News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

captveg

I've been trying to watch these lightsaber-building videos, but that opening speech by the cast members... yeesh!

EDIT: And that final speech... ugh, sorry cast members. I appreciate what you're trying to do. But the 'dramatic' acting isn't good enough.

It suffers from the same over-pronunciation that the Ollivanders presentation does at WWoHP. A little more subtlety / straightforward style would be less corny.

Last edited:

britain

There's also something amoral that's diluting the sauce.

It's hard to get truly inspirational when they are saying mumbo jumbo "The Jedi and the Sith of the past are reborn today because of your spark!"

Have we become so agnostic a society (or simply too greedy for profits from dark side merchandise) that we can't say things like "Good triumphs over Evil" ? It's odd to have the disemodied voice of Yoda congratulating the group on their sabers when that group includes wee li'l Sith kids.

If you want to sell red sabers, couldn't there be a dark side version of this whole process somewhere else?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

It's hard to get truly inspirational when they are saying mumbo jumbo "The Jedi and the Sith of the past are reborn today because of your spark!"

Have we become so agnostic a society (or simply too greedy for profits from dark side merchandise) that we can't say things like "Good triumphs over Evil" ? It's odd to have the disemodied voice of Yoda congratulating the group on their sabers when that group includes wee li'l Sith kids.

If you want to sell red sabers, couldn't there be a dark side version of this whole process somewhere else?
Well we just have to hope those choosing the Sith blades become Gray Jedi....

Furiated

I've been trying to watch these lightsaber-building videos, but that opening speech by the cast members... yeesh!

EDIT: And that final speech... ugh, sorry cast members. I appreciate what you're trying to do. But the 'dramatic' acting isn't good enough.

THANK YOU! My gf and I were watching some of the videos of it and that opening speech is laughably bad. Cringe worthy. And like you said, the acting is also not good.

The acting part might get better with time (maybe borrow some Jungle Cruise CMs) but man, that script has to go!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Uh huh, but just try to spin that in bright, optimistic language and you’ve got a muddled mess.

Hence this agnostic lightsaber show.
I'm sure I could come up with something that is bright and optimistic while still being neutral.

I've avoided videos of the show just cause I want to do it myself. But if I watch it I'll see if I can come with something that blends the light with the dark so you have shades of Gray....

SSG

In the old canon, a very few Jedi used used red blades, Adi Gallia probably was the best known.

wityblack

I know some people made more than one reservation, where they were main member for one slot and a party member for another. Has that worked for people? Any problems?

captveg

This is the one theming issue as-adjusted for the parks that I generally agree with. At least have the dialogue state that they hope those who chose the path of the Sith will reorient their efforts for the good side of the force in the future, or something along those lines. People who choose Sith stuff are doing so to have fun with it, so they would surely have fun with being needled/slightly reprimanded for choosing the Dark Side.

britain

This is the one theming issue as-adjusted for the parks that I generally agree with. At least have the dialogue state that they hope those who chose the path of the Sith will reorient their efforts for the good side of the force in the future. People who choose Sith stuff are doing so to have fun with it, so they would surely have fun with being needled/slightly reprimanded for choosing the Dark Side.

Good point. I suppose we should be grateful that aside from First Order Cargo, WDI didn’t go all “Disney Villain crazy” for the Star Wars baddies.

Plus, I think Rise of the Resistance will definitely take a stand for good against evil.

Hawg G

This is the one theming issue as-adjusted for the parks that I generally agree with. At least have the dialogue state that they hope those who chose the path of the Sith will reorient their efforts for the good side of the force in the future, or something along those lines. People who choose Sith stuff are doing so to have fun with it, so they would surely have fun with being needled/slightly reprimanded for choosing the Dark Side.

HP sells lots of Slytherin stuff. Disney seems afraid to embrace selling full on Sith stuff, and letting people role-play on the dark side in the parks. I recall a video of a little girl bowing to Vader, instead of fighting him at Jedi Academy. She was quickly taken off stage, and Vader didn't acknowledge her.

captveg

HP sells lots of Slytherin stuff. Disney seems afraid to embrace selling full on Sith stuff, and letting people role-play on the dark side in the parks. I recall a video of a little girl bowing to Vader, instead of fighting him at Jedi Academy. She was quickly taken off stage, and Vader didn't acknowledge her.

To be fair, Slytherin isn't outright evil, even if those that are evil often come from that house. But there's a lot of Slytherin students that aren't trying to rule the world. Sith, on the other hand, are nothing but genocidal world-domineering baddies.

I remember that video, too. It was awesome, but I get why Disney isn't keen on Dark Lord worship. I don't think Universal would be all too keen to have little kids bowing to Voldemort in WWHP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom