News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

He’s on the Resistance base in The Force Awakens

View attachment 389432
I stand corrected on the movie front but my original point stands that they created their own robot based off monsters inc. it would be one thing if this was in the background in one of the original trilogy or prequel trilogy films, but the fact disney added it to their first film only strenghtens my original point.

RobWDW1971

Why isn’t there any second floor audio in Galaxy’s Edge like the dentist on Main Street or Rainbow Ridge on Big Thunder? Easy and effective way to bring some life.

You just don't get it - in real space ports, those floors are abandoned and all stores and restaurants have no windows so they always looked closed. Good lord, man, get out of your 1970's theme park design paradigm and get with today's groundbreaking Imagineers!

I mean, all of the hustle and bustle in Harry Potter land with all of that iconic music playing and seeing inside the shops is so 2010!

Old Mouseketeer

My full review:

What I Liked:
- Seeing the full size Falcon in person was awesome and it was incredibly well executed
- The chess room of the Falcon, the hallways, and effect of going into the "only" cockpit was great
- The feel of the Falcon cockpit
- The ride experience (assuming they eventually get to multiple missions rotating in)
- The pilot positions both left and right
- Ronto Roasters
- Cantina execution (see size issue below)
- Light saber building concept
- The design of the marketplace walkthrough area
- Build a droid experience/conveyor belts

What I Did Not Like:
- The land feels abandoned, bleak, and depressing
- Tying it to the new characters vs. the original trilogy that built the brand/fan interest was a mistake (note nearly all of the selfies are in front of the Falcon and X Wing from the original trilogy)
- The lack of wandering characters, droids, bounty hunters, or anybody makes it feel lifeless, static, and cold
- The decision to present the few droids and vehicles they have as rusted and abandoned behind fences
- The intentional decision to not use the iconic music to create an immediate and powerful emotional connection to the land (like Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, etc.)
- The misguided attempt at "immersion" that lead to the poor choice to exclude the music (yes, I've heard all of the convoluted explanations, just a terrible creative choice)
- The misguided decision to not rely on several entertainment cast members throughout the land, but instead assume that union food, merch, and ride operators can instantly become professional improv actors and both take on characters and tell a story (so painful, it hurts to hear them try)
- The merchandise cast member trying valiantly to "act" in the light saber experience - Good Lord Disney, pay for ONE entertainment cast member when you're selling $200 lightsabers!
- The decision to use BEIGE as your signature color throughout the entire land
- The decision to not have prominent water features, shade, greenery, or "soft" features to offset the bombed out, abandoned feel of the area
- The decision to have majority of the buildings be windowless (which feel "closed") including the cantina to ensure zero atmosphere or energy in the area
- The incredible amount of closed facades, walls, etc. that lead to nowhere - except a sea of bombed out beige
- The insanely short sighted capacity issues for the cantina, which should have been the signature experience of the land outside the attractions - and with the Lamplight Lounge experience at DCA, nobody can say they didn't understand the draw
- Setting the land in a place that nobody has ever heard of, have no emotional connection to, and a place, frankly, I have no interest in going (vs. Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, etc.)
- The decision to create the lone incredibly animated animatronic figure of....Yoda? Chewy? Boba Fett? Vader? Jabba? Admiral Ackbar? Nope....Hondo! Whoever that is.
- The Falcon gunner and engineer positions
- The queue of the Falcon (with the exception of all of the views of the Falcon) was just another pile of junk with two "Bros" talking
- The "stalls" in the marketplace seem like a good idea but don't work for the merchandise or the shopping experience
- The idea people want "Batuu" merchandise vs. Star Wars merchandise
- Made up things that aren't in the Star Wars universe like "Good moons" are whatever the heck they say to you. It's not Star Wars and nobody cares about "Batuu". I don't know, how about "May the Force be with you"!
- Blue/Green milk - a sad and forced attempt at a Butter Beer phenomenon
- A complete lack of humor, whimsy, activity, emotion, and charm throughout the land - it's like the Bizarro Harry Potter Land

What I Am Hoping For:
- ROTR is amazing on all levels and lives up its scope/expense and makes everyone forget about the land's shortcomings
- They immediately fill the land with professional actors, droids, characters, bounty hunters, etc. to give the place life, energy, and activity

Overall, after the immediate thrill of seeing the Falcon and the newness of it all, the place just made me feel depressed vs. how I feel in the rest of Disneyland or at, in my opinion, the far superior two Harry Potter lands in Florida. I love just being "there" in both of those and I'm not even a Harry Potter fan. They both are just full of magic, whimsy, music, joy, and a celebration of the characters and that universe. YMMV

I agree with you at least twice as much as I disagree. Rather than quibble, let me emphasize what I think is key:

All of your "likes", especially adding multiple missions.

Most of your dislikes, especially:

• The "fail" of the Cantina (tried it for the first time yesterday--drink was lame and after ten minutes of waiting had to bus the leftover glasses at our table.
  • The lack of what I call the "Citizens of Batuu", IOW paid atmosphere performers doing the work they are expecting front-line employees to do.
  • The lack of an entertainment performer in the lightsaber shop/attraction (I hear the union is filing a grievance).
  • No atmosphere music--what, Batuu doesn't have music?
  • The price of blue/green milk. It's at least 50% higher than it's worth, even by inflated Disney standards.
Clearly Disney counted the sheer size and impressiveness of the land to carry it (assuming both rides were open) and apparently cut more entertainment offerings due to fears of crowd size. I took two of my teenage nephews yesterday and they totally geeked out. They didn't object to being on Batuu, but they totally noticed how dead the Resistance/forest area was. But even though they noticed the lack of life, they thought it was awesome. Having said that, I hope it improves.

mickEblu

Nope, I can actually confirm it’s done with the App. I was sitting there for like 10 mins doing it over and over again for folks who were trying to get it to work by just pushing the fountain button.

Sorry didn’t mean to call you a nerd. You were just helping people in need.

Kiwiduck

No one here does that.

Let’s change topics to building an X Wing coaster.
How about no! Mentioning the X wing coaster 10 times a day isn't more likely to get an X wing coaster built, take it to the imagineering forum if you can't let it go. Maybe if the same few people would stop repeating the same points over and over then other voices might feel comfortable discussing their experiences. And no, I have no experiences of my own to add, I have a trip planned for April when hopefully both rides are open.

TROR

How about no! Mentioning the X wing coaster 10 times a day isn't more likely to get an X wing coaster built, take it to the imagineering forum if you can't let it go. Maybe if the same few people would stop repeating the same points over and over then other voices might feel comfortable discussing their experiences. And no, I have no experiences of my own to add, I have a trip planned for April when hopefully both rides are open.
Then you don’t understand the need for the X Wing coaster then. Bye.

mickEblu

You must be talking about the same people who are scared to pilot the Falcon. Who cares what they think?

TrainsOfDisney

if Disney chose to hire me to “fix” the land I would do this -

- hire union actors to create and perform “citizens of Batuu” roles. Think adventurers club, citizens of Hollywood, citizen of Main Street, etc. they would be all over the place and they would be on mics. At the garage, at the random droid cove, at the falcon, at the resistance area, and at the x-wing. They would always be around. Not you might get lucky and see one, you’d always see them.

-hire musicians to play throughout the land. The Disneyland band does an amazing Star Wars medley in front of sleeping beauty castle, but we can’t have any live music in the billion dollar Star Wars land.

-in the long term work on custom stunt shows at the x-wing and garage area.

-also in the long term, work on a new falcon experience. Make it about something from a movie so people actually care. The experience of going into the falcon is pretty cool, but the ride is just like a pointless video game. “Collect the canister” ????

That fixes the major problems with the land without huge amounts of money.

If there are droids and aliens built and ready to go, obviously that would add a lot to the land as well.

In the long term, Darth Vader and Yoda need to be in the land, but I’m not enough of a Star Wars nerd to know how they fit in what timeline etc. I’d love to see a special effects show with a full on yoda AA demonstrating the force to us in real life.

mickEblu

if Disney chose to hire me to “fix” the land I would do this -

- hire union actors to create and perform “citizens of Batuu” roles. Think adventurers club, citizens of Hollywood, citizen of Main Street, etc. they would be all over the place and they would be on mics. At the garage, at the random droid cove, at the falcon, at the resistance area, and at the x-wing. They would always be around. Not you might get lucky and see one, you’d always see them.

-hire musicians to play throughout the land. The Disneyland band does an amazing Star Wars medley in front of sleeping beauty castle, but we can’t have any live music in the billion dollar Star Wars land.

-in the long term work on custom stunt shows at the x-wing and garage area.

-also in the long term, work on a new falcon experience. Make it about something from a movie so people actually care. The experience of going into the falcon is pretty cool, but the ride is just like a pointless video game. “Collect the canister” ????

That fixes the major problems with the land without huge amounts of money.

If there are droids and aliens built and ready to go, obviously that would add a lot to the land as well.

In the long term, Darth Vader and Yoda need to be in the land, but I’m not enough of a Star Wars nerd to know how they fit in what timeline etc. I’d love to see a special effects show with a full on yoda AA demonstrating the force to us in real life.

Some good ideas but you can go ahead and take the fix out of quotation marks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom