News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Finally got to go. Family and I loved it. Been a big fan of sw since I was a kid and I really liked the land. I thought the land was very detailed and i appreciate that they were trying to tell a new story with it instead of just trying to do a retelling of the movies with the rides and stuff like some of the fantasyland rides there. Favorite bit was the falcon ride but i wish the other one had been open too. I really liked the clone wars tv series too so seeing hondo again was a plus for me. The story of him looking to hire crew members to use the falcon to smuggle coaxium for both his profit and to benefit the resistance in exchange was neat and a totally hondo thing to do. We did it a few times, got pretty good and hope they add some more options in the future. But for now, the family liked it. It felt like there was a wide enough range of positions to fit what different people wanted out of the ride and I'm glad we were in control instead of stuck behind an AA like 3PO over on Star Tours. We built two droids. They felt sturdy and worth the money, the process felt like a more nerd-y build a bear but over all a lot of fun to see them come to life. They have a lot of expression but i wish they werent sold out of usb chips for them. They were sold out of porgs and some kyber crystal colors too but they had everything else we wanted. Food was really good!! We had some kind of braised rib for dinner at the resturant there and it was really tender. Tried both milks and liked them both. We did the cantina last in the night and I was thankful someone in our party made reservations because it seemed small. But even though it was small we had a good time and really enjoyed the drinks and we didnt feel rushed or anything. Employees were nice all day and we had a few chance enounters with rey, chewie, kylo and a first order officer which was so funny that I tried to start filming but realized I never even hit the record button! Doh.. but will definitely be going back again when they open the new ride. Want to build a lightsaber really badly after holding and seeing some of the ones people were carrying around
Were you hired by Disney to post on scoial media? We got a witch hunt currently going on? Why did your crops come in before mine?!

LanceQ

It’s refreshing to read somewhat positive reviews. For a while there I thought I was the crazy one for actually having a good time in GE.

I joined this forum a couple weeks ago specifically BECAUSE I had a good time in GE and wanted to talk to other people who went (since I know so few people in real life who have.)

Clearly, I knocked on the wrong door.... ;)

TROR

I joined this forum a couple weeks ago specifically BECAUSE I had a good time in GE and wanted to talk to other people who went (since I know so few people in real life who have.)

Clearly, I knocked on the wrong door.... ;)
I think a lot of takes here are more disappointment than outright hatred (like you'll find on MiceChat). That's definitely better as it means they can improve the land in the future.

LanceQ

I think a lot of takes here are more disappointment than outright hatred (like you'll find on MiceChat). That's definitely better as it means they can improve the land in the future.

I had a great time while also acknowledging that the park can and should be better. I'm no Disney parks expert, so reading here about many of the cancelled plans was disheartening. Clearly, the land is operating below its potential and I'd love nothing more for it to go from good to spectacular.

I don't begrudge anyone their opinions! (except for the cranks on Micechat.) ;P

DavidDL

yeah! to each their own. I really loved my time in the land but of course the area could be better, everything in the parks can be improved and they shouldn't stop trying to improve it. if they make swge better then that is going to make the area good for those who dont like it right now and make it great for people who already do. making something better is a win-win for both sides so i wouldn't argue against them adding stuff they cut back even if i already really like the area. i think they will eventually reach a point where guest satisfaction goes up overall with it even if it has some growing pains.

Monorail_Orange

I think this is key. As I posted a few weeks back, i had a good time, and enjoyed what's there. That having been said, the unrealized potential is staggering. And amazingly enough, TDO collectively seems to be just dumb enough to try the exact same mistakes (no improvements and all employee admissions are blocked out of DHS) as TDA, and think they will get a different result.

Phroobar

I think this is key. As I posted a few weeks back, i had a good time, and enjoyed what's there. That having been said, the unrealized potential is staggering. And amazingly enough, TDO collectively seems to be just dumb enough to try the exact same mistakes (no improvements and all employee admissions are blocked out of DHS) as TDA, and think they will get a different result.
Trapped tourists will stand in line for anything. (See Pandora)

Monorail_Orange

Maybe. But I think you can distinguish SW:GE as it stands now, from Pandora. FoP at least has a wow factor. The boat ride doesn't routinely draw significant waits compared to FoP. Soarin' was much the same way back in 2005 along with LWTL, to my memory. Reports, and evidence (offering resort discounts for September) also indicate hotel bookings have been soft at WDW so far.

The current corollary would be Pandora opening with just Navi River...I don't think it would have gotten the reception without FoP.

There's also a distinct possibility I'm giving the trapped tourist WAY too much credit, too! :hilarious:

Phroobar

Maybe. But I think you can distinguish SW:GE as it stands now, from Pandora. FoP at least has a wow factor. The boat ride doesn't routinely draw significant waits compared to FoP. Soarin' was much the same way back in 2005 along with LWTL, to my memory. Reports, and evidence (offering resort discounts for September) also indicate hotel bookings have been soft at WDW so far.

The current corollary would be Pandora opening with just Navi River...I don't think it would have gotten the reception without FoP.

There's also a distinct possibility I'm giving the trapped tourist WAY too much credit, too! :hilarious:
These are the same trapped tourists that wait in line for hours for the slinky dog coaster and alien version of Matters Junkyard. How smart can they be?

smooch

I still don't get why everyone dumps on Pandora here, sure it is a weird IP and only has two rides and only one is an E-Ticket but I went for the first time earlier this year and absolutely loved what they did. The rockwork is incredible in person and the jungle environment they created that is realistic yet alien is impressive, especially when it is lit up at night. FOP is an incredible ride and I think people give it too much flack because it is a screen ride. Yes it is a simulator but the ride vehicles you are on that move (although slightly still very convincingly when paired with the video) are very impressive and give you a sense of thrill. Would I have preferred a ride with physical sets and thrills like Indiana Jones? Yes. But I don't think FOP deserves all the flack it gets. I still have complaints like the lack of Na'vi walking around the land / anywhere in the land aside from one on the River Ride (which I also enjoyed, it was fun to sit and relax and see the cool environment despite the fact they used too many screens and should've had more physical animal animatronics) and stuff like that. Didn't mean to derail this Galaxy's Edge thread (as if I haven't seen it happen multiple times) but I just wanted to give my input on people constantly saying tourists will wait for anything in regards to Pandora when I genuinely do think it is something to wait in line for to experience and it is worth it.

TP2000

That's exactly what I was afraid of too.

It appears from preview reports that the DHS version is being staffed and operated exactly like the Disneyland version that underwhelmed me in late June. They had a solid 60 day window to tweak and make changes and at least boost the amount of characters in the land for DHS. But they haven't.

That tells us that the removal of all the interactive stuff and Star Wars characters from the land was an approach approved by senior executives for both coasts. It also shows that thus far those senior executives don't think it's going to be a problem for them long term, or that those senior executives are making an unwise decision.

I could understand that it would take more than a week or two to move lots of extra character staffing into the land, but at the 60 day mark that's plenty of time to move resources around to beef up a weak entertainment lineup. They failed to do that. The question is why?

Disney Analyst

That's exactly what I was afraid of too.

It appears from preview reports that the DHS version is being staffed and operated exactly like the Disneyland version that underwhelmed me in late June. They had a solid 60 day window to tweak and make changes and at least boost the amount of characters in the land for DHS. But they haven't.

That tells us that the removal of all the interactive stuff and Star Wars characters from the land was an approach approved by senior executives for both coasts. It also shows that thus far those senior executives don't think it's going to be a problem for them long term, or that those senior executives are making an unwise decision.

I could understand that it would take more than a week or two to move lots of extra character staffing into the land, but at the 60 day mark that's plenty of time to move resources around to beef up a weak entertainment lineup. They failed to do that. The question is why?

I mean... maybe Iger really does believe what he said on the call? People were too afraid to come out, due to Disney and others overhyping the crowds... ?

I mean I don’t firmly think the lack of extras in the land is what caused the low attendance at Disneyland as a whole.

TP2000

I mean I don’t firmly think the lack of extras in the land is what caused the low attendance at Disneyland as a whole.

I agree. The lack of extras and interactive stuff in the land had no impact on this summer's weak attendance. Their heavy handed approach to blockouts and a messy marketing message about sold-out reservations did that to them.

But surely once the land was up and running, and the response to those who went was so underwhelming compared to the sizzle they'd been hyping for years, they would have made some tweaks to the DHS version. They didn't. So that tells us that the decision to cut was from very high up the food chain and it's a decision they are not yet ready to alter.

I wonder what it will take? I think by mid September we'll have a solid handle on what the reaction is like to the DHS version, and what it does to attendance there. Can't wait!

Disney Analyst

I agree. The lack of extras and interactive stuff in the land had no impact on this summer's weak attendance. Their heavy handed approach to blockouts and a messy marketing message about sold-out reservations did that to them.

But surely once the land was up and running, and the response to those who went was so underwhelming compared to the sizzle they'd been hyping for years, they would have made some tweaks to the DHS version. They didn't. So that tells us that the decision to cut was from very high up the food chain and it's a decision they are not yet ready to alter.

I wonder what it will take? I think by mid September we'll have a solid handle on what the reaction is like to the DHS version, and what it does to attendance there. Can't wait!

Perhaps they are waiting to see the reaction at DHS? They may be trying to decide if this is a Disneyland only issue (in terms of guest reaction)? Disneyland is a different beast, with a much more unforgiving market, and there was definitely a large chunk of people who were always going to hate this due to where it was being built.

TP2000

Perhaps they are waiting to see the reaction at DHS? They may be trying to decide if this is a Disneyland only issue (in terms of guest reaction)? Disneyland is a different beast, with a much more unforgiving market, and there was definitely a large chunk of people who were always going to hate this due to where it was being built.

Yeah, there's definitely differences in demographics. But I've never really bought into the whole thing that East Coast audiences are that different than West Coast audiences. People are people, and they know when they're getting good value for their money.

While all of us here have had very vocal opinions about Star Wars Land, including me, the financials it is delivering in Anaheim may actually be fairly agreeable to Burbank. We all say how dead the place is, but it's not totally dead. Now DCA circa June, 2001 was DEAD, the place had flopped hard even before 9/11 hit.

While I'd like to think that the creative folks could step in and over-rule the sharp pencil boys, it may be that Star Wars Land in Anaheim is doing okay financially and so they're just going to roll with it and open the clone exactly the same way in DHS to see what happens.

disneylandcm

Yeah, there's definitely differences in demographics. But I've never really bought into the whole thing that East Coast audiences are that different than West Coast audiences. People are people, and they know when they're getting good value for their money.

While all of us here have had very vocal opinions about Star Wars Land, including me, the financials it is delivering in Anaheim may actually be fairly agreeable to Burbank. We all say how dead the place is, but it's not totally dead. Now DCA circa June, 2001 was DEAD, the place had flopped hard even before 9/11 hit.

While I'd like to think that the creative folks could step in and over-rule the sharp pencil boys, it may be that Star Wars Land in Anaheim is doing okay financially and so they're just going to roll with it and open the clone exactly the same way in DHS to see what happens.
I guess we’ll find out after the response to Rise of the Resistance and its effect.

(Thank you for continuing to post during this ‘stormy weather.’)

nokahoma

Rise of the Resistance won't fix everything that people have been disappointed by, but it'll help a lot. This ride is special.

I do think GE will do way better at DHS than at DL. Pretty much everybody I know is interested in going to what they know as Star Wars Land once it opens at Disney World. Most people on the East Coast never even think about going to Disneyland, and I know many people who didn't even realize it was opening out there before it was opening in Orlando until I told them. And I still think Disneyland's would be as crowded as everybody feared it would be if they hadn't blocked passholders all summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom