News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

TP2000

Man, people weren’t kidding when they said Chapek had cut the budget down for entertainment and streetmosphere. He didn’t cut it. He slashed it to the bone. What did he leave? The random First Order show, Ren/ Chewie and the 2 borrowed storm troopers From TL?

Yup, that's all Mr. Chapek left. And when I was there Chewbacca had the night off and was nowhere to be found. :mad:

There's a CM poster over on Micechat who called this two months ago, saying before the land opened that Mr. Chapek had cut the budget on entertainment and removed all the interactive stuff because it would have cost higher labor rates to staff AGVA and union performers. Instead Mr. Chapek was convinced that having the ride operators and shop CM's say cutesy phrases like "Bright suns!" to you would gloss over the fact there was no live entertainment in the land and all the interactive droids and action that Disney itself said would be there was not actually there.

And Mr. Chapek got to pocket the labor savings from all his cuts to make himself look good to the sharp pencil boys.

When I spent a few hours in the land on a very uncrowded evening, no one said cutesy phrases to me. The shop clerks talked amongst themselves about their crummy July 4th schedules, and the ride operators just hustled you into the cockpit of the Falcon without much care or instruction.

That post was a couple months ago over there, and she's followed it up with some more stuff since the land opened. She's a bit hard to follow as she is, um, very emotional as young folks in the entertainment industry tend to be. But my gosh, in hindsight that CM totally nailed it on why Star Wars Land feels dead and lifeless and sterile.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yup, that's all Mr. Chapek left. And when I was there Chewbacca had the night off and was nowhere to be found. :mad:

There's a CM poster over on Micechat who called this two months ago, saying before the land opened that Mr. Chapek had cut the budget on entertainment and removed all the interactive stuff because it would have cost higher labor rates to staff AGVA and union performers. Instead Mr. Chapek was convinced that having the ride operators and shop CM's say cutesy phrases like "Bright suns!" to you would gloss over the fact there was no live entertainment in the land and all the interactive droids and action that Disney itself said would be there was not actually there.

And Mr. Chapek got to pocket the labor savings from all his cuts to make himself look good to the sharp pencil boys.

That post was a couple months ago over there, and she's followed it up with some more stuff since the land opened. She's a bit hard to follow as she is, um, very emotional as young folks in the entertainment industry tend to be. But my gosh, in hindsight that CM totally nailed it on why Star Wars Land feels dead and lifeless and sterile.

That may be...but relying on actors that will incur longterm labor costs is something the management will no longer tolerate. It was never gonna be an option.

They really tied their own hands behind their back and blindfolded themselves when they designed this. Hogtied by their own bad leadership at LFL and the desire to mitigate all the bad stuff that has incurred since George discovered the computer in 1995 and took profit mongering to all time levels.

Disney has basically continued that...making different mistakes with similar motivations.

And this is bob...the king of IP. The belief that only the label - not the substance - counts.

Star Wars is different. They had a foil with Cameron that worked on avatar...a partner to rough out the conflicts between costs and experience.

They do not have that with Star Wars.

I do hope I’m completely wrong when I see this thing. Truly. I still can’t quite believe Hollywood can screw up Star Wars...and after 20 years you’d think the tingling would wear off?

Ismael Flores

ok so i am at the resort right now and had to parks at 5th level in mickey and friends and the parks feel busy. surprisingly i cam because app showed low attraction times but the main rides are at the 50 minute levels. DCA feels very busy seems like tourism is arriving

MouseMelly

Finally got to see it on Thursday and rode MFSR today! I actually really enjoyed it. It’s a fun experience with a good ride length. Solid B+/A- in my opinion.

The land itself is incredible. Lots of nooks to explore and details to find. Don’t waste the money on green milk 😝 I didn’t even try the blue after hearing it’s floral-tasting. One woman I saw about gagged after sipping it.

mickEblu

Finally got to see it on Thursday and rode MFSR today! I actually really enjoyed it. It’s a fun experience with a good ride length. Solid B+/A- in my opinion.

The land itself is incredible. Lots of nooks to explore and details to find. Don’t waste the money on green milk 😝 I didn’t even try the blue after hearing it’s floral-tasting. One woman I saw about gagged after sipping it.

I’m glad you enjoyed it but I’m confused with the A- rating. So are you saying it’s essentially one of the best rides at DLR or are all the other signature attractions A+’s. I’ve seen a few random people give it an A- or a 4.5 out of 5.

TP2000

Me.

But I’m clearly not missing much.

Love it! But it's actually not that bad.

It's clearly well designed and budgeted to the max when it comes to buildings and decor. But then they cut out all the neat entertainment and interactive stuff they said it would have, and now let the land just sort of lay there dead without any music playing or life happening.

But it's not like spending your vacation in a Welsh coal mine. It's just not the OH MY GAWD YOU HAVE TO GET TO DISNEYLAND AND SEE THIS! experience that Disney built it up to be for the last four years.

MouseMelly

I’m glad you enjoyed it but I’m confused with the A- rating. So are you saying it’s essentially one of the best rides at DLR or are all the other signature attractions A+’s. I’ve seen a few random people give it an A- or a 4.5 out of 5.
I think it’s a solid ride for Disneyland Park. I’d still rank Splash and POTC above it, definitely. But I think it stands with the shoulders of Space Mountain (Hyperspace Mountain right now) and some others. I realize there are plenty of folks who’d disagree with me. It’s just nice to see something more modern come to DL Park.

(On the topic of great DLR rides... I reeeeeeaaalllllly hope they keep Soarin’ Over CALIFORNIA. Sooooooo much better.)

Hawg G

Love it! But it's actually not that bad.

It's clearly well designed and budgeted to the max when it comes to buildings and decor. But then they cut out all the neat entertainment and interactive stuff they said it would have, and now let the land just sort of lay there dead without any music playing or life happening.

But it's not like spending your vacation in a Welsh coal mine. It's just not the OH MY GAWD YOU HAVE TO GET TO DISNEYLAND AND SEE THIS! experience that Disney built it up to be for the last four years.

Hey, I took a tour of a Welsh coal mine once!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom