News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

mickEblu

From Star Wars.com:

AUGUST 21, 2019

GET TO KNOW THE WORLD OF STAR WARS: GALAXY’S EDGE IN THE STARWARS.COM DATABANK

LEARN ALL ABOUT OGA GARRA, DOK-ONDAR, AND OTHER CHARACTERS, SHIPS, AND LOCATIONS BEFORE YOU STEP INSIDE BLACK SPIRE OUTPOST.
Few have seen Oga Garra, the notorious crime boss, in the flesh, but today StarWars.com has captured an image of the elusive owner of Oga’s Cantina on Batuu.

Oga Garra.

As she remains hidden, don’t expect (or even wish) to cross her path if you make your way to Black Spire Outpost inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the new themed land inside Disneyland Resort and opening August 29 at Walt Disney World Resort. But through the official Databank, we’ve collected some helpful intel to help you navigate this strange new world on the Outer Rim with a primer on some of its most notorious inhabitants, noteworthy ships, and local hotspots.

DJ-R3X

Inside Oga’s Cantina, the music isn’t provided by a live band but rather by a familiar former pilot. DJ R-3X spins the latest hits from around the galaxy.

Dok-Ondar

In contrast to his neighbor, Dok-Ondar has a prominent role at his shop, Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities, where the Ithorian patiently waits for those of refined taste to stop in and negotiate a deal for his rare and sought after merchandise.

The Katooni.

Hondo Ohnaka, the Weequay pirate who was known for kidnapping Jedi during the Clone Wars and working to take down the Empire in the early days of the Rebel Alliance, has reinvented himself once more with Ohnaka Transport Solutions, a perfectly legitimate business, we’re sure. Although he has his own ship, the Katooni, when he’s hiring a new crew for a gig he prefers to borrow someone else’s hunk of junk for the job, including the Millennium Falcon.

Strono “Cookie” Tuggs once held the title of head chef at Maz’s castle on Takodana. But after the First Order arrived, he left to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning his own restaurant and travelled to Batuu to open Tuggs’ Grub, an exotic eatery located inside a modified Sienar-Chall Utilipede Transport.

Black Spire Outpost on Batuu.

The conflict between the Resistance and the First Order has recently come to this far-flung planet, and visitors will no doubt see the first seeds of the struggle. Keep an eye out for Vi Moradi, who has traveled to Batuu under the orders of General Leia Organa, and a Resistance Intersystem Transport Ship (I-TS) as well as an assault shuttle, the First Order TIE echelon and the First Order Short-Range Evacuation Vehicle, or SREV for short.

Lol I love how they made her being “hidden” as part of the story. So immersive! Come ride PirAtes of the Carribean!! But trust us the Pirates are really mean so you re just going to see caves.

SSG

TUGGS’ GRUB SIENAR-CHALL UTILIPEDE TRANSPORT
Strono "Cookie" Tuggs is in much demand for his culinary skills, so he travels from site to site in a modified Sienar-Chall Utilipede Transport that becomes a mobile kitchen and restaurant. His travels across the galaxy allow him to fill his pantry with exotic ingredients that he uses to make new and unusual dishes. The transport is a versatile carrier vessel, with a modular cargo cradle that can support several self-contained modules with built-in life support systems. He is proud to present Tuggs’ Grub, a “traveling diner for diners traveling,” inspired by dishes he created during his time on Takodana.

Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo
At this restaurant housed in a working hangar bay, choose from a variety of dishes prepared with ingredients from across the galaxy—all of it delicious, but none of it familiar. Chef Strono “Cookie” Tuggs has docked a food freighter loaded with fresh supplies and he’s ready to satisfy the appetites of visitors and locals alike with an array of exotic offerings. His planet-hopping travels allow him to prepare fare with unusual flavors that delight customers.
Once you’ve got your grub, sit inside the spacious hangar, or grab a table in the rustic outdoor seating area surrounded by the crumbling walls of the old marketplace.

SSG

Who think that TDA should just take a gamble and start selling alcohol throughout SWGE?

I don't see why they don't just like in DHS in Florida. They can easily serve it in marked cups and have a themed costumed CM at each entrance making sure people do not exit the land with it.
I've said this from the start. It would take pressure off of Oga's. Maybe people could get a seat and stay longer.

EDIT: Disney could add some life to the land with this too. Have a competitor of Oga's selling drinks. Have some shady characters selling the local moonshine out of a cart.

Last edited:

waltography

Huh. I always thought Oga was the woman in the concept art. I would've preferred her too, because then it would've been so easy to have her roam around the Cantina and mingle.

oga-garra-XL.jpg

Monorail_Orange

Ya I swear Disney, here’s one spot where I’ll be completely happy with an immersive parks blog story.

But seriously it’s insulting our intelligence that they even mentioned that in the blog. Why not just not mention it?
My washer has a cycle setting on it for just this purpose! It's called SPIN! :cool:

ETA: And after reading that blog, the spin is only about as fast as a 10k RPM hard drive!

Adventureland Veranda

Ya I swear Disney, here’s one spot where I’ll be completely happy with an immersive parks blog story.

But seriously it’s insulting our intelligence that they even mentioned that in the blog. Why not just not mention it?
It's interesting that Disney got the photo of the elusive Oga standing in front of the new GOTG ride at Epcot. You can't even see the gravity building!

LanceQ

I don’t expect anyone to know anything about references or history....so no foul

Um.....ooookay. But your original post had nothing to do with "history" or "references." Let's talk a look!

...but this ain’t 1978...or 1998...or 2014...

You follow?

no, I don't follow at all. (This is on the subject of the "used" look of SW) Because this isn't 1978, 1998, or 2014, Galaxy's Edge should NOT incorporate the driving aesthetic behind Star Wars from its inception...?

The OT, vast swaths of the PT, TFA, Solo and Rogue One all incorporate the dirty, frontier aesthetic that was memorably established in the original film. So what was your point about that, exactly? You're not making one. Do you think GE should avoid this instaly recognizable tone?

Disney biggest Star Wars mistake is not paying close enough attention to THE mistakes.

Um, this is so vague as to be meaningless. What are THE mistakes? Mistakes of what? In the films? In GE so far? Again, this comment is utterly content-free....

The “narrative” now is that Star Wars fans are just a bunch or impossible to please malcontents.

Not sure whose "narrative" you're talking about. But, there is at least some truth to this. People's feelings over a lifetime of consuming the original SW films often lead to a calcification of opinion, where nothing else will measure up.

I actually agreed with that for about 20 or so years...but recently I realized that I am wrong and so is Disney...George...

Agreed with what? That SW fans are hard to please. You realized you were "wrong" about that, but so is Disney AND George Lucas? Seriously, what are you getting at here? That SW fans are right to complain? No one is saying people can't complain.

But painting the entire fandom with such a broad brush is basically pointless anyway, since there are a million opinions under the suns about how SW is doing these days, so your arguments here again don't really hold much water.

Some fans love the new films, some hate them. Some love some of them and hate others (hi there!) Making this kind of sweeping statement is pointless.

It just takes decent characters and a plausible, coherent story. That was what the OT was even with the ewoks. You didn’t have to roll your eyes too much and it was shot on a grand scale.

Yes, the OT will always be the best SW films. But are you talking about the film franchise now or Galaxy's Edge or everything Disney SW? Just not sure what you're getting at here.

Disney has not only reduced the scale...they haven’t bothered with the characters at all.

Reduced the scale of what? The story? The film franchise? Galaxy's Edge? Which characters? They aren't bothering putting classic characters in Galaxy's Edge or they're failing to give the new films compelling characters?

Just don't know what you're talking about, you seem utterly all over the map here.

Eventually someone will shoot a movie that tries to capture the spirit with basic story elements...not lens flare and “pacing”...

In the officially sanction Disney films? Or in another movie? Still don't know where you're coming from or where you're going. People have been trying to capture the "Star Wars" spirit in movies for over forty years now, sometimes successfully, usually not.

Are you waiting for new filmmakers to take a crack at SW or just hoping to find a new film or franchise that you enjoy as much?

Somehow the fog will clear...I hope

Yeah, um....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Um.....ooookay. But your original post had nothing to do with "history" or "references." Let's talk a look!

no, I don't follow at all. (This is on the subject of the "used" look of SW) Because this isn't 1978, 1998, or 2014, Galaxy's Edge should NOT incorporate the driving aesthetic behind Star Wars from its inception...?

The OT, vast swaths of the PT, TFA, Solo and Rogue One all incorporate the dirty, frontier aesthetic that was memorably established in the original film. So what was your point about that, exactly? You're not making one. Do you think GE should avoid this instaly recognizable tone?

Um, this is so vague as to be meaningless. What are THE mistakes? Mistakes of what? In the films? In GE so far? Again, this comment is utterly content-free....

Not sure whose "narrative" you're talking about. But, there is at least some truth to this. People's feelings over a lifetime of consuming the original SW films often lead to a calcification of opinion, where nothing else will measure up.

Agreed with what? That SW fans are hard to please. You realized you were "wrong" about that, but so is Disney AND George Lucas? Seriously, what are you getting at here? That SW fans are right to complain? No one is saying people can't complain.

But painting the entire fandom with such a broad brush is basically pointless anyway, since there are a million opinions under the suns about how SW is doing these days, so your arguments here again don't really hold much water.

Some fans love the new films, some hate them. Some love some of them and hate others (hi there!) Making this kind of sweeping statement is pointless.

Yes, the OT will always be the best SW films. But are you talking about the film franchise now or Galaxy's Edge or everything Disney SW? Just not sure what you're getting at here.

Reduced the scale of what? The story? The film franchise? Galaxy's Edge? Which characters? They aren't bothering putting classic characters in Galaxy's Edge or they're failing to give the new films compelling characters?

Just don't know what you're talking about, you seem utterly all over the map here.

In the officially sanction Disney films? Or in another movie? Still don't know where you're coming from or where you're going. People have been trying to capture the "Star Wars" spirit in movies for over forty years now, sometimes successfully, usually not.

Are you waiting for new filmmakers to take a crack at SW or just hoping to find a new film or franchise that you enjoy as much?

Yeah, um....
Sometimes a post is just a post. Feel free to float on by 😉

Phroobar

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom