair enough. As long as you dislike Star Tours, Avatar, The Simpsons Ride, Back to the Future, Star Trek: The Experience, Harry Potter and every single other motion simulator ride because there are cheap-o simulators you can ride in malls, then maybe you'd have a point.

BTW, there isn't a single thing that exists at Disney Parks that isn't somewhere else in the world done cheaply. Covering stuff with money is what Disney does best.
No, what Disney does best is covering stuff with charm. The difference between Dumbo and a normal flying spinner isn't the money, it's the charm of riding a flying elephant. Big difference.

LanceQ

No, what Disney does best is covering stuff with charm. The difference between Dumbo and a normal flying spinner isn't the money, it's the charm of riding a flying elephant. Big difference.

And if you don't think that piloting the Falcon is about a thousand times more charming than a junky mall simulator...

Well, then you're dead inside and there's no hope for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom