News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Ismael Flores

Very helpful, thanks. I imagine once you know where the buttons are, you won't have to look at them and can focus on the screen. It would take me a few rides to remember them. It sounds like the gamers have the edge on picking this up more quickly than someone like me, who rarely plays video games.

i think you will be ok, i am not a gamer and have never owned a game device at home.

Ismael Flores

Is anyone else just extremely impressed with the Dok-Ondar figure? I was not expecting that! He is so cool, how he turns and stands up... His gill flap things.. LOVE.

That animatronic is amazing. One person in my group actually thought it was a human wearing a costume until he started noticing the movements in the face and asked me if it was real or not

Disney Analyst

That animatronic is amazing. One person in my group actually thought it was a human wearing a costume until he started noticing the movements in the face and asked me if it was real or not

Everyone was going on about Hondo (who looks awesome, but his mouth doesn't quite work for me...), but Dok-Ondar is just to neat. Probably my fav figure in the land.

Ismael Flores

OK, found that. Does look limited in selection. Definitely not like the massive tables of food at WDW events. Hot dogs and blue "milk", and a few small cocktails

They actually had all the food available in the land for them.

Instead of serving them in plates they used themed containers. For example the ribs came in glass jars. They did try not to add tables in the land to avoid theming clash so instead they had castmembers with trays walking around offering the foods as well as the food placed for self serving in the eating areas.

The cantina had the appetizers available and all the drinks for them to take as much as they wanted

Ismael Flores

Everyone was going on about Hondo (who looks awesome, but his mouth doesn't quite work for me...), but Dok-Ondar is just to neat. Probably my fav figure in the land.

oh yes i had them confused, I didn't get to see Dok Ondar quite well. The store was a bit busy with people buying light sabers there.
speaking of buying, i was a bit dissapointed in the merchandise. i had hoped to see more statues and stuff that look like relics. Some of the decor and statues around the land would have made cool souvenirs

WildRide

Has there been any indication whether the reservation system will extend past June or whenever the current date range is? I'll be there with a group in September and am trying to plan ahead.

Bongocrab88

Has there been any indication whether the reservation system will extend past June or whenever the current date range is? I'll be there with a group in September and am trying to plan ahead.

I would say the likelihood of this exact same reservation system being extended past June would be incredibly low. Disney will assume that people like yourself will be planning on making travel plans to visit without the reservation restriction in place.

I would count on it being free to the public as planned and they will implement the virtual que to enter the land once they reach a set capacity. I don't believe we have concrete details just yet.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would say the likelihood of this exact same reservation system being extended past June would be incredibly low. Disney will assume that people like yourself will be planning on making travel plans to visit without the reservation restriction in place.

I would count on it being free to the public as planned and they will implement the virtual que to enter the land once they reach a set capacity. I don't believe we have concrete details just yet.
Its been publicly stated by Disney that for Disneyland the reservation system ends June 23rd. And that a virtual queuing system will be used starting June 24th in order to get into the land in order to manage demand.

For more information please view the following:

Old Mouseketeer

After having some time to mull over my experience on Smuggler's Run I have come to believe that you have to actually experience it. It is a lot to take in. It's different than FoP or Star Tours. I'm convinced that it's the totality of the experience. It's not how much you are influencing the outcome--it's definitely on a virtual track. It's about the immersion and the participation. What happens with the motion and the screen is only part of the feedback--a lot of it is in Hondo's dialog directing you. It happens fast and the point isn't whether you can see everything on the screen or if the visual is as high a quality as Soarin', FoP, or Star Tours. The excitement comes from the combination of the visuals, the motion (which is really good), Hondo's dialog, the activity with things lighting up and sounds going off, and the environment of being in THE COCKPIT OF THE FREAKING MILLENIUM FALCON!!!!

Walking into the cockpit is amazing. So much of the experience is very recognizable. I don't think they could have done a better job of creating a believable Falcon interior, given the realities they had to deal with. Let's remember some realities in converting the Falcon to a theme park attraction:
  1. The movie interior sets won't physically fit into the exterior set of the Millenium Falcon.
  2. Actually walking up the ramp is a no-go. It's too steep and the head clearance is too low. It simply could not be used in a theme park attraction under applicable codes.
  3. It would take way too much space to build six falcon interiors to feed four turntables and two ADA cockpits.
  4. The adjustments to the physical space are all mostly justified: expanding the chess room, adding a new bulkhead and door just past the left turn to the cockpit and another on the other side as you exit, the "back way" into the second cockpit hallway and the ADA cockpit. As I suspected, the disorientation of circling around the back way makes that path plausible.
  5. They had to create a backstory of why you are piloting the Falcon. I'm sure they looked at many scenarios. Piloting it for the Resistance would have weakened the emphasis on Black Spire Outpost operating under the noses of the First Order garrison. Renting it from Hertz Rent-a-Ship would be too much like Star Tours. Using Hondo and emphasizing the smuggler part of the story invokes the history of Han Solo.
  6. A couple of things I thought were less than perfect were the actual entry from the spaceport into the Falcon through the portside docking ring--I thought it was less effective than some of the queue for FoP, and the shortened exit hall to the starboardside docking ring where the ramp would be located.
What I want to say to people who have not ridden yet is that video or descriptions can't do it justice. It is designed to be experienced, even more than FoP. I rode FoP three times on my visit last fall and it more than lived up to my expectations--but those expectations were closely related to what I felt riding it. Smuggler's Run is a different proposition. I thought I captured the excitement I felt boarding the cockpit and participating in my two missions, but let me reiterate that it was an incredible experience. I definitely enjoyed it more the second time and I have talked to CMs who have ridden it 4-6 times and enjoyed it more every time. There is just so much to take in.

I remember the first time I rode it's a small world when I was 11. I used the tickets my parents gave me to ride it three more times! It was unlike anything I had ever seen. If I were visiting SW:GE for the first time with ticket books, I would use every E-ticket I had to ride Smuggler's Run as many times as I could. If I were seeing the land for the first time under regular conditions (i.e., no time constraints) I might not leave the area for the entire time I was there that day. There's definitely more to do than Pandora, even though there are individual details I like better in Pandora.

What I want to say to everyone who hasn't visited Batuu yet is that it's better than any description, pictures, or video can convey. And specifically, MF:SR is more than the sum of its parts. The most important thing I can tell you is how much I can't wait to go back.

Old Mouseketeer

and for the record... the mine train cottage 7 dwarves and snow white dancing scene has to be one the best AA experiences ive ever seen at WDW

I thought so, too. That was my initial impression. I think I read online that the figures were taken from the original Snow White ride at WDW. I thought it was truly magical. And the sound cue of "Heigh Ho" going up the lift at the end of the Dwarves' mine made me LOL!

Hawg G

After having some time to mull over my experience on Smuggler's Run I have come to believe that you have to actually experience it. It is a lot to take in. It's different than FoP or Star Tours. I'm convinced that it's the totality of the experience. It's not how much you are influencing the outcome--it's definitely on a virtual track. It's about the immersion and the participation. What happens with the motion and the screen is only part of the feedback--a lot of it is in Hondo's dialog directing you. It happens fast and the point isn't whether you can see everything on the screen or if the visual is as high a quality as Soarin', FoP, or Star Tours. The excitement comes from the combination of the visuals, the motion (which is really good), Hondo's dialog, the activity with things lighting up and sounds going off, and the environment of being in THE COCKPIT OF THE FREAKING MILLENIUM FALCON!!!!

Walking into the cockpit is amazing. So much of the experience is very recognizable. I don't think they could have done a better job of creating a believable Falcon interior, given the realities they had to deal with. Let's remember some realities in converting the Falcon to a theme park attraction:
  1. The movie interior sets won't physically fit into the exterior set of the Millenium Falcon.
  2. Actually walking up the ramp is a no-go. It's too steep and the head clearance is too low. It simply could not be used in a theme park attraction under applicable codes.
  3. It would take way too much space to build six falcon interiors to feed four turntables and two ADA cockpits.
  4. The adjustments to the physical space are all mostly justified: expanding the chess room, adding a new bulkhead and door just past the left turn to the cockpit and another on the other side as you exit, the "back way" into the second cockpit hallway and the ADA cockpit. As I suspected, the disorientation of circling around the back way makes that path plausible.
  5. They had to create a backstory of why you are piloting the Falcon. I'm sure they looked at many scenarios. Piloting it for the Resistance would have weakened the emphasis on Black Spire Outpost operating under the noses of the First Order garrison. Renting it from Hertz Rent-a-Ship would be too much like Star Tours. Using Hondo and emphasizing the smuggler part of the story invokes the history of Han Solo.
  6. A couple of things I thought were less than perfect were the actual entry from the spaceport into the Falcon through the portside docking ring--I thought it was less effective than some of the queue for FoP, and the shortened exit hall to the starboardside docking ring where the ramp would be located.
What I want to say to people who have not ridden yet is that video or descriptions can't do it justice. It is designed to be experienced, even more than FoP. I rode FoP three times on my visit last fall and it more than lived up to my expectations--but those expectations were closely related to what I felt riding it. Smuggler's Run is a different proposition. I thought I captured the excitement I felt boarding the cockpit and participating in my two missions, but let me reiterate that it was an incredible experience. I definitely enjoyed it more the second time and I have talked to CMs who have ridden it 4-6 times and enjoyed it more every time. There is just so much to take in.

I remember the first time I rode it's a small world when I was 11. I used the tickets my parents gave me to ride it three more times! It was unlike anything I had ever seen. If I were visiting SW:GE for the first time with ticket books, I would use every E-ticket I had to ride Smuggler's Run as many times as I could. If I were seeing the land for the first time under regular conditions (i.e., no time constraints) I might not leave the area for the entire time I was there that day. There's definitely more to do than Pandora, even though there are individual details I like better in Pandora.

What I want to say to everyone who hasn't visited Batuu yet is that it's better than any description, pictures, or video can convey. And specifically, MF:SR is more than the sum of its parts. The most important thing I can tell you is how much I can't wait to go back.

We get it, you love Smugglers Run, and everyone who doesn't just hasn't ridden yet

ThistleMae

Thank you for this. This is a great summary of whole experience, which seems to be hard to describe from the other reviews I've read. Your review definitely makes me far more interested in this attraction. I'm hoping I will be able to get a Max Pass in November and ride multiple times.

The Grand Inquisitor

We get it, you love Smugglers Run, and everyone who doesn't just hasn't ridden yet
Seriously bro.... Can you be any more negative.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As a review thread for those who attended, the discussion of Harkos is better suited and has begun here...

The Grand Inquisitor

As a review thread for those who attended, the discussion of Harkos is better suited and has begun here...

Ok thanks ! I get confused about which thread to discuss stuff 😅

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom