News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

britain

Ok, observation: It all looks worn, but not disgustingly grimy as some were worried about. And that's fine with me. Just because the Falcon is a hunk of junk and just because characters that deal with junk frequent the Star Wars universe doesn't mean everything needs to look like its from the undercarriage of an old truck. That Droid Depot looks a lot more clean in the footage than in the concept art.

I'm quite delighted that it reminds me of European/Asian town squares – Places that are showing their age, equipped with obsolete tech, but still places that the locals are proud of, so they sweep their shops and clean their kitchens effectively and respectfully.

Old Mouseketeer

Land looks sick but not too epic in scale to make it feel inappropriate for Disneyland, that’s good. Falcon looks like a fun time but maybe would be annoying to wait 3 hours for something pretty modest. If Rise is really the E ticket to end all E tickets, the whole place makes a lot of sense to me.

I found the Falcon ride far more than modest. I don't think it's as perfect as Avatar FoP, which I regard as an E+ ticket. But it's still in E-ticket range--E or E-minus. Definitely above Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania, or DCA Monster's Inc., which are generally regarded as D-tickets. YMMV

I Enjoy Disneyland

That’s great to hear. I definitely wouldn’t doubt videos do it no justice, even though the queue looks dope. Toy Story Mania rules in my opinion and that looks like absolutely nothing from YouTube videos

Marc Davis Fan

The discussion of whether MF:SR will make Star Tours feel "obsolete" made me think of another, less-direct but possibly still quite valid, comparison: Will RotR make IJA feel obsolete? Hear me out for a second: RotR is a next-generation sort-of-EMV ride on a mega-scale with a supposed "kitchen sink" of the effects that Disney has developed/used over the years. Will IJA stand on its own as a categorically different experience (e.g., more "enhanced" motion/physical thrill; completely different type of theme/setting), or will much of it start to come across as "earlier versions" of what appears in RotR? Maybe @marni1971 or other insiders have opinions on this?

mickEblu

Here’s some reviews from some sources who usually have nothing but praise for Disney...

Sounds like my predictions in regards to the ride experience were pretty spot on. Not trying to give myself too much credit though as we had enough information between the height requirement, video game renderings and brief description of rider roles/ seat configuration that it should have been fairly obvious.

This is a ride for a cross section of Star Wars nerds and some gamers who will be so absolutely mesmerized by everything else that they don’t care what actually happens in the cockpit. They’re just happy to be in it.

Oh well, there’s always ROTR, if they can get the thing to work.

Last edited:

Hawg G

It's not just you. they are probably on the high of being one of the first to go into a new land and on a brand new ride. i am curious to see reviews from the general public who have to wait in the 6 hour plus lines for the ride and their level of satisfaction once they exit.

They can also see the huge spread of free food behind the cameraman

Hawg G

Will IJA stand on its own as a categorically different experience (e.g., more "enhanced" motion/physical thrill; completely different type of theme/setting), or will much of it start to come across as "earlier versions" of what appears in RotR? Maybe @marni1971 or other insiders have opinions on this?

RotR is going to be tamer than Indy.

Remember all those in the know folks saying SR was going to blow Star Tours away? Panels would move to show more screen, huge motion.

We got a ride with a lower height restriction than ST and video game graphics (which we were told would be like 24k coming from like 8 video cards).

fctiger

I watched the Fresh Baked stream and I'm blown away about how BIG everything looks. We been looking down on this spot for years now, we know the scale. But to see people actually walking through it just really amazes me. This is on TDS level of theming. Everything is so massive and detailed its incredible. I'm trying (futilely) not to spoil myself on everything before I see it in twelve days but I just can't help it. It really does look like its on another world entirely. This is now part of DL for probably all our lifetimes. I remember when 7 years ago I didn't think it would get any bigger than CL lol. That land looks a step down compared to what I seen here and its still an incredible land.

I can't believe I'll be walking through it in a few weeks from now.

djkidkaz

I noticed in videos that none of the ships throughout the land seem to have steam coming from them or any life to them. It’s like they are all parked and turned off looking like a display rather than a ship that has just landed and is “cooling down by releasing steam from its jets”, etc.

I also noticed someone mention about the lack of music for the area which I have to agree. There should be more music in this land as you walk. The Star Wars themes are a huge part of the franchise and to not have those playing in the background is a huge misstep.

DisneyRoy

I noticed in videos that none of the ships throughout the land seem to have steam coming from them or any life to them. It’s like they are all parked and turned off looking like a display rather than a ship that has just landed and is “cooling down by releasing steam from its jets”, etc.

I also noticed someone mention about the lack of music for the area which I have to agree. There should be more music in this land as you walk. The Star Wars themes are a huge part of the franchise and to not have those playing in the background is a huge misstep.

From reports, the Millennium Falcon has steam that comes out from underneath the ship as seen in the movies. And there is John Williams music in the background of the park as well as ambient Star Wars sounds that you can hear. Cast Member previews have stated these facts.

DisneyRoy

RotR is going to be tamer than Indy.

Remember all those in the know folks saying SR was going to blow Star Tours away? Panels would move to show more screen, huge motion.

We got a ride with a lower height restriction than ST and video game graphics (which we were told would be like 24k coming from like 8 video cards).

Yes. It's a totally different ride vehicle. One that is a "car" with multiple axes of movement vs a trackless vehicle. No one would argue that point. But the full-size AT'AT's and Kylo Ren interactions and the "drop return to Batuu" will bring the ride together to make it an amazing feat of Imagineering.

Why does height restriction matter? The vehicles are different. In Star Tours you are buckled into a long row of seats with little to hold on to. In SR you have one seat so you are more firmly planted in your seat. The amount of motion isn't what determined the height restriction here.

I don't know what the resolution is, but it's high. It's very high. And there are 8 video cards in SLI configuration making that video. The video is not rendered ON THE FLY and not pre-rendered. That is a HUGE difference in required video power. The fact that Imagineering pulled that off with the quality they have says what a great job they have done with this. Whether you agree or not does not matter.

DeletedAccount55555

Here’s some reviews from some sources who usually have nothing but praise for Disney...

Sounds like my predictions in regards to the ride experience were pretty spot on. Not trying to give myself too much credit though as we had enough information between the height requirement, video game renderings and brief description of rider roles/ seat configuration that it should have been fairly obvious.

This is a ride for a cross section of Star Wars nerds and some gamers who will be so absolutely mesmerized by everything else that they don’t care what actually happens in the cockpit. They’re just happy to be in it.

Oh well, there’s always ROTR, if they can get the thing to work.

Don’t oversell those reviews. They’re mildly critical at best.

But I’d chuckle if Disney’s biggest foray into an interactive, video game-like ride experience is met with frustration from the greater public. Like they learn they really didn’t want all that interactivity.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Just saw a full queue video of Smuggler's Run. Very lame queue by the way. Indy's is still the best but here are some things that really stood out to me as being done badly. The transition into the falcon from the space body shop is horribly done. One minute you are in the the space auto shop talking to Hondo then you turn a corner and all of a sudden you are in a jetway and when you step in the jetway THE IMMERSION IS INSTANTLY RUINED because you can see other falcon hallways people will enter as you enter a different one indicating there is more than one falcon right off the bat. This is supposed to be the one and only falcon right? So how is it i am looking at 2 the second I am about to walk on the falcon?? You set up the outside of the queue with the main physical flacon, have us walk behind it in awe and the second we are about to step into it you automatically ruin your own illussion and reveal this is a ride by seeing more than one falcon?? Why???? Also the story of how Hondo gets the falcon is soo rushed and horribly explained. You see the falcon show up behind him with no story of who is currently flying it to this area so we can board it. If someone else is flying it already, why does Hondo need us as a flight crew? We need to see the falcon leave the queue exterior where it is parked and follow it to where we board it. This is just common sense. The chess room is ok but it waaay to big and the seats around the chess board are made of the same material as mickey's furniture in his house in toon town. Hard as a rock and it takes you out of it because it looks fake and not like a real couch. Plus no projections on the chess board to make us think we are playing chess. The chess board is one of the most iconic moments in ALL OF STAR WARS because people want to play the holographic chess. All you do is push light up buttons as if playing the game Simon. Add a projection to show on the chess board of the classic chess pieces at least. Again it is a MISTAKE to have more than one flight crew in the chess room story wise. So if i see another group go before me why does Hondo need my group and what am i doing when they are flying? why am I chilling in a room on the same ship and feel none of their movements? Or feel the damage? If they total the ship does my group have to wait until ita fixed before i go? If not and their mission was a success why does Hondo need me? Huh? Also there are 2 doors to enter the cockpitt?? So you chill and watch hondo on a tv outside the cockpitt door then that door opens to reveal the actual cockpitt door and a Hondo mechanic(cast member) who lets you in the room. So Hondo added a extra door when there never was one before and it and the tv are suddenly snapped by Thanos out of existence before RISE OF SKYWALKER by Chewie or Lando? Huh???? And after seeing more ride Povs the thing has very less movement than star tours does and it looks too much like a video game it ruins the immersion. This ride is not E ticket more like C or D. I really hope I am wrong and when I go on it I end up falling in love with it and the experience but just going off what I have seen it looks fake and cheap. I am not hating for haters sake. But these are very real complaints. They easily could have made a better way to enter the falcon and dome SOMETHIMG with the ramp. Oh and the exit looks horrible. Not even a hallway its like you exit out some random room into a jetway and based on the damage you did you hear some electric sounds and some lights blinking. Seems like a wasted opportunity. Hopefully ROTR turns out better. I will say the Hondo AA is very impreseive but its movements make it easy to tell its a robot. The shaman in Nagi River Journey is still the best because its movements are soo life like. And the Belle AA we've seen from the Beauty and Beast ride preview looks more real just for the emotions it displays in the face alone. Hondo is good but not the best. And i still do not care about who Hondo is

Last edited:

Rista1313

I can get motion sickness - but had no issues on the falcon (rode it 3x's), but I was also fine on FoP in AK

So forgive me for asking, as I'm not usually part of this group, but how would you say the Jerkiness of the ride is? Say for someone with a bad back? Any word on how/if DAS pass will work in the new land when it first opens?

DisneyRoy

Just saw a full queue video of Smuggler's Run. Very lame queue by the way. Indy's is still the best but here are some things that really stood out to me as being done badly. The transition into the falcon from the space body shop is horribly done. One minute you are in the the space auto shop talking to Hondo then you turn a corner and all of a sudden you are in a jetway and when you step in the jetway THE IMMERSION IS INSTANTLY RUINED because you can see other falcon hallways people will enter as you enter a different one indicating there is more than one falcon right off the bat. This is supposed to be the one and only falcon right? So how is it i am looking at 2 the second I am about to walk on the falcon?? You set up the outside of the queue with the main physical flacon, have us walk behind it in awe and the second we are about to step into it you automatically ruin your own illussion and reveal this is a ride by seeing more than one falcon?? Why???? Also the story of how Hondo gets the falcon is soo rushed and horribly explained. You see the falcon show up behind him with no story of who is currently flying it to this area so we can board it. If someone else is flying it already, why does Hondo need us as a flight crew? We need to see the falcon leave the queue exterior where it is parked and follow it to where we board it. This is just common sense. The chess room is ok but it waaay to big and the seats around the chess board are made of the same material as mickey's furniture in his house in toon town. Hard as a rock and it takes you out of it because it looks fake and not like a real couch. Plus no projections on the chess board to make us think we are playing chess. The chess board is one of the most iconic moments in ALL OF STAR WARS because people want to play the holographic chess. All you do is push light up buttons as if playing the game Simon. Add a projection to show on the chess board of the classic chess pieces at least. Again it is a MISTAKE to have more than one flight crew in the chess room story wise. So if i see another group go before me why does Hondo need my group and what am i doing when they are flying? why am I chilling in a room on the same ship and feel none of their movements? Or feel the damage? If they total the ship does my group have to wait until ita fixed before i go? If not and their mission was a success why does Hondo need me? Huh? Also there are 2 doors to enter the cockpitt?? So you chill and watch hondo on a tv outside the cockpitt door then that door opens to reveal the actual cockpitt door and a Hondo mechanic(cast member) who lets you in the room. So Hondo added a extra door when there never was one before and it and the tv are suddenly snapped by Thanos out of existence before RISE OF SKYWALKER by Chewie or Lando? Huh???? And after seeing more ride Povs the thing has very less movement than star tours does and it looks too much like a video game it ruins the immersion. This ride is not E ticket more like C or D. I really hope I am wrong and when I go on it I end up falling in love with it and the experience but just going off what I have seen it looks fake and cheap. I am not hating for haters sake. But these are very real complaints. They easily could have made a better way to enter the falcon and dome SOMETHIMG with the ramp. Oh and the exit looks horrible. Not even a hallway its like you exit out some random room into a jetway and based on the damage you did you hear some electric sounds and some lights blinking. Seems like a wasted opportunity. Hopefully ROTR turns out better. I will say the Hondo AA is very impreseive but its movements make it easy to tell its a robot. The shaman in Nagi River Journey is still the best because its movements are soo life like. And the Belle AA we've seen from the Beauty and Beast ride preview looks more real just for the emotions it displays in the face alone. Hondo is good but not the best. And i still do not care about who Hondo is

Wow....why can't you just ever enjoy something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom