News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Mickeyboof

Well take this as you will, it’s from that other site

Some cut happenings of Galaxy’s Edge:

Dok-Ondars - A "curator" was supposed to wander the shop and catalog the items, tell Guests the backstory of the props and merch and tell stories of how the stuff was found or traded or stolen. There were supposed to be interactive props that would have responded to and interacted with the curator cuz WDI was obsessed with Olivanders at USH and the curator would also be able to interact with Dok Ondar animatronic instead of him just sitting alone ignoring everyone.

Mechanic - Across from Droid Depot is a garage parking area with some "speeders" parked. This area was supposed to have a mechanic that ran the garage and fixed up the vehicles. The vehicles and tools were going to be functioning and interactive and be part of the story. The Imagineers were inspired by the Blacksmith shop at Knott's and wanted this mechanic to be very knowledgeable and talk about her skills to people who watched her work. The mechanic was supposed to be a rough and tumble type woman who would have a wild sense of humor - but she would also be part of the Resistance and would talk smack about the First Order while she "wrenched" on the broken down vehicles. She was going to be a saucy gurl!

Oga's Cantina - Oga was actually supposed to exist!!! She would be older just like WDI showed her in early artwork. She would be kind and hospitable to anyone, but she was supposed to be neutral when it comes to the Resistance or First Order so that anyone could go into Oga's and feel okay. She'd know everything about cocktails and recipes and making you feel welcome even if you were a bounty hunter or a bad guy. Oga's was supposed to be a neutral haven when the land story of the Resistance vs. First Order would be more obvious before it all got cut and became boring and lifeless.

Ronto - Ronto Roasters was supposed to have a character who could talk about the alien beasts being barbecued while you waited to order and tell you cooking tips on how to prepare them yourself and what planet to find them on. He was gonna be like a cross between a crazy big game hunter and Gordon Ramsey.

Batuu Band - The dining patio between Ronto's and Docking Bay 7 was supposed to have a live band performing during meal hours. WDI was creating custom wind and string instruments plus a synth and drum kit. The wiring and audio prep for Tech Services was all designed into this space already but Chapek demanded that almost all live entertainment be cut so the band was one of the first to go.

Milk Stand - The milk stand was supposed to have a "dairyman" who would know all about the alien animals that gave the milk and be like a Batuu health nut who would tell you how your health will improve if you drink the various kinds of milk he has. With his big datapad he could show you photos of his favorites animals and the alien meadows they graze in.

Walkarounds - The smaller shops and walkways were supposed to have walkaround aliens and weird townspeople who would walk around, make weird noises, pose for photos and just be bizarro and wild. WDI spent time at ComicCon and were totally inspired to bring that wild vibe to Batuu.

There was supposed to be some others too. This was all in addition to the First Order Attacks stunt show that would have been up on the rooftops and balconies from Oga's to Ronto, plus the autonomous droids and some other live music planned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Green Men

Mechanic - Across from Droid Depot is a garage parking area with some "speeders" parked. This area was supposed to have a mechanic that ran the garage and fixed up the vehicles. The vehicles and tools were going to be functioning and interactive and be part of the story. The Imagineers were inspired by the Blacksmith shop at Knott's and wanted this mechanic to be very knowledgeable and talk about her skills to people who watched her work. The mechanic was supposed to be a rough and tumble type woman who would have a wild sense of humor - but she would also be part of the Resistance and would talk smack about the First Order while she "wrenched" on the broken down vehicles. She was going to be a saucy gurl!
I believe the WDW version has this. At least it did in a few videos I've seen.

TP2000

Dok-Ondars - A "curator" was supposed to wander the shop and catalog the items, tell Guests the backstory of the props and merch and tell stories of how the stuff was found or traded or stolen. There were supposed to be interactive props that would have responded to and interacted with the curator cuz WDI was obsessed with Olivanders at USH and the curator would also be able to interact with Dok Ondar animatronic instead of him just sitting alone ignoring everyone.

Oga's Cantina - Oga was actually supposed to exist!!! She would be older just like WDI showed her in early artwork. She would be kind and hospitable to anyone, but she was supposed to be neutral when it comes to the Resistance or First Order so that anyone could go into Oga's and feel okay. She'd know everything about cocktails and recipes and making you feel welcome even if you were a bounty hunter or a bad guy. Oga's was supposed to be a neutral haven when the land story of the Resistance vs. First Order would be more obvious before it all got cut and became boring and lifeless.

Ronto - Ronto Roasters was supposed to have a character who could talk about the alien beasts being barbecued while you waited to order and tell you cooking tips on how to prepare them yourself and what planet to find them on. He was gonna be like a cross between a crazy big game hunter and Gordon Ramsey.

Batuu Band - The dining patio between Ronto's and Docking Bay 7 was supposed to have a live band performing during meal hours. WDI was creating custom wind and string instruments plus a synth and drum kit. The wiring and audio prep for Tech Services was all designed into this space already but Chapek demanded that almost all live entertainment be cut so the band was one of the first to go.

Milk Stand - The milk stand was supposed to have a "dairyman" who would know all about the alien animals that gave the milk and be like a Batuu health nut who would tell you how your health will improve if you drink the various kinds of milk he has. With his big datapad he could show you photos of his favorites animals and the alien meadows they graze in.

Walkarounds - The smaller shops and walkways were supposed to have walkaround aliens and weird townspeople who would walk around, make weird noises, pose for photos and just be bizarro and wild. WDI spent time at ComicCon and were totally inspired to bring that wild vibe to Batuu.

There was supposed to be some others too. This was all in addition to the First Order Attacks stunt show that would have been up on the rooftops and balconies from Oga's to Ronto, plus the autonomous droids and some other live music planned.

Two thoughts for you;

1. What is this report that we are reading exactly? Was this from a presentation or something? Most of that stuff sounds great! EDIT: Never mind, I found the full original post. I get it now. :)

2. I love your Avatar! That's a wonderful movie and she's a wonderful actress, both are American classics. Raspberries!

Anjin

1. What is this report that we are reading exactly? Was this from a presentation or something? Most of that stuff sounds great!
I had to check myself and this turns out to be from our favorite designated driver who spilled on Magic Happens and some improper employee/manager relations back in April. If nothing else, they are entertaining.

TP2000

I had to check myself and this turns out to be from our favorite designated driver who spilled on Magic Happens and some improper employee/manager relations back in April. If nothing else, they are entertaining.

I think you and I both went and found that at the same time, as I edited my post as you posted this. But that designated driver is certainly the gift that keeps on giving! :D

TP2000

I've seen the blue haired character a few times at Disneyland Galaxy's Edge but she is always just walking around.

She wasn't there in June. But in videos she apparently just wanders around looking nervous, and if you are lucky she goes up to you and says like a short phrase and then keeps walking.

I have no idea what the point is. Maybe it's some sort of viral marketing campaign for Clairol's line of blue hair dye?

I'm probably going back next week when the cool weather arrives. I'm going to look for her and just say "Hi!".

DanielBB8

This is awful. This is not the point of Star Wars.

I have no interest in learning anything about the inhabitants. Advancing the plot of the Jedi or Sith should be the focus. As well as seeing Luke Skywalker or Obiwan’s hideaway.

A store or restaurant should be about getting a quick refreshment, obtaining supplies, and meeting unsavory aliens for information. The store or restaurant itself is of no curiosity unless we seen them in the movie and have a natural emotional attachment to them like the Mos Eisley cantina that you can’t see from walking in. You have to make a reservation and they serve awfully expensive drinks and no food. I wish I could get served drinks in a plain silver cup and order some fried squid tentacles. They missed their mark.

Mickeyboof

This is awful. This is not the point of Star Wars.

I have no interest in learning anything about the inhabitants. Advancing the plot of the Jedi or Sith should be the focus. As well as seeing Luke Skywalker or Obiwan’s hideaway.

A store or restaurant should be about getting a quick refreshment, obtaining supplies, and meeting unsavory aliens for information. The store or restaurant itself is of no curiosity unless we seen them in the movie and have a natural emotional attachment to them like the Mos Eisley cantina that you can’t see from walking in. You have to make a reservation and they serve awfully expensive drinks and no food. I wish I could get served drinks in a plain silver cup and order some fried squid tentacles. They missed their mark.

You should design theme parks!

Also it seems like Bob Chapek agrees with you!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom