News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

DanielBB8

So, now you're claiming victory after you called, showed your cards with a straight, and he showed his cards and had a flush? And you wonder why people decide to stop discussing with you?
That didn’t happen at all but you’re welcome to your version of the events. To fix your analogy, he folded.

Monorail_Orange

That didn’t happen at all but you’re welcome to your version of the events. To fix your analogy, he folded.

Mac Tonight

I didn't fold... I just simply don't have the free time (or the desire) to sit here and do a math exam for you.

Let me just remind you of my original point, which is that, using only B.O. success to claim that the prequel trilogy didn't kill the franchise because "they made good money", doesn't work in further claiming that the sequel trilogy with its over $3 billion global B.O. is actively killing the franchise.

If you want to argue that the sequel trilogy is in fact killing the brand, by all means go ahead. But I'd maybe dredge up some new evidence.

truecoat

It's not only the reshoots. Have you heard the leaked plotting? I wonder what they are trying to fix.

1. Rey might be granddaughter of Palpatine.
2. Time traveling Rey might be grandmother of Luke.

You really need to add a spoiler tag when you post things like this regardless of whether they are true or not. See how easily I did it to your quote?

DanielBB8

I didn't fold... I just simply don't have the free time (or the desire) to sit here and do a math exam for you.

Let me just remind you of my original point, which is that, using only B.O. success to claim that the prequel trilogy didn't kill the franchise because "they made good money", doesn't work in further claiming that the sequel trilogy with its over $3 billion global B.O. is actively killing the franchise.

If you want to argue that the sequel trilogy is in fact killing the brand, by all means go ahead. But I'd maybe dredge up some new evidence.
Making good money isn’t merely box office, it includes merchandising. Disney Star Wars isn’t selling in both box office and merchandising. Consumer spending was due to latest Toy Story movie merchandising that made up for the decline in Star Wars. That’s what is meant by the Star Wars brand that also includes the franchise for theme parks too, which there little demand for Galaxy’s Edge Batuu.

You introduced the Box Office receipts to talk down the prequels. That’s fine, but the prequels did quite well and when you include production and marketing, it clearly outperformed the 2 sequels thus far. It is very possible for Rise of Skywalker to succeed and beat all expectations.

Okay, keep dredging, but you haven’t even acknowledged you done your math while making new assertions.

TP2000

My last fly on the falcon, a nerdy dude was asked how many in his party. He giddily responded in character “One for the freight elevator!!”

The cast member looked at him dumbly. “Sorry, what?”

Still happy to speak Batuu, the dude says it again- “one for the freight elevator please!”

She doesn’t even say anything back when his poor face drops and he says “one for ADA.”

Bright suns! Can’t wait for Universal to whip up a Harry Potter hotel!!!

Oh, no. That just makes me sad, almost breaks my heart. :(

I can poke fun at the neckbeard bloggers from the safety of my computer screen, but a CM should always be kind and try to play along. That poor guy was trying to be part of the fun, and she ruined it for him. No excuse for that! I want to find that guy and go buy him a drink and a charcuterie plate at the Cantina and let him tell me all about what trilogy he likes best.

It's CM's like that girl who should just go work at Weinerschnitzel or WalMart and stare blankly at the world before they go back to staring blankly at their phone while life passes them by.

That said, based on the CM behavior and bored performance I saw myself in late June on an uncrowded evening, I am not surprised. The CM's in Star Wars Land, regardless of the PR BS that Mr. Chapek tried to shovel into a trough for the media this summer, do not each have "a story". They are the same CM's working at Award Weiners or The Gag Factory or Autopia; some are good, many are not, none are pulling me into any "story".

Mac Tonight

Making good money isn’t merely box office, it includes merchandising. Disney Star Wars isn’t selling in both box office and merchandising. Consumer spending was due to latest Toy Story movie merchandising that made up for the decline in Star Wars. That’s what is meant by the Star Wars brand that also includes the franchise for theme parks too, which there little demand for Galaxy’s Edge Batuu.

You introduced the Box Office receipts to talk down the prequels. That’s fine, but the prequels did quite well and when you include production and marketing, it clearly outperformed the 2 sequels thus far. It is very possible for Rise of Skywalker to succeed and beat all expectations.

Okay, keep dredging, but you haven’t even acknowledged you done your math while making new assertions.
Yeah, I'm gonna need to see your work on this one.
But to make it fair, you can only use 2 of the prequels since we only have 2 sequels.

DanielBB8

Yeah, I'm gonna need to see your work on this one.
But to make it fair, you can only use 2 of the prequels since we only have 2 sequels.
So you want me to go back and redo my calculations to what end? Changing the rules in mid-stream is lazy.

No. I'm sticking only to the trilogies.
Rouge One and Solo cancel each other out.

Even with adjusting for inflation, the prequel movies were less financially successful domestically then TFA and TLJ.
You're still free to not like the sequel trilogy, but you can't say the prequel trilogy didn't harm the franchise because it "made good money" and in the same breath say the sequel trilogy is killing the franchise. The B.O. numbers just aren't in your favor.

Mac Tonight

So you want me to go back and redo my calculations to what end? Changing the rules in mid-stream is lazy.
Changing the rules to make it an even comparison isn't lazy... its fair.
But I can understand you not wanting to do it since it will most likely screw up your results.

Mickeyboof

Oh, no. That just makes me sad, almost breaks my heart. :(

I can poke fun at the neckbeard bloggers from the safety of my computer screen, but a CM should always be kind and try to play along. That poor guy was trying to be part of the fun, and she ruined it for him. No excuse for that! I want to find that guy and go buy him a drink and a charcuterie plate at the Cantina and let him tell me all about what trilogy he likes best.

It's CM's like that girl who should just go work at Weinerschnitzel or WalMart and stare blankly at the world before they go back to staring blankly at their phone while life passes them by.

That said, based on the CM behavior and bored performance I saw myself in late June on an uncrowded evening, I am not surprised. The CM's in Star Wars Land, regardless of the PR BS that Mr. Chapek tried to shovel into a trough for the media this summer, do not each have "a story". They are the same CM's working at Award Weiners or The Gag Factory or Autopia; some are good, many are not, none are pulling me into any "story".

To see the magic leave this guy’s eyes was heartbreaking. Especially in a place *usually* full of wonder.

It reminds me of my own moment- I was standing outside Savi’s with a friend. The courtyard outside the store was absolutely barren. No one there. The CMs were trying to get people to come explore their operation. Those who did wander over truly couldn’t comprehend what “scrap metal” was, and why the CMs were practically winking when they spoke about it.

As I turn to leave, a CM waves me back. She tells me the story of the wishing tree. You tie a ribbon, make a wish, tie a knot. Someday, when the knot breaks and the ribbon floats away the wish will come true.

She was trying so very hard to act out this cute monologue. It was sweet. But then she had the unfortunate position to tell me, no, I could not tie my wish to the tree.

Why even tell me the story then? It’s a real physical thing in arms reach, but like practically everything else in the land there’s an invisible fence around the interesting potentially interactive aspects.

It is not the responsibility of a Cast Member to truly act, with given monologues or scripts. Simply said, there is a very small population on the planet who have the skills and the practice to perform.

An even smaller population have the practice of performing on a stage such as Batuu, where the audience is simultaneously asking where the bathroom is AND seeking meaningful story interactions. Frankly it’s irresponsable and wrong for an employer to put that responsibility on them. For Chapek to put the national spotlight on them with talk of backstories and character development is ridiculous.

TP2000

An even smaller population have the practice of performing on a stage such as Batuu, where the audience is simultaneously asking where the bathroom is AND seeking meaningful story interactions. Frankly it’s irresponsible and wrong for an employer to put that responsibility on them. For Chapek to put the national spotlight on them with talk of backstories and character development is ridiculous.

Oh my gosh, you just hit the nail on the head! That's it exactly, you've put my rambling thoughts over the summer into words that make sense.

And it's exactly why Mr. Chapek's BS talking points with the media about front line CM's with "stories to tell" rubbed me the wrong way, but I couldn't put my finger on it like you just did.

There's a really big part of the overall Star Wars Land problem within all this. And it only shines a brighter light on how out of touch and clueless the current execs in Burbank and WDI are when it comes to how to run a theme park for 50,000 customers per day, staffed primarily by 15,000 non-actors working part time while going to Fullerton Junior College.

Thank you for getting that concept into words so perfectly. :)

Last edited:

Jones14

An even smaller population have the practice of performing on a stage such as Batuu, where the audience is simultaneously asking where the bathroom is AND seeking meaningful story interactions. Frankly it’s irresponsable and wrong for an employer to put that responsibility on them. For Chapek to put the national spotlight on them with talk of backstories and character development is ridiculous.
It's also frustrating because they're not being compensated for their efforts; if the company truly expects each and every cast member to perform at a higher level than in the rest of the park, they should be giving them a pay raise to match the increased expectations.

RobWDW1971

To see the magic leave this guy’s eyes was heartbreaking. Especially in a place *usually* full of wonder.

It reminds me of my own moment- I was standing outside Savi’s with a friend. The courtyard outside the store was absolutely barren. No one there. The CMs were trying to get people to come explore their operation. Those who did wander over truly couldn’t comprehend what “scrap metal” was, and why the CMs were practically winking when they spoke about it.

As I turn to leave, a CM waves me back. She tells me the story of the wishing tree. You tie a ribbon, make a wish, tie a knot. Someday, when the knot breaks and the ribbon floats away the wish will come true.

She was trying so very hard to act out this cute monologue. It was sweet. But then she had the unfortunate position to tell me, no, I could not tie my wish to the tree.

Why even tell me the story then? It’s a real physical thing in arms reach, but like practically everything else in the land there’s an invisible fence around the interesting potentially interactive aspects.

It is not the responsibility of a Cast Member to truly act, with given monologues or scripts. Simply said, there is a very small population on the planet who have the skills and the practice to perform.

Absolutely brilliant post - and in just barely four months you can already see it in the faces of the cast members as many have already abandoned the awkward nonsense as the guests aren't engaged and what they are given to do (in addition to their "day job") is not organic and often silly and embarrassing.

Will be fascinating to see if any of this "immersion" concept is even in play in a couple years.

lifeisgoodboy

It's not only the reshoots. Have you heard the leaked plotting? I wonder what they are trying to fix.

1. Rey might be granddaughter of Palpatine.
2. Time traveling Rey might be grandmother of Luke.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom