News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Rich T

The vast majority will be happy that it’s the freaking Millennium Falcon and not a boxy Starspeeder 3000. A very small fraction will be disappointed that it will be Kylo walking around and not Vader.
I am 100% certain Darth Vader will be walking around Galaxy's Edge within two years.
(EDIT)
Along with Princess Leia-Elsa and Han Lightyear.

VJ

A problem with a lot of “nerd culture” focused news YouTube channels (especially ones that are based off one specific franchise) is that they feel the need to rush out content quickly, done with no research and no script while also stretching out very minor news. I expect within a week all the big Star Wars “news” channels to have at least one clickbaity video about SWGE with titles such as such as:
MILLENNIUM FALCON Gives BIG FU For RIDING It?!?!?!
$200 LIGHTSABER DOESN’T CHOP ARMS OFf?!?!.
KATHLEEN KENNEDY SLIGHTLY DISAPPOINTED OF STAR WARS THEME PARK?!?!
STAR WARS THEME PARK HAS LONG LINE?!? WHO WOULDVE THOUGHT?!?!
DI$NEY P***ING OVER GEORGE LUCAS’S DEAD BODY BY NOT INCLUDING JAR JAR BINKS!!!!
those are like every other post in the GE threads here..

Old Mouseketeer

The vast majority will be happy that it’s the freaking Millennium Falcon and not a boxy Starspeeder 3000. A very small fraction will be disappointed that it will be Kylo walking around and not Vader.

I really have mixed feelings about these issues. I enjoy the immersive nature of Potter, Pandora, and SW:GE, but I'm not sure I require it to enjoy these stories brought to life. I have watched Disneyland evolve since the early '60s. I was a huge Disney nerd since I was in grade school. I spent dozens of hours at the Anaheim Library once it became a depository for the Disney Archives in the early '70s.

The idea that an entire land with multiple attractions has a cohesive backstory is enjoyable to me, but not essential. I have no problem with the liberties taken with the Falcon interior. Walking up the ramp to enter the ship is just not possible--it was hard enough for the actors. The fact that the interior as filmed couldn't physically fit in the exterior shell renders any purist requirements moot for me. I wish they had done a better job with the docking ring and boarding the ship. But the size of the chess room and the corridor configuration to accommodate three cockpit boarding positions works just fine for me. I'M INSIDE THE FREAKING FALCON!!!

I think I would have been fine with a generic "Star Wars Land" that took a more generalized approach, with different attractions set in various places and times. Hell, I wish they had turned Epcot Future World into SWL and made Spaceship Earth into the Death Star--I think it would have been amazing. And they could have repurposed Body Wars into Star Tours.

My impression of SW:GE remains that it's an amazing experience and I think it will be even better when RotR opens. I'm looking forward to visiting again after everything gets settled in. The CMs need weeks, if not months, to adjust to their themed patter (this is what friends who have worked attractions have told me). The characters walking around are adjusting to doing atmosphere work instead of Meet & Greet (and it's very different for the performers). I think it will be a huge success, but I won't be surprised if there are changes that have to be made. I'm unclear as to how successful the Disney Play app will be in all this. And I wonder how well the marketplace with it's small individual stalls will handle the crowds. I think our opinions will be very different in the weeks to come--even my own, given that I have only experienced it for four hours in preview conditions, including limited crowds (which was heaven).

I'm just sorry that I'm probably not going to get to visit again any time soon (probably at least the fall). I had a great time and can't wait to do it again, over and over.

Bright Suns, friends!

captveg

It was also a very forgettable cash-grab with a nothing plot, no interesting original ideas and forgettable characters (they had potential... that went nowhere in the next film). The public was so hungry for a non-prequel SW film that it could have starred Toucan Sam and Cap'n Crunch and still made a boatload of money.

SW:GE will eventually revert to classic trilogy lore. I PREDICT! :D

Not for the under-30 crowd, who are the generation that Disney is more concerned with. The 40+ crowd (myself included) is gonna die off first, ya know?

I expect them to do OT centered events now and again. I expect them to do PT events now and then in the future, too. The land was made fairly malleable in that regard. Really, only ROTR is gonna be strongly tied to the ST.

Rich T

Not for the under-30 crowd, who are the generation that Disney is more concerned with. The 40+ crowd (myself included) is gonna die off first, ya know?

I expect them to do OT centered events now and again. I expect them to do PT events now and then in the future, too. The land was made fairly malleable in that regard. Really, only ROTR is gonna be strongly tied to the ST.
As a 60+ DL fan, thank you for the cold slap of reality! :D Yet, I think all ages can appreciate good storytelling enough to work out which films are the better ones in the long run. I totally agree regarding the "malleable" aspect: The land's ability to adapt to popular SW trends (or distance itself from flops) was a brilliant design choice.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Remember, most people visiting SW and looking for Luke, Leia and Han aren't stupid. They're normal people with lives. Most guests visiting SWGE will not be hardcore SW nerds or theme park geeks. They'll be families on vacation. Most people watch a SW film and then get on with their lives. They don't dwell on backstories, make-believe history or the ins and outs of film making. When they go to "Star Wars Land," they expect to see Darth Vader, light sabers, the Milenium Falcon, Chewbacca and stormtroopers. They expect the rides to be fun and worth waiting in line for.

I expect, depending on how much merchandise future films sell, the land will grown more and more mainstream, to the point where, eventually, it will mainly reference the original classic trilogy and all its iconic imagery.
The backstory and attention to detail makes the land immersive. Otherwise you could just build both rides in warehouse size buildings and call it a day (Guardians of the Universe of Energy...I’m talking about you;))

In this case, both rides are linked heavily to the location. They could alter that in the future but it won’t be a quick change out. At DHS at least it’s a lot more likely that they keep GE as-is and just add or keep additional SW themed attractions and/or parades outside of GE. They could continue the stage shows with Vader and marching stormtroopers and they didn’t build an area for Jedi Training in GE and that’s wildly popular so there will likely be some SW stuff outside of GE where the classics will live. I didn’t believe this would be the approach either, but the land is open and it looks like that’s the way it’s being handled.

Surferboy567

TONIGHT is the NIGHT! The night we have been waiting for since 2017! I’m so incredibly excited to consume every piece of content I can from Galaxy’s Edge...still haven’t seen anything aside from an Iger CNBC interview though. It’s to early to expect it I guess. Excited for the dedication!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
While I really want to soak all of this in, I think I'm going to go into blackout mode until next week when I get to see the land in person. I really want to see everything for the first time then.

DeletedAccount55555

Why would I believe these overly negative reviews that sound like the same people who review-bombed Last Jedi before its release?

They passed judgment on the film without actually seeing it. What’s stopping them from pretending they were CMs and saw the land if their goal is to crap on anything to do with the new trilogy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom